'Writer Jennifer Rosner predicts COVID-19 lockdowns will force easy-breezy millennials to grow up.'

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Re: 'Writer Jennifer Rosner predicts COVID-19 lockdowns will force easy-breezy millennials to grow up.'

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Generational discourse is no substitution for proper class analysis, BUT it takes a special kind of cruelty to dismissively whine about the struggles of a generation getting fist-fucked by multiple recessions, student debt, normalized regular school shootings, etc. as if they were spoiled children and not adults who can no longer even hope for the standard of living that their parents took for granted.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Deledrius
Captain

Re: 'Writer Jennifer Rosner predicts COVID-19 lockdowns will force easy-breezy millennials to grow up.'

Post by Deledrius »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:08 am Generational discourse is no substitution for proper class analysis, BUT it takes a special kind of cruelty to dismissively whine about the struggles of a generation getting fist-fucked by multiple recessions, student debt, normalized regular school shootings, etc. as if they were spoiled children and not adults who can no longer even hope for the standard of living that their parents took for granted.
Yeah, I don't get it. Most of the generational stuff is bunk and journalism shorthand "branding", but the aspect being talked about here is real, and requires some deep ignorance or abject malice to ignore how people in my age cohort are stuck.

Meanwhile, if anyone is interested in an academic look at some of the objective ways that Boomers have, by sheer numbers, affected society, this video is worth a watch:

youtu.be/ZuXzvjBYW8A

Pretty fascinating (and relatively even-handed) IMO.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Really getting tired of the millennial blame. The youngest are in their mid 20's and the oldest are now pushing forty. Beginning of middle age now.

Hell I am technically a millennial but I have heard my little segment of the generation to be called Xetenials.

There is a Gen Z out there that is in college and still in high school. Those are the Tide Pod eaters. Hell we are at Gen A now, maybe even Gen B.
I got nothing to say here.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

McAvoy wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:23 am Hell I am technically a millennial but I have heard my little segment of the generation to be called Xetenials.
I prefer The Oregon Trail Generation. At least it's specifically descriptive about our experience instead of being a reference to a label for another generation, or a misnomer.
Captain Crimson
Captain

Post by Captain Crimson »

I could sympathize rejecting generational warfare, and yet at the same time, I've always felt there's more short-sightedness from my gen, as I don't think we could go through what they did back then nowadays. Let's not forget, they fought in actual wars. How many of us have nowadays? The internet gives one the ability to put in the false aura of bravado, without having anything to back it up. I'll at least give the edge over the street protesters, who at least attempt to walk the talk, whether you agree with them or not.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Captain Crimson wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:08 pm I could sympathize rejecting generational warfare, and yet at the same time, I've always felt there's more short-sightedness from my gen, as I don't think we could go through what they did back then nowadays. Let's not forget, they fought in actual wars. How many of us have nowadays? The internet gives one the ability to put in the false aura of bravado, without having anything to back it up. I'll at least give the edge over the street protesters, who at least attempt to walk the talk, whether you agree with them or not.
Fought actual wars? Gen Y or Millennials were the ones that fought in Afghanistan and Iraq after 9-11. I was 17, a senior in high school when 9-11 happened. Like I said before, I am on the older end of the Millennial generation.

Gen X fought in the first Gulf War. Boomers fought Vietnam. Gen Z is the only one that hasn't fought in anything... Yet.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

McAvoy wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:11 am
Captain Crimson wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:08 pm I could sympathize rejecting generational warfare, and yet at the same time, I've always felt there's more short-sightedness from my gen, as I don't think we could go through what they did back then nowadays. Let's not forget, they fought in actual wars. How many of us have nowadays? The internet gives one the ability to put in the false aura of bravado, without having anything to back it up. I'll at least give the edge over the street protesters, who at least attempt to walk the talk, whether you agree with them or not.
Fought actual wars? Gen Y or Millennials were the ones that fought in Afghanistan and Iraq after 9-11. I was 17, a senior in high school when 9-11 happened. Like I said before, I am on the older end of the Millennial generation.

Gen X fought in the first Gulf War. Boomers fought Vietnam. Gen Z is the only one that hasn't fought in anything... Yet.
Well to be fair, the impact of Vietnam is less comparable to Gulf Wars 1-3 given the draft was gone after Vietnam. And there's always the lucky few between wars as well.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

TGLS wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:21 am
McAvoy wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:11 am

Well to be fair, the impact of Vietnam is less comparable to Gulf Wars 1-3 given the draft was gone after Vietnam. And there's always the lucky few between wars as well.
Oh I agree. Vietnam was a different type of war compared to the later ones. Social impact and all.

All of the wars fought after that war learned from that one. In the end, it also shows how difficult it is to fight a modern war in today's world. Gone is the days of fighting wars like WW2 and before where the country as a whole either wins, surrenders or loses forcing a complete surrender.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Pull the other one, it's got bells on.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville