Prince Philip Dies

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
clearspira
Overlord

Prince Philip Dies

Post by clearspira »

A great man. The longest lived Royal consort. WW2 vet. In many ways a man Britain could be proud of.

I wonder what will happen to Her Majesty. Poor woman.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
TGLS
Captain

Re: Prince Philip Dies

Post by TGLS »

Well I guess the Prince Philip Movement is going to be a bit upset.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Beelzquill
Officer

Post by Beelzquill »

Damn, 99 years old and only 2 months away from making 100.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Beelzquill wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:30 pm Damn, 99 years old and only 2 months away from making 100.
I'm sure all of England and a lot of the rest of the world is right behind you there.
Power laces... alright.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

clearspira wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:54 am A great man. The longest lived Royal consort. WW2 vet. In many ways a man Britain could be proud of.

I wonder what will happen to Her Majesty. Poor woman.
That's a good question. Sometimes when one goes the other goes shortly afterwards. Happened to my grandparents. Grandpa himself just turned 99 when a month later he died in his sleep. My grandmother died seven months later.
I got nothing to say here.
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

In before Fuzzy~

I loved the man's quips. He certainly wasn't PC.
"Do you still throw spears at each other?"

Said to Australian Aborigines
If it has got four legs and it is not a chair, if it has got two wings and it flies but is not an aeroplane, and if it swims and it is not a submarine, the Cantonese will eat it.
People think there's a rigid class system here, but dukes have been known to marry chorus girls. Some have even married Americans.
A horse which stops dead just before a jump and thus propels its rider into a graceful arc provides a splendid excuse for general merriment.
I've never been noticeably reticent about talking on subjects about which I know nothing.
You can't have been here long, you haven't got a pot belly.

Talking to British students attending a Rumanian university
So you are the people tearing down the Brazilian rainforest and breeding cattle.
You're just a silly little Whitehall twit: you don't trust me and I don't trust you.
It doesn't look like much work goes on at this university.
If it doesn't fart or eat hay, she isn't interested.

About the Queen
What about Tom Jones? He's made a million and he's a bloody awful singer.
It's my custom to say something flattering to begin with so I shall be excused if I put my foot in it later on.
Young people are the same as they always were. They are just as ignorant.
It looks like the kind of thing my daughter would bring back from school art lessons.
Oh! You're the people ruining the rivers.
Well, you didn't design your beard too well, did you?
You look like you're ready for bed!

Said in 2003 to President of Nigeria, who was in national dress
Not another fucking bulkhead!

Said being given a tour of a new RN destroyer
And my all time favourite:
Do you know they have eating dogs for the anorexic now?
I also love a story about what happened to his Jack Russel Terrier, Jock, once. Jock could do not wrong in his eyes and was a particularly snotty terrier which everyone hated except Prince Philip. One day he was pestering the cooking staff and a cook had had enough. He grabbed Jock and stuffed him in an oven for few seconds to freak him out. He let him go and Jock ran straight to Prince Philip. Hopping up on his lap, Philip exclaimed "Why Jock, you're rather warm today!".
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Beastro, I've got you topped.
In the event that I am reincarnated, I would like to return as a deadly virus, to contribute something to solving overpopulation
Anyone sure he died today and not early in 2020? o___o
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Wow, what a lovely person. :|
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Deledrius wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:02 am Wow, what a lovely person. :|
I find it's best not to judge people until you've walked a mile in their shoes.
Power laces... alright.
Muzer
Redshirt

Post by Muzer »

To be honest I suspect that was probably a failed attempt at a joke, rather than him actually wishing death on large numbers of people.

I think the think about Prince Philip is that a lot of people saw him as like your granddad who constantly makes jokes but just doesn't realise (or, if you want to be cynical, is willingly ignorant to) how hurtful it is to some people to say the sorts of things he does. I think because so many people know someone like that a lot of people were more willing to cut him slack even for his worse blunders.