Indiana Jones 5 interest?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Beelzquill
Officer

Indiana Jones 5 interest?

Post by Beelzquill »

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/256609 ... -mikkelsen

Does anybody here care about a new Indiana Jones movie? I don't, but I've never been a big fan of the franchise, I liked the first three sure, but I didn't really have enough investment to outright hate Crystal Skull.
I wonder how that Crystal Skull Vodka Dan Aykroyd made is? I like Mads Mikkelson, so I hope it's good I guess.
Winter
Captain

Re: Indiana Jones 5 interest?

Post by Winter »

The way I see it, I enjoyed Indy 4 but agree that it's not a great movie and since there seems to be an Star Trek Movie Curse going on with odd numbers being considered great films while the even numbers are looked down upon I'm interested in seeing the film in that regards as I do want the series to go out on a high note instead of having Indy 4 be the finale. BUT I'm not Interested interested in the film yet because I haven't seen any previews or anything about it. I wasn't exited for the Force Awakens until I saw the trailers so I'm waiting on saying what I think until I see teh advertising.
HumanXeroxMachine
Redshirt

Post by HumanXeroxMachine »

For me Indy ended in 1989. Crystal Skull was a monumental disappointment. I don't see this new one fairing much better. I don't care either way so I won't be seeing it.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

I don't know much about it. As I understand it though its another ''Harrison Ford is incredibly old so lets replace him'' Indy film. Not something I would drop fifteen bob on.
Kinky Vorlon
Officer

Post by Kinky Vorlon »

Fuck no. I'm tired of these remakes and shitquels and prequels and sequels to prequels.
The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And our lives slip away moment by moment lost in that vast, terrible in-between.
Captain Crimson
Captain

Post by Captain Crimson »

Well, for one thing, there's two factors that concern me.

1) Ms. Kennedy is going to be overseeing this.
2) Mr. Spielberg is in a limited directorial role.

I think what we've seen in recent years is going to repeat here. There will be bad writing, hamfisted identity politics (not in itself a bad thing, if subtle, well written), and more ignoring of the past while taking a handful of elements from the past to try to sell to a wider audience. The paradox that makes studio suits money short-term, but doesn't sustain itself past that, and leads to mixed audience sentiment.

If they really want to make money, long-term, and still be remembered when the pendulum swings back the other way, then they need to ditch the woke. As is, they're making movies now for only a tiny minority here and balancing that off overseas markets and the monolithic bulk of their parent companies.
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Post by ProfessorDetective »

I mean, I'll watch it and probably be fine with it (I was one of those weirdos who was cool with Skull), but I'm more interested in the VIDEO GAME the Wolfenstine team is putting out. https://twitter.com/bethesda/status/1349023307228704770
Captain Crimson
Captain

Ditto. I'm just saying, I'm tired of the Hollywood woke arrogance, to think by ditching the hardcore fans, they can hit a wider audience. I mean, this has been in development limbo for a decade, that shows a lot of problems behind-the-scenes.

Even so, there is probably a lot you could enjoy in Indy 5, as with the DSWST. I actually don't hate Indy 4, really. I'll even accept goofiness like Mr. LaBeouf's literal monkey business (the world's strongest nuclear fridge, that I won't defend). I'm just a bit concerned that the incoming criticisms on how they've "ruined Indiana Jones," we'd have to be foolish to think there's no truth there, there's a little truth in everything, and it'd be nice just once to have LF take the L without resorting to playing the race and gender card. But they're too full of themselves not to.
Beelzquill
Officer

Post by Beelzquill »

Kathleen Kennedy is involved? Well, I guess that's not a good sign. I just hope they don't waste Mads Mikkelson, I like that actor.
Captain Crimson
Captain

She is the CEO of LF.

As for myself, I don't know if I'll go see it in theaters, given that my budget's been a bit strained from the pandemic. I think I may just go to VOD or streaming. It's a longer wait, but more worth it, IMO. I really hate going out and getting involved in all the rat races, especially since it seems like I'm not going to be able to hit the beaches again this year, sigh...