ENT: Singularity

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Durandal_1707
Captain

ENT: Singularity

Post by Durandal_1707 »

https://sfdebris.com/videos/startrek/e135.php

"Magnetic Balls Guy"? Is Chuck selling Buckyballs now? Do those even still exist?
TGLS
Captain

Re: ENT: Singularity

Post by TGLS »

Thinking about the discussion of using flashforwards, I'm reminded of how flashbacks are used in some episodes (like the one in Voyager where some Bajoran guy is shown looking at records of maquis, where it turns out he brainwashed them later) and how you can really simplify it to: "The purpose of a teaser, is to tease." I'm also reminded of how my copy of Asimov's robot mystery novels have a short excerpt from way later in the story on the very first page.
Durandal_1707 wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2024 1:29 pm https://sfdebris.com/videos/startrek/e135.php

"Magnetic Balls Guy"? Is Chuck selling Buckyballs now? Do those even still exist?
He's talking about a joke he made in tapestry years ago.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Durandal_1707
Captain

Post by Durandal_1707 »

TGLS wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2024 2:52 pm He's talking about a joke he made in tapestry years ago.
We need a Majel Barrett "Last Time On..." clip for things like this :D
HighPriest
Redshirt

Post by HighPriest »

"Perhaps by focusing on one incident, a single event that exemplifies your relationship with your father, you'll be able to condense your thoughts."

Preface begins: "When I think of my father, I most remember that one time the Vulcans were mean to him..."
Scififan
Officer

Post by Scififan »

I like this episode, it's kind of their The Naked Time episode.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

It's been awhile since I saw the episode. Was there a point where Mayweather was truly incapacitated that he couldn't develop his own 'thing'?
I got nothing to say here.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Another edition of: The NX-01 never should have been launched in the state that it was in.

Tactical alert - or red alert - never should have been invented by Reed on the fly. It should have been there from day one. A single button that activates every offensive and defensive system on the ship and gets everyone out of bed.

Let's add this to: the phase cannons not being installed, the torpedo guidance systems being broken, and the ship not actually being capable of reaching warp 5 with its warp 5 engine. And the multiple OSHA violations such as the lift that cuts your hand off - let us not forget those.

I'm not sure what the writers were playing at here. It makes Starfleet and Archer look stupid that the NX-01 was never recalled for a couple of weeks. At least the Enterprise-B was just doing a circuit of the Solar System which is why it wasn't fully equipped yet - the NX-01 is a frontier ship at a time when there were no other ships!
stryke
Captain

Post by stryke »

clearspira wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 9:47 pmI'm not sure what the writers were playing at here.
I'm not sure they knew either. It seemed like they had three ideas, hire someone with existing sci-fi name cred to be captain, show how much the vulcans suck cause they definitely thought that was a selling point for some reason, and attractive people rubbing each other all over with gel. Okay maybe a fourth in that they recognised that people liked the Akira ship design, so they figured they're just do that again, but flipped.

Rather felt like the NX-01 was a metaphor for the show itself. Really not ready for launch and crippled by self-sabotage due to incompetence and stupidity.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

clearspira wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 9:47 pm Another edition of: The NX-01 never should have been launched in the state that it was in.

Tactical alert - or red alert - never should have been invented by Reed on the fly. It should have been there from day one. A single button that activates every offensive and defensive system on the ship and gets everyone out of bed.

Let's add this to: the phase cannons not being installed, the torpedo guidance systems being broken, and the ship not actually being capable of reaching warp 5 with its warp 5 engine. And the multiple OSHA violations such as the lift that cuts your hand off - let us not forget those.

I'm not sure what the writers were playing at here. It makes Starfleet and Archer look stupid that the NX-01 was never recalled for a couple of weeks. At least the Enterprise-B was just doing a circuit of the Solar System which is why it wasn't fully equipped yet - the NX-01 is a frontier ship at a time when there were no other ships!
I think it's OK in the idea that the Enterprise was sent out unprepared and not fully completed due to Broken Bow.

I could forgive the phase cannons or the torpedo guidance not fully calibrated and functional. Those things who you do when in dock. Or that they never was able to fully achieve Warp 5 right out of dock. It kinda gives the vibes that they were sent sent out too soon. Also that they were still testing out systems.

The lift that could cut off fingers or hands should have never been on there in the first place. Even brand new ships, first of their class. Those sort of things get ironed out very early on from safety officers.
I got nothing to say here.
Nobody700
Captain

Post by Nobody700 »

Here's the question I have. Okay, the Enterprise was not finished. Fine, it was rushed quickly...

Why didn't they RETURN to Earth, have it finished, and return to the job? Oh, I know, because Archer couldn't handle admitting the ship was in ANY WAY flawed when it completely was. God I hate Archer.
Science Fiction is a genre where anything can happen. Just make sure what happens is enjoyable for yourself and your audience.