Zach Snyder's Justice League (Spoilers) thread

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
McAvoy
Captain

Re: Zach Snyder's Justice League (Spoilers) thread

Post by McAvoy »

I was mainly talking about the length of the movie and pacing. This movie needs to cut between 90 to 120 minutes.

Cutting down the slo mo scenes would help too. The end scene with Batman's future vision could be cut down alot too. It's only useful in this movie due to it being a hopeful stepping point for more movies.
I got nothing to say here.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

I think Snyder needs to pull his head out of his ass and deflate his ego. And none of this is because I like Whedon better, since as far as I'm concerned Whedon can go piss up a rope.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:54 pm I think Snyder needs to pull his head out of his ass and deflate his ego. And none of this is because I like Whedon better, since as far as I'm concerned Whedon can go piss up a rope.
Snyder to me is just like JJ Abrams and Michael Bay. Heavy on the visuals and not enough attention to the story.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Also Steppenwolf is a pretty underwhelming choice of villain for a story about a whole group of superheroes coming together.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Rocketboy1313
Captain

Post by Rocketboy1313 »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:01 am Also Steppenwolf is a pretty underwhelming choice of villain for a story about a whole group of superheroes coming together.
It is also a Steppenwolf in name only.
If they wanted to make a Steppenwolf movie they should have made... well, "Predator".
He is a god of hunting.

In this movie he is MUCH MORE like Kalibak, Darkseid's son who is constantly trying to prove his worth.
My Blog: http://rocketboy1313.blogspot.com/
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rocketboy1313
My Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/rocketboy1313
My Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/13rocketboy13
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:01 am Also Steppenwolf is a pretty underwhelming choice of villain for a story about a whole group of superheroes coming together.
He seems more like a backstory character.
..What mirror universe?
Beelzquill
Officer

Post by Beelzquill »

Steppenwolf in the comics is Darkseid's uncle, and a brilliant general, not really known for failure, banishment, nor even a lot of frontline fighting. Kalibak might have been a better Apocalyptian character since he is Darkseid's son who constantly fails him and tries to earn his good graces and is a brute who is strong enough to go toe to toe with Superman. I wonder if Snyder even had a thought about introducing New Genesis and Orion, Darkseid's other son who was prophesized to kill him, into the DCEU. Probably not, because that would require actual lore and backstory.
Winter
Captain

Post by Winter »

Part of the problem with this film is that is suffers a lot of similar issues Batman V Superman had. To much navel gazing, spectacle for it's own sake, little understanding of the characters it's adapting, more on that soon, and it just feels like it's talking down to the viewer. And again it seems to be finding anything and everything it can to stretch out it's run time. Like, I've seen comparison scenes and the fact that whole seconds of unneeded parts of a fight that don't add anything just so the film can reach a 4 hour run time is just silly.

But for me, one of the things this film really fails at is with the character of Cyborg. In the comics Cyborg was always presented as a more upbeat and optimistic character despite of, or even because of, the accident that made him what he is. This is an issue that has been following the character for a while now so I don't blame Snyder for this but I am annoyed that both versions of the film utterly botch the character of Victory Stone aka Cyborg.

Snyder just doesn't seem to understand these characters and changes them in little ways that alters them to be nearly unrecognizable. Hardly anyone in this film smiles and spend most of their time glaring even in situations where they don't really have a reason to glare. I'm sure this film will be with us for a long time to come but I think it's going to end up like Star Wars' Dark Empire. Popular now but over time it will get backlash and everyone will over blow its flaws until it settles into a middle ground of being like enough to still be remembered fondly but not as good as when it first came out.
Rocketboy1313
Captain

Post by Rocketboy1313 »

Winter wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:20 pm But for me, one of the things this film really fails at is with the character of Cyborg. In the comics Cyborg was always presented as a more upbeat and optimistic character despite of, or even because of, the accident that made him what he is. This is an issue that has been following the character for a while now so I don't blame Snyder for this but I am annoyed that both versions of the film utterly botch the character of Victory Stone aka Cyborg.
I would argue this is not a failure of Snyder, but a failure of the DC movies rollout.
The moody, traumatized, come to terms character arc that would shape Cyborg from "Fuck you, Dad" to "BOO-YAH!" would happen in their own movie series.

I mean, lets point to Thor, starts off as a headstrong bully and ends his first movie as willing to be the measured hero he should be, then Dark World starts to pick apart his view of his father and builds on his relationship with his mom and brother, and the RAGNORAK has Thor as a full on fun adventurous and proud leader that he needed to be.

Justice League robbed the audience of that broad and rich universe building to something momentous.
My Blog: http://rocketboy1313.blogspot.com/
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rocketboy1313
My Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/rocketboy1313
My Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/13rocketboy13
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Rocketboy1313 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:28 pm
It is also a Steppenwolf in name only.
If they wanted to make a Steppenwolf movie they should have made... well, "Predator".
He is a god of hunting.

In this movie he is MUCH MORE like Kalibak, Darkseid's son who is constantly trying to prove his worth.
I agree. His new backstory for this movie seems to mesh very well with Kalibak. I can't remember from the Whedon version if that one had one outside him just arriving to Earth.

The other thing is that he does seem to be roughly on par, maybe slightly more powerful than WW and Aquaman. Superman shows up just like the other version and completely dominates the fight. That big axe doesn't even threaten Superman. Like in the Whedon movie, you basically get the idea that Superman could have dealt with Steppenwolf by himself.

Darkseid honestly should not have been taken down like he did earlier in the movie either. Darkseid is the sort of villian that even Superman struggles with alot. In fact I think it should have been Steppenwolf in Darkseid's place like Whedon's version.

Darkseid should be like he is in the comics where he doesn't get his hands dirty unless absolutely necessary.