Rock & Rule

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
BBally81
Officer

Re: Rock & Rule

Post by BBally81 »

youtu.be/ukuNCbJ7H-4

This video is supposed to be the original Canadian version with Omar's original voice actor as well as some differences from the US version. SPOILERS (highlight if you want to see spoilers): The scene where the beast eats the audience was edited out and it shows Zip actually survived at the end despite his injuries.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

I've got to say this about Cindy.

"Man, Harley Quinn lost a lot of weight before hooking up with the Joker."
drewder
Officer

Post by drewder »

They seemed oddly obsessed with rock and roll in the 70s and before you say the movie was released in 1983 I'll remind you that it started production in 1978.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

drewder wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:23 pm They seemed oddly obsessed with rock and roll in the 70s and before you say the movie was released in 1983 I'll remind you that it started production in 1978.
When it comes to musicals, the 80s had a big obsession with the 70s anyway. Either by being in love with it, or despising it.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Deledrius wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:53 am
drewder wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:23 pm They seemed oddly obsessed with rock and roll in the 70s and before you say the movie was released in 1983 I'll remind you that it started production in 1978.
When it comes to musicals, the 80s had a big obsession with the 70s anyway. Either by being in love with it, or despising it.
Which is weird because we now have an obsession with the 80s.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:10 pm
People say that, but it feels like the details always end up being about the 90s.
BunBun299
Officer

Post by BunBun299 »

I get the feeling watching this review that I have in fact seen it before, but a very long time ago. Certain elements are just too familiar. But, I have no conscious memory of anything.
Kinky Vorlon
Officer

Post by Kinky Vorlon »

Nostalgia never changes.
The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And our lives slip away moment by moment lost in that vast, terrible in-between.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Deledrius wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:56 pm
People say that, but it feels like the details always end up being about the 90s.
The 90s and 80s are much more linked to each other, than most other decades in my opinion, interestingly because of the contrast of the dark 80s future-expectation and the hopeful outlook of the 90s future. What's interesting in hindsight is, that the 80s look in the future turned out to be correct.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
griffeytrek
Officer

Post by griffeytrek »

There was a sort of confluence between Rock Music and Theatrical Stage that hit big in the late 70's. Look at Meatloaf and anything by his main songwriter Jim Steinman as good period examples. KISS as well. Xanadu might be viewed as a BAD period example in almost every way possible.

A sort of Coda to the period is probably the 1984 quasi bomb that later achieved a cult following, and had an oddly tremendous influence on a lot of other better received movies, "Streets of Fire". (Song's by jim Steinman). I can't remember if Chuck has covered it. If not it should be on his eventual list. Think of the moody tones from Rock and Rule, done live action, in a style of cinematography that would pretty much become Batman's movie and TV signature going forward. (so not lying, pretty much everything bout Gotham from Burton to TAS was inspired by this movie. Over in the Anime world Bubblegum Crisis too.)

One other takeaway from watching Chuck's Rock and Rule review. I had forgotten what a hidden gem The Devil and Daniel Mouse was. Now I'm going to have to hunt that one down.