Zach Snyder's Justice League (Spoilers) thread

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
McAvoy
Captain

Re: Zach Snyder's Justice League (Spoilers) thread

Post by McAvoy »

I bet someone out there is hard at work creating a super cut using both versions and probably cutting it down.
I got nothing to say here.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

DId Ann Samoff say that Snyder fans are toxic and this is the end of this nightmare.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:36 am DId Ann Samoff say that Snyder fans are toxic and this is the end of this nightmare.
Ehhh. Lately we have been seeing a bad backlash on fans of franchises. Calling those who are overly critical as being toxic. I think it may have started with the 2016 Ghostbusters. Basically anyone who is critical of a movie like Star Wars or Ghostbusters or Star Trek are neck bearded losers in living in their parents basement at age 40.
Winter
Captain

Post by Winter »

McAvoy wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:26 am
Thebestoftherest wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:36 am DId Ann Samoff say that Snyder fans are toxic and this is the end of this nightmare.
Ehhh. Lately we have been seeing a bad backlash on fans of franchises. Calling those who are overly critical as being toxic. I think it may have started with the 2016 Ghostbusters. Basically anyone who is critical of a movie like Star Wars or Ghostbusters or Star Trek are neck bearded losers in living in their parents basement at age 40.
It's been going on for a LOT longer then 2016's Ghostbusters it's just now it's getting more attention. I mean, look at M. Night Shyamalan and his fanbase before the release of The Last Airbender. As far as he and his fans were concern his movies were brilliant and if you didn't enjoy them then you were stupid and clearly never saw a REAL film before.

Same thing happened back in 2012 with the release of Mass Effect 3 and it's still infamous ending. Fans were lambasted by critics and the creators for being ungrateful, self-entitled, crybabies who wouldn't know real art if it tapped them on their slopping foreheads. And months before Ghostbusters: Answer the Call, Batman v Superman was hit with criticality mixed reviews and fans of the film were POSITIVE that it was because Disney was bribing the critics and fans to praise Marvel and criticize DC because anyone who saw the film would know that the film was true art.

Hell, going back even further, Chuck pointed out that defenders of Star Trek The Motion Picture used this very same argument to defend that film. That if you don't like it you just to stupid to understand the high art of the film and that anyone who likes The Wrath of Khan more only like it because it's a brainless action flick.

I've said before that the "stories released today aren't as good as deep and good as they use to be" is one of the oldest arguments that are, quite frankly, complete nonsense. You are entitled to your opinion but I can, and have, pointed to stories that are just as good as the stories from the "Good Old Days". Sometimes a story is just misunderstood and ahead of it's time and sometimes it's just part of a fad that will fade away.

But there will always be people who try to defend said story by just saying that anyone and everyone who enjoys/dislikes X is a sheep who can't think for themselves.

That's why I so strongly disliked that review of Rise of Skywalker were the reviewer put the blame for how the film turned out on the fans. His argument basically boiled down to "It's not enough that I like the Last Jedi and Dislike Rise of Skywalker, everyone who disagrees with me on this is WRONG!!!"

Sooner of later everyone will lose interest in this argument before it spikes up again. It always happens.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Winter wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:24 am
McAvoy wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:26 am
It's been going on for a LOT longer then 2016's Ghostbusters it's just now it's getting more attention. I mean, look at M. Night Shyamalan and his fanbase before the release of The Last Airbender. As far as he and his fans were concern his movies were brilliant and if you didn't enjoy them then you were stupid and clearly never saw a REAL film before.

Same thing happened back in 2012 with the release of Mass Effect 3 and it's still infamous ending. Fans were lambasted by critics and the creators for being ungrateful, self-entitled, crybabies who wouldn't know real art if it tapped them on their slopping foreheads. And months before Ghostbusters: Answer the Call, Batman v Superman was hit with criticality mixed reviews and fans of the film were POSITIVE that it was because Disney was bribing the critics and fans to praise Marvel and criticize DC because anyone who saw the film would know that the film was true art.

Hell, going back even further, Chuck pointed out that defenders of Star Trek The Motion Picture used this very same argument to defend that film. That if you don't like it you just to stupid to understand the high art of the film and that anyone who likes The Wrath of Khan more only like it because it's a brainless action flick.

I've said before that the "stories released today aren't as good as deep and good as they use to be" is one of the oldest arguments that are, quite frankly, complete nonsense. You are entitled to your opinion but I can, and have, pointed to stories that are just as good as the stories from the "Good Old Days". Sometimes a story is just misunderstood and ahead of it's time and sometimes it's just part of a fad that will fade away.

But there will always be people who try to defend said story by just saying that anyone and everyone who enjoys/dislikes X is a sheep who can't think for themselves.

That's why I so strongly disliked that review of Rise of Skywalker were the reviewer put the blame for how the film turned out on the fans. His argument basically boiled down to "It's not enough that I like the Last Jedi and Dislike Rise of Skywalker, everyone who disagrees with me on this is WRONG!!!"

Sooner of later everyone will lose interest in this argument before it spikes up again. It always happens.
I wasn't talking about fan on fan reactions. But more of a combined studio and fan versus critical fan reaction.

I mean the guy who did Ghostbusters will every once in awhile make comments about how fans of the original movie killed his. Or Rian Johnson too for that matter.
Winter
Captain

Post by Winter »

McAvoy wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:38 am I wasn't talking about fan on fan reactions. But more of a combined studio and fan versus critical fan reaction.

I mean the guy who did Ghostbusters will every once in awhile make comments about how fans of the original movie killed his. Or Rian Johnson too for that matter.
I don't see the difference. Be it the creators, the fans or critics this sort of argument has been part of pop culture for literally centuries.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Winter wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:57 am
McAvoy wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:38 am I wasn't talking about fan on fan reactions. But more of a combined studio and fan versus critical fan reaction.

I don't see the difference. Be it the creators, the fans or critics this sort of argument has been part of pop culture for literally centuries.
There is a huge difference in not only having the creator but the studio voice these sort of things versus a fan with a Webcam.
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

All I’ll say is I wish we got something closer to what Snyder might have delivered way back in 2017 in theaters, because it was NEVER going to be this four hour monstrosity. So it’s not even valid to compare the two cuts because one was meant for traditional theatrical release and the other was for a streaming service you can watch in however manner you like.

Having watched it in two chunks, I can easily see how this film can be cut down to at least something under 3 hours.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Yeah, plus is he really a good movie director if to get a good movie you needs to make such an large exception that under any other circumstances it would never been even concider let along done.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

I watched Steve Shives take on the Synder Cut. It is what you expect. Snyder fans or stans like he calls them are toxic. Whedon's cut is better.