Dragon Age: Inquisition

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
TGLS
Captain

Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition

Post by TGLS »

Similar to how he did companions in the previous RPG reviews, I guess.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Ranadiel wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 4:38 pm
Thebestoftherest wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:31 pm
if that character is so important he goes to the next game he should have been in base.
Dragon Age has...a tendency to include a lot of the super important plot stuff in the DLC. Corypheus being introduced in DLC is not the first and was not the last time that an important plot thread is introduced via DLC.

Off the top of my head, Awakening introduced the Architect who has very major lore relevance once you understand who/what he is. Then Legacy introduced Corypheus. Descent introduced/expanded lore on the Titans, which are likely to be major players or plot points in future stories. Trespasser... explains a lot of stuff and pretty much is the actual finale to DAI/setup for DA4. And I am sure there are more that I am either forgetting or not appreciating the importance of.

Whether it is good or bad, the Dragon Age DLC philosophy is to set up stuff for future stories, even if some of it may end up not really being important when it does come back like the Harverster cameo in DA2.
It's not just the DLC. Big parts of Inquisition assume you read the Asunder and Masked Empire novels and don't bother to explain what the hell is going on beyond a brief summary. The Orlesian Civil War plot especially is nonsensical if you don't know the characters and politics going in.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Beelzquill
Officer

Post by Beelzquill »

Yeah, I really hated Masked Empire because I read it after I played Inquisition and I had to replay that long ass level because I didn't know what actually happened to cause the war. I mean in what world is it even remotely reasonable to expect people to read a third party novel to properly play a damn videogame. It's like Star Trek(2009) and countdown all over again.
Ranadiel
Redshirt

Post by Ranadiel »

mathewgsmith wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 4:18 am
It's not just the DLC. Big parts of Inquisition assume you read the Asunder and Masked Empire novels and don't bother to explain what the hell is going on beyond a brief summary. The Orlesian Civil War plot especially is nonsensical if you don't know the characters and politics going in.
Hmm, I do not personally recall being confused by the Orlesian Civil War plot in Inquisition, and I did not read the novels. But I was also fairly active on the official Dragon Age forums at the time, so I would not be shocked if I picked up the major plot details via osmosis on the forums.

But yeah they do put a lot details in supplementary material. I am sort of expecting Marius, a character from the comics, to either make a cameo or be a full fledged party member in DA4 since he would provide a unique perspective on Tervinter as a trained Magekiller.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

I think it's not so much Asunder and Masked Empire being necessary as the fact that they actually contradict what's on screen.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 5:31 am I think it's not so much Asunder and Masked Empire being necessary as the fact that they actually contradict what's on screen.
It's been years since I read them, would you mind expanding on that?
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Beelzquill
Officer

Post by Beelzquill »

Well it's hard to imagine Briala forgiving Celene for having Briala's parents killed because Celene kept a locket.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Beelzquill wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:23 pm Well it's hard to imagine Briala forgiving Celene for having Briala's parents killed because Celene kept a locket.
Yeah, Briala is the heroine of Dragon Age: Masked Empire while she's just a different variety of scum in Inquisition.
stellar_coyote
Officer

Post by stellar_coyote »

So I've been rewatching Chuck's videos on the Dragon Age series and I've gotten to the last third of Dragon Age 2 and I noticed that part 12 is blocked in the US. Apparently it contains content from Warner Music Group (probably the Land of Confusion bit at the end).

Don't know if this has been addressed on another forum but if not, I thought I'd bring it up.