Babylon 5: April Marathon

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Jonathan101
Captain

Re: Babylon 5: April Marathon

Post by Jonathan101 »

I wonder if Kosh was lying in his dying words about the Vorlons not helping out of fear of being destroyed by the Shadows, or if Kosh honestly believes (or has deluded himself into believing) that this is how the situation is.

It's easy to think of the Vorlons and the Shadows as monolithic entities, but we don't really know how their societies and cultures work and if the leadership is keepings things from the regular folk. Maybe their are factions within both races that honestly don't see the big picture and would kill each other if they had the chance.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

That's a good point. Kosh 2.0 certainly proved that there's a lot of variance in attitudes amongst vorlons.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Scififan
Officer

Post by Scififan »

I think the first Kosh was kind of an exception among his kind.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Scififan wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:28 pm I think the first Kosh was kind of an exception among his kind.
That seemed to be the impression we were meant to have, I think. Like everyone else on the station, he was there because he was somewhat of a misfit who didn't exactly follow the majority opinion where he came from.
Percysowner
Redshirt

Post by Percysowner »

Deledrius wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:19 am
Scififan wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:28 pm I think the first Kosh was kind of an exception among his kind.
That seemed to be the impression we were meant to have, I think. Like everyone else on the station, he was there because he was somewhat of a misfit who didn't exactly follow the majority opinion where he came from.
I know we are supposed to believe this. OTOH, the Vorlons know the big, possibly final war is coming. The prophecies say that humans are incredibly important in the battle. I'm not sure the ruling class would go "Hey, lets send the weird, hippy dude to bring in this incredibly important race and deal with all the other races in B5!" You would think they would send what they considered to be their best and their brightest.

I guess maybe they believed Earth had already been put under the sway of The Shadows and a lost cause, so they might as well send the oddball to B5.
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

Chuck, thank you very much for that first stinger. I shall never tire if hearing Vir tell Mr. Morden he should die.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

Nealithi wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:11 am Chuck, thank you very much for that first stinger. I shall never tire if hearing Vir tell Mr. Morden he should die.
Vir's an interesting character, one who genuinely illustrates what being brave is I think. He's not the not-scared-of-anything "brave" hero. What's so brave about facing things that don't scare you? He's scared but that won't stop him doing what he believes is right. If you can scare the crap out of someone and they'll still stand up to you - that's bravery.
Scififan
Officer

Post by Scififan »

Courage isn't the absence of fear, but overcoming it.
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

And you two's posts are why I want a like button.
I agree with you both.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Riedquat wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:46 pm
Nealithi wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:11 am Chuck, thank you very much for that first stinger. I shall never tire if hearing Vir tell Mr. Morden he should die.
Vir's an interesting character, one who genuinely illustrates what being brave is I think. He's not the not-scared-of-anything "brave" hero. What's so brave about facing things that don't scare you? He's scared but that won't stop him doing what he believes is right. If you can scare the crap out of someone and they'll still stand up to you - that's bravery.
Vir is great. That exchange between him and Mordon and then the conclusion of where Vir finally sees Mordon dead is awesome. He does have a nice character arc.

My thoughts on Kosh 1.0 is that he was the Vorlon the Vorlons sent to deal directly with the younger races. So he might have developed feelings for the younger races more so than than the Vorlons who secluded themselves. So Kosh 1.0 is more accepting of the younger races, the others are not. Which is where we get Kosh 2.0 being an asshole.
I got nothing to say here.