Problem Ads

Report all board glitches and bugs in this forum, please. Our staff of competent, highly-trained forum orangutans will assist you. Just don't call them monkeys.
Rocketboy1313
Captain

Problem Ads

Post by Rocketboy1313 »

I occasionally get an ad for either Testosterone Replacement Therapy or Basketball that is a silent link.

Unfortunately, regardless of whether I sit thru the ad or skip the ad it still does not allow the video to play afterward.

I told Chuck about this before via Twitter and he said he complained, but I figured I would start a forum thing here to post about this kind of thing when it crops up.
My Blog: http://rocketboy1313.blogspot.com/
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rocketboy1313
My Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/rocketboy1313
My Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/13rocketboy13
Sloloem
Redshirt

Re: Problem Ads

Post by Sloloem »

If it helps in debugging the issue what I've noticed is that every video ad will work fine and every simple image ad will fail to play the episode afterwards regardless of whether or not you sit through the entire time, skip the ad after a few seconds, or click the ad itself.
Dînadan
Officer

Post by Dînadan »

Sloloem wrote:If it helps in debugging the issue what I've noticed is that every video ad will work fine and every simple image ad will fail to play the episode afterwards regardless of whether or not you sit through the entire time, skip the ad after a few seconds, or click the ad itself.
Same here, although last night I tried to watch the Johnny Quest reviews and had silent/still ads and when I skipped them the review video had started playing 'behind' the ad but was completely silent with no way of pausing the video, making it full screen or altering the audio. Don't recall what the ad that caused that new problem was though.
SpacePaladin
Redshirt

Post by SpacePaladin »

Some of the times the ads will not play, or the ads will play a static image that lasts for about 15 seconds but won't play afterwards.
Leon2309
Redshirt

Post by Leon2309 »

One way around this problem is when the video starts loading, click the spinner in the center until either the video or the ad starts to play. This has allowed me to dodge the ads that stop the video from playing, while still allowing ads that don't screw things up through.
Durandal_1707
Captain

Post by Durandal_1707 »

There's currently an ad showing up in the forums that's making them pretty much impossible to use without turning an ad blocker on. It's taking over the browser's scroll feature and forcing the window to be scrolled to where the ad is, making it impossible to read posts out of range of it.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Not exactly annoying but relevant: the mobile version of the forum chops off the right side of the ads.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Void
Redshirt

Post by Void »

Second part of Alpha Centauri is suffering from this for me. Nothing I do will get anything but an empty black box after the ad finishes (ironically an ad for broadband).
Void
Redshirt

Post by Void »

Now I can't watch Exosquad 11 due to the same issue (varsity tutor ad).
Tonesthegeek
Redshirt

Post by Tonesthegeek »

I'm actually getting a problem with the video ads as well. First it starts playing a short unskippable one, about three quarters of the way through it just starts itself over, then when it finally finishes, it then says loading ad meaning it wants to play yet another one. Next thing I know instead of the Star Trek review, it starts playing some stupid modern French political documentary with no scrolling, pause, or skip option. I let the video play just in the hope it was only a couple minutes, it went on for nearly 10. While it's nice to know if I should become a French citizen tomorrow I know who to vote for in the upcoming election, I just wanted to watch a Star Trek review, I know this isn't Chuck's fault, by this is the worst video playing service I've ever encountered, makes me almost miss Blip.