Star Trek: Discovery - spoilery thoughts?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
GandALF
Officer

Re: Star Trek: Discovery - thoughts?

Post by GandALF »

technobabbler wrote: from the limited news that I've heard of (I don't follow Trek news), the Disco-Klingons are supposed to be an allegory about Trump supporters. A little ham-fisted, but ok, I'll go with that.
I'm fine with it so long as the feds remain imperfect and don't go into early TNG smugness.
technobabbler wrote: But the writing/episodes so far (arguably) portray the Federation more like European "White Man Burden" colonial imperialists and the Klingons are written (arguably) as sympathetic. To me, STD/Disco is more like the British v. Zulus. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Zulu_War
Well Trek is heavily influenced by Horatio Hornblower.
technobabbler wrote: willing to suspend my disbelief on Shroom-Warp but given it's never mentioned again for the next 100 years----writers are pushing it.
It does seem to hurt that cat-slug thing. Maybe they abandon it for ethical reasons? The episode's name seems to hint at that.
LittleRaven
Captain

Post by LittleRaven »

GandALF wrote:It does seem to hurt that cat-slug thing. Maybe they abandon it for ethical reasons? The episode's name seems to hint at that.
No way. I can see limiting it to emergencies or something, but power like that? You don't abandon it because something gets hurt. Especially given that sooner or later you could figure out a way to reproduce whatever Ripper's supplying with a supercomputer.
Paul Walker
Officer

Post by Paul Walker »

I've had my first real facepalm moment:

O-type stars are not yellow/orange, and are actually an icy blue colour. Basic astronomy fail from the visual effects/science team :(
"We are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
technobabbler
Officer

Post by technobabbler »

Paul Walker wrote:I've had my first real facepalm moment:
:(
When I saw that scene, part of me was thinking----'c'mon, space is so vast that the odds of you materializing right above a star are near zero.'

But I'm ok w/technobabble + drama = a Shroom-Warp miscalculation means hitting a star.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

technobabbler wrote:And as in-universe, we never see a canon big-picture Alpha Quadrant map, for all we know, the Klingon Empire is on the verge of being surrounded by an expansionist Federation on one side and Romulans on the other (yes, space is 3-D ...assume everyone's on the same plane)
We actually have one. It's from the TNG-episode where our heroes go to Earth to fight a Goa'Uld-invasion before there were Goa'Ulds (TNG - Conspiracy):

Technically it first appeared in "Star Trek VI - The Undiscovered Country", but it's barely visible even on the best video material. Upon closer inspection of the original used, you can find a star named "Kling" in the furthest sector to the right. This was before the Klingon Homeworld was established as being called Quo'nos or however it is spelled. There's also a larger and more easily readable version:

"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Paul Walker
Officer

Post by Paul Walker »

technobabbler wrote:
:(
When I saw that scene, part of me was thinking----'c'mon, space is so vast that the odds of you materializing right above a star are near zero.'

But I'm ok w/technobabble + drama = a Shroom-Warp miscalculation means hitting a star.
That's presuming that there is an equal probability of ending up at any 'in range' location. Should the gravity of an object be important, then a star would a very reasonable place to end up. And an O-type (thereby massive) star would be particularly likely for a materialisation point.

And yes, I am watching a science fiction show. I expect them to make up all kinds of new science. What I expect them to do is use the made-up science in tandem with real science. Voyager used actual forensic techniques a few times, and figured out roughly what explosive yields might be for certain explosions.

Surely a show set in space can research "what colours are stars?".

O - blue
B - blue / white
A - white
F - white
G - white /touch of yellow
K - yellow/orange
M - red

It was almost as bad as Gravity messing up Newtons Third Law twice, in two different ways :(
"We are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
FakeGeekGirl
Officer

Post by FakeGeekGirl »

O-type stars are not yellow/orange, and are actually an icy blue colour. Basic astronomy fail from the visual effects/science team :(
Oh I missed that. That's actually more egregious because it's not soft sci-fi ... it's just plain getting it wrong.
Durandal_1707
Captain

Post by Durandal_1707 »

Well, our sun isn't actually yellow either, but that doesn't stop it from constantly being depicted that way (even some NASA photos apply a filter). If Sol has to put up with that, I don't see why other stars shouldn't have to too. :P
MissKittyFantastico
Officer

Post by MissKittyFantastico »

Just caught episode three, and still very much enjoying the show.

But when I saw the tribble on Lorca's desk sitting like two feet away from his bowl of fortune cookies, I cannot properly convey how desperately I wanted there to be two tribbles next time there was a scene in the ready room. Even if that's as far as they took the joke (I mean, obviously I'm imagining by episode five they open the door and get buried in an avalanche of them), just that one moment would have made me lose it so freakin' hard.
King of the owls
Officer

Post by King of the owls »

I really enjoyed episode 4. Things finally seem to be clicking writing wise and I got to say I like L’Rell. Always good to see well developed female villain.
Next week's episode might reveal some more things about Lorca or at least give us a chance to see a different side of him.