SG1: Seth

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Yerushalmi
Redshirt

SG1: Seth

Post by Yerushalmi »

Wow, that was a far more generous review than I would have made.

My answers to the questions of "How did Seth stay hidden on Earth for so long?" and "How does he still have modern technology" were more along the lines of "the writers were lazy". Between that and the presence of the Tok'ra, who I have never been able to stand, this is one of my least favorite episodes of the franchise.

Well, bottom 20 at any rate.
Morgaine
Officer

Re: SG1: Seth

Post by Morgaine »

Something that's always bugged me about this episode is that the actor playing Seth had previously played Daniel's father in a flashback.
I know it's a cliche, but the episode would've actually had significance if not only Seth got away, but he actually was inhabiting Daniel's father, especially as the episode's theme was already about estranged fathers and sons.

We could then have gotten into how Seth survived all this time, was it him who arranged Daniel's parents' accident, etc.
It could've also been the way Seth realises something up by recognising Daniel, instead of sensing the tok'ra remnant in Sam which just makes everyone look like an idiot for sending her down there.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

I always thought the "Stayed hidden since his downfall during Ra's time" is complete and utter bollocks. The Goa'Uld are pompous assholes, who just can not stay hidden and if one of them had thousands of years to do his bidding undisturbed, he'd easily come up with something more spectacular than the same suicidal death-cult over and over again, for thousands of years.

Also, the Tok'Ra only now notice that Set may still be on Earth? Really? And it only took them however many thousands of years between Ra being thrown off Earth and nowadays, plus the years between Ra's and Set's clash till Ra's exile to realize that? What? In the most conservative estimates that is at least 6.000 years. What? No wonder the Tok'Ra are such a no-factor in the grand scheme of things. They are completely incompetent. No way that this is true, thus just another Tok'Ra lie. Set just recently came to Earth and maybe did so every now and then in the past already, for whatever reason, which neatly also explains why his technology is still in working condition. Simply, because its new.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Durandal_1707
Captain

Post by Durandal_1707 »

Morgaine wrote:Something that's always bugged me about this episode is that the actor playing Seth had previously played Daniel's father in a flashback.
I know it's a cliche, but the episode would've actually had significance if not only Seth got away, but he actually was inhabiting Daniel's father, especially as the episode's theme was already about estranged fathers and sons.
Jeez Louise, didn't Daniel already have enough loved ones get possessed by the Goa'uld?!
Morgaine
Officer

Post by Morgaine »

Yes Seth's behavior is an absurdity in itself.
Especially so when not only has he kept some advanced tech, but every Goa'uld has the full knowledge of how to build and maintain all the technology they've appropriated over the years.
Even if the absence of Naquadah would be a hindrance, you'd think that by the post-industrial age Seth could've easily set himself up as an entrepreneur and technological wizard, gaining fame, power and adoration until he's essentially a world leader, especially so with his happy gas.
Durandal_1707 wrote:Jeez Louise, didn't Daniel already have enough loved ones get possessed by the Goa'uld?!
Some people just don't have any luck!
Dînadan
Officer

Post by Dînadan »

Morgaine wrote:Yes Seth's behavior is an absurdity in itself.
Especially so when not only has he kept some advanced tech, but every Goa'uld has the full knowledge of how to build and maintain all the technology they've appropriated over the years.
Even if the absence of Naquadah would be a hindrance, you'd think that by the post-industrial age Seth could've easily set himself up as an entrepreneur and technological wizard, gaining fame, power and adoration until he's essentially a world leader, especially so with his happy gas.
That would have made an interesting subplot if they revealed he’d been behind various technological revolutions throughout history, influencing/guiding things to advance humanity for his own ends. Could even have tied it into his banishment background by having him take advantage of Earth having ‘dropped off the map’ to be able to advance Earth tech to the point where they’d be a viable threat to the Goa’ould without the Goa’ould noticing, at which point he’d step out of the shadows to take over. The death cults could then be spun into his way of keeping his ego stroked while he bided his time.

Actually, thinking about it, as he probably didn’t have access to a sarcophagus, you wouldn’t even need to have him stay in the shadows with his cults all the time. The lack of a sarcophagus means he’d probably need to jump host every so often, so you could have him be a visible scientist/tech-wizard/etc, fake his death, drop into the shadows for a while and build a death cult (to keep his ego stroked) from which he selects a new host and after the cult commits mass suicide, he emerges under a new identity being the next generation’s notable top scientist. Rinse and repeat.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Dînadan wrote:That would have made an interesting subplot if they revealed he’d been behind various technological revolutions throughout history, influencing/guiding things to advance humanity for his own ends. Could even have tied it into his banishment background by having him take advantage of Earth having ‘dropped off the map’ to be able to advance Earth tech to the point where they’d be a viable threat to the Goa’ould without the Goa’ould noticing, at which point he’d step out of the shadows to take over. The death cults could then be spun into his way of keeping his ego stroked while he bided his time.
You mean, Set would actually have to be called Kane?
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Wargriffin
Captain

Post by Wargriffin »

Set's basically the precursor to Baal
"When you rule by fear, your greatest weakness is the one who's no longer afraid."
Ghilz
Officer

Post by Ghilz »

Morgaine wrote:Something that's always bugged me about this episode is that the actor playing Seth had previously played Daniel's father in a flashback.
At least they gave him a beard and a different haircut, and Daniel's dad is so barely seen, it's not noticeable. Compare Christopher Heyerdahl, who played a TON of supporting roles, including 2 major ones on Atlantis (Hailing, the main non-Teya athosian, and Todd). as well as a major role in 1 episode of SG1, who always looked the same (Except as a Wraith) and has a SUPER distinctive voice.

Or Garwin Sanford who plays Carter's sort of love interest on A BUNCH of episode and gets cast as Weir's boyfriend on Atlantis. Like, guys, really?
Dînadan
Officer

Post by Dînadan »

Ghilz wrote: Or Garwin Sanford who plays Carter's sort of love interest on A BUNCH of episode and gets cast as Weir's boyfriend on Atlantis. Like, guys, really?
At least they dodged that with McKay by changing the original scientist character to McKay when David Hewlet was cast in that role (unlike Locarno/Paris with McNiel over on Voyager).