The Hermit's Journey. To arms, prequel defenders, to arms!

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
GandALF
Officer

The Hermit's Journey. To arms, prequel defenders, to arms!

Post by GandALF »

http://sfdebris.com/videos/special/hermitsjourney.php

What? What!? Just cus you're a bunch of jaded old men like Mr. Plinkett who can't handle clunky dialogue ?

It's not that different from what it's based on:

youtu.be/DjQoPgOdtls

"Oh the CGI looks fake" Well so does the guy in the rubber mask, cut the double standards.

You probably remember a time from before Trump's first marriage.

You likely thought floppy disks were nifty and high tech at some point.

I bet you weren't upset that 9/11 interrupted your cartoons.

FACT: George Lucas is the Santa Claus of Cinema.

fite me irl scrubs.
Asvarduil
Officer

Re: The Hermit's Journey. To arms, prequel defenders, to arms!

Post by Asvarduil »

GandALF wrote:fite me irl scrubs.
Sigh

Relevant.
Archanubis
Officer

Post by Archanubis »

GandALF wrote:FACT: George Lucas is the Santa Claus of Cinema.
I thought that was Michael Bay.

*dives into nearby foxhole*
Morgaine
Officer

Post by Morgaine »

From my point of view George Lucas is evil.
Asvarduil
Officer

Post by Asvarduil »

Morgaine wrote:From my point of view George Lucas is evil.
He loosed the Jar-Jar on us. You're probably seeing with eyes unclouded.
Independent George
Officer

Post by Independent George »

Oh God, those 80s haircuts...
Hearthstone23
Redshirt

Post by Hearthstone23 »

Michael Jackson was going to play Jar Jar Binks. Truly that must be the darkest timeline.
Last edited by Hearthstone23 on Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RobbyB1982
Captain

Post by RobbyB1982 »

The saddest part about Jar Jar is, as the various fan edits show us... if you tone down his slapstick some and throw a different (alien filtered) voice on him, he worked just fine as a character and was actually kind of interesting... and oddly enough, the only character in the film that really had a defined personality and arc.

The Plinkett video famously has the test of "describe the character without mentioning their appearance or job" and people can't come up with anything for Qui Gon or Amidala.... but for Jar Jar you can say that he's a brash individual who thinks higher of himself than he deserves, a bit on the dim side as he's an idiot that doesn't know he is... kind of lazy and an unliked outcast troublemaker... who is naive about the outside world but curious to explore it... but he will be fiercely loyal to his friends and fight to the end even when he has no chance." And that's a REALLY solid and interesting character in there. And the design is even pretty interesting.

And its all just completely 1000% ruined by the actor, the voice and the slapstick.

The only actual *character* the film has, the only one that is truly memorable and interesting and giving any sort of performance... and he's awful.
Morgaine
Officer

Post by Morgaine »

It makes sense given how Lucas said multiple times that Jar Jar was the key to the prequel's success.
Unfortunately the execution was extremely poor. And I'm not sure focusing development on Jar Jar was a good idea to begin with given that audience were there to see Anakin and Obi-Wan, not a random alien lizard from nowhere.

Still it might have worked with proper execution, especially if the idea about Jar Jar being the "fool mastermind" had been true.
Not necessarily a Sith Lord but someone who's machinations led to Palpatine's rise. But that would've required far more of a nuanced "fool" than we got.
TheNewTeddy
Officer

Post by TheNewTeddy »

I'm glad to see this came out as I'd noticed it for patrons and was sad thinking I'd never get to see it on account of being a poor.

and as I was watching this I did realize as the OP did that this is chuck's answer to plinkett, and I like it! Don't get me wrong I like plinkett, but chuck is not plinkett, he's chuck, and this is an excellent review trilogy.