Batman: TAS: Beware the Grey Ghost

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
J!!
Captain

Re: Batman: TAS: Beware the Grey Ghost

Post by J!! »

i remember seeing this episode when it first came out, but not realizing who the guest-star was until i saw it again years later. even without that knowledge, it was always one of my favorite episodes. it's not an easy thing to tell such a complete story in just 20 minutes, but then, that's what this show does best.

also, i just thought the r.c. car-bombs were the coolest damn thing. but what the hell kind of collector would ever blow up his mint-condition 30 year old toys?
Dînadan
Officer

Post by Dînadan »

J!! wrote: also, i just thought the r.c. car-bombs were the coolest damn thing. but what the hell kind of collector would ever blow up his mint-condition 30 year old toys?
Well he is the Mad Bomber. ;)

On the episode, I've heard that Timm and Dini have said that if Adam West had turned down the role, then they would have scrapped the episode, which adds another layer to the 'love letter from the fans' aspect.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Submitted for your approval, a short fan film, "The Gray Ghost 'lost reel'":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spOeMWEBpy0
GandALF
Officer

Post by GandALF »

Video release? I thought Gotham was permanently stuck in the 40s?
J!!
Captain

Post by J!! »

fun fact: part of the reason for the show's retro-mashup aesthetic was so that they could get away with having realistic firearms on a kid's show, rather than being forced to use scifi rayguns by the network censors.
FaxModem1
Captain

Post by FaxModem1 »

GandALF wrote:Video release? I thought Gotham was permanently stuck in the 40s?
I think Bruce Timm once explained it as a world with modern day technology, but never left Art Deco and other 1940s technologies and culture behind.
Dînadan
Officer

Post by Dînadan »

FaxModem1 wrote:
GandALF wrote:Video release? I thought Gotham was permanently stuck in the 40s?
I think Bruce Timm once explained it as a world with modern day technology, but never left Art Deco and other 1940s technologies and culture behind.
Additionally, I think he said they were aiming for something that had no definitive time period and the mash-up was to help prevent it becoming dated within a couple of years; which is something I believe the producers of Gotham have said they're trying to replicate with the mash-up of technology on that show.
Wargriffin
Captain

Post by Wargriffin »

Fun Fact: The Collector is voiced by none other then Bruce Timm himself

which adds a bit a meta irony considering timm's reputation in recent years when it comes to the bat mythos
"When you rule by fear, your greatest weakness is the one who's no longer afraid."
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Wargriffin wrote:which adds a bit a meta irony considering timm's reputation in recent years when it comes to the bat mythos
Elaborate, please.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox