'Writer Jennifer Rosner predicts COVID-19 lockdowns will force easy-breezy millennials to grow up.'

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Nealithi
Captain

Re: 'Writer Jennifer Rosner predicts COVID-19 lockdowns will force easy-breezy millennials to grow up.'

Post by Nealithi »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:18 am
McAvoy wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:51 am All this talk about Boomers and Millenials and people forget there is a generation between them. Gen X.
In any generational discourse about Millenials and Boomers, Gen X will weigh in simply to remind us that Gen X exists.
I saw one of the rules to be Gen X was served during the first Gulf War? So I guess I am Gen X.

So this is what I told the kid (17) that works near me. Mark Twain once said "When I was twenty my father was dumber than a post. When I was thirty I was amazed at how much he had learned." You have spent your whole life being told what to do. You are about to go out into the world and make your own decisions. And most anything I tell you will be ignored till you learn the lessons everyone before you has made. This I will recommend. When you get your first place. Apartment or house. Have your utility bill on a monthly plan so it is the same every month. Sure some months you might use less. But I promise you will turn on your AC in the summer, and run heat in the winter. Monthly bill is easier to plan for.

I have told that to a few people moving out of their parents' home for the first time.

I guess that is the wisdom I can pass on that will be heard.
As to my parents generation and the generation after mine? My father is a Boomer I suppose and he blames computers for ruining everything. And to an extent he is not entirely wrong. "Yes dad the computer in a car can foul up. But when was the last time you got a tune up? Or worried the car would not start on a cold day? Yes the digital signal on TV can glitch and pixelate. But you never see ghosting or rolling anymore. Everything has a cost."
To the younger generation, do we have to change things for the sake of changing them? I get improving function. I get fixing what is broken. What was the point of moving where certain buttons are in paint? Or changing the name programs to apps?

And I guess that is my Gen X insert to say I am here. . .
Captain Crimson
Captain

Re: 'Writer Jennifer Rosner predicts COVID-19 lockdowns will force easy-breezy millennials to grow up.'

Post by Captain Crimson »

Draco Dracul wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:40 pm Sure the boomers pulled up the latter behind them, voted for people that slashed social services to the bone, and had leadership that lead us into 2 massive recession in just over a decade, but the millennials noticed those things and got angry about being fucked over.
Always the Boomers' fault, right? I could point to the instances of Millennial ills and be as justified, because both are true. And let's not kid ourselves that lots of young people vote republican and have for a long time, or for those crooked politicians who commit such sins, whether DNC or GOP.
Draco Dracul wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:47 pm How Old are you? Because the idea that these are ideas that can never catch on is ridiculous to me because I'm old enough to remember when there was serious consideration of a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage. People want mainstream appeal because it means the number of people trying to murder us or legislate us out of existence.
I myself am a Zoomer (perhaps on the cusp of, but that's another story) that's quite tired of seeing a lot of my generational kinfolk just get so vile to preceding generations. I get the argument, for example, that we have too many older leaders in this country. I mean, at that stage of life, you need to be settled down, not at the highest levels of power. I don't think that's ageist. However, I do think too many among my generation like to take the imagined moral high ground we don't really have.

Because the ultra-PC type crowd has always been a niche. Look back to TOS in the 1960s. That was for a very niche crowd, make no mistake. And it's fine to appeal to niche crowds. Most people I've met who I'd consider the silent majority don't really care about who's involved in what relationship, yet I've also seen literal fanfiction write better gay ships than the corporate entertainment industry. Mainstream appeal also requires rejecting corporate "art" because there is no such thing. It's just they have such a stranglehold on all their IPs because they possess the greatest resources for widespread dissemination, which again, is antithetical to the goals of trying to cater to a niche market but also hit mainstream appeal.

It's fine to be a niche. We all have our own subcultures. And for activism purposes in the larger world, people wanna go for it, knock themselves out, just don't interfere with the quality of my stories, please.
sayla0079
Captain

Post by sayla0079 »

Oh really because I still live at home due to unemployment I can't "grow up"? What do you call it when you have to help with the house when a kid/teenager because your mother is working her ass off and still be dead broke and worrying about being evicted from your apartment among other things?
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

sayla0079 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:59 pm Oh really because I still live at home due to unemployment I can't "grow up"? What do you call it when you have to help with the house when a kid/teenager because your mother is working her ass off and still be dead broke and worrying about being evicted from your apartment among other things?
There was a time when children did live with their parents to help with the bills. They would only move out when they get married, if they could. Though during that time the children were literally doing child labor.
I got nothing to say here.
sayla0079
Captain

Post by sayla0079 »

I apologize if what I said sounds wrong but I am sick of everyone thinking that all Millenials are lazy freeloaders that don't want to work or whatever.
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

sayla0079 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:59 pm Oh really because I still live at home due to unemployment I can't "grow up"? What do you call it when you have to help with the house when a kid/teenager because your mother is working her ass off and still be dead broke and worrying about being evicted from your apartment among other things?
Pardon me a moment. But the living with your parents thing upsets me. And I do not think it is Millenials Zoomers or what ever label specific. I was sneered at for moving back with my parents. My parents were struggling. I was working full time and had my own apartment. But rent increases every year and my pay did not. By moving home my father got to eat spaghetti with some meat and sauce on it more than every few months and I suddenly had some money for things other than rent and groceries. (Pretty tapped out after that)

So my question/statement on this one is this. Real men do not care what real men eat, wear, or drive. Real men do what they need to and if someone else disapproves then the shame is on them.

Thank you for permitting me this rant.
sayla0079
Captain

Post by sayla0079 »

Nealithi wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:10 pm
Pardon me a moment. But the living with your parents thing upsets me. And I do not think it is Millenials Zoomers or what ever label specific. I was sneered at for moving back with my parents. My parents were struggling. I was working full time and had my own apartment. But rent increases every year and my pay did not. By moving home my father got to eat spaghetti with some meat and sauce on it more than every few months and I suddenly had some money for things other than rent and groceries. (Pretty tapped out after that)

So my question/statement on this one is this. Real men do not care what real men eat, wear, or drive. Real men do what they need to and if someone else disapproves then the shame is on them.

Thank you for permitting me this rant.
Same here i'm sick of people thinking that because people have to move back in with their parents/never leave that they are losers or lazy freeloaders.
Captain Crimson
Captain

I still live with my family as a lifestyle choice. My mother is very elderly, and combined incomes isn't enough for us sometimes. Also, I have a bunch of siblings to look after.

Honestly, kinda feels more like an Oriental consciousness, in some cases. To honor family. Not being lazy.

I get one basic leg of the argument, though. Boomers had far stabler economic times compared to this generation back in the day. And OFC, we could use greater economic stability.

And it was Boomer politicians (and SilGen politicians) who effed it up, I will agree to that. That said, however, what would really help is challenging monopolization, and I just don't see it happening.

Did it ever occur to anyone, we've never had a Gen X president? Really. Hit me, just now.
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Post by ProfessorDetective »

Captain Crimson wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:19 am Did it ever occur to anyone, we've never had a Gen X president? Really. Hit me, just now.
Which is a signifier of why most folks blame the baby boomers for everything being in shambles: They're the ones running the show. Out of the last five presidents, three were born in 1946 (Clinton, W. Bush, Trump) while Biden was in '42 and Obama in '61. All but Obama were in their late twenties when Watergate happened, early forties when the Berlin Wall fell, and this goes for most of the major players in Congress, too (McConnell's tied with Biden, for example). We're THREE generations on from the Cold War and yet the same old crowd is STILL at the top.

X, Y, and, very soon, Z, want our chance to steer the ship, especially since the current bridge crew seems to be AIMING for the ice bergs.
Captain Crimson
Captain

It is a genuine criticism, for Boomer individuals and not whole generations.