Shin Godzilla review

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Re: Shin Godzilla review

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

I loved this movie. The government stuff is an odd choice, sure, but it made the monster feel so much realer. I also love how repulsive and grotesque they made Godzilla, it really looks like a Thing That Should Not Be.

Honestly though, with all its problems, I WISH I had a government as good as the one in this movie. At the end I was wistfully yearning for a government where a complete fiasco that results in massive loss of life and economic devastation ends in mass-resignations instead of defiant boasting and doubling down on past mistakes. :(
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

I personally liked Shin Godzilla. I have to rewatch it since I have been on a Godzilla kick since the Godzilla versus Kong came out.

I like this one because they really cut out the truly science fiction part of it (I know we are still talking about a giant radioactive lizard thing). They made it feel more real world. Like how would a country deal with a 400 ft monster like Godzilla? There would be a lot of behind the scenes stuff that we saw in this movie.

Of course now it's a one off.
I got nothing to say here.
cdrood
Officer

Post by cdrood »

I haven't seen the movie, but the description in the review actually makes me think a sequel might be a very bad choice. How do you follow it up without killing the message of the first movie? It's probably why each series tends to degenerate to some degree. You can start serious, but how often can you destroy Tokyo before it becomes the joke about the "abandoned warehouse district" on Power Rangers?
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

cdrood wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:53 pm I haven't seen the movie, but the description in the review actually makes me think a sequel might be a very bad choice. How do you follow it up without killing the message of the first movie? It's probably why each series tends to degenerate to some degree. You can start serious, but how often can you destroy Tokyo before it becomes the joke about the "abandoned warehouse district" on Power Rangers?
There was some plans for a sequel go some kind but that axed a while ago.

You are correct. In that adding any additional monsters does gut the meaning of the movie. Perhaps a second Godzilla coming from the first one could be done.

I won't go into details if you haven't watched it, but this Godzilla itself is far different from the others. It has certain characteristics that you could make a second Godzilla.

But adding other monsters? No. Wouldn't work.
I got nothing to say here.