Anicent Chinese secret

For anything and everything that's not already covered in the other forums. Except for that which is forbidden. Check the forum guidelines to make sure or risk the wrath of the warrior cobalt tarantulas!
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Anicent Chinese secret

Post by Thebestoftherest »

if Star trek does stop swimming in the past and does go to the future of the future, will we reach the point where people refer to Kirk as the ancient Klingon enemy.
Beelzquill
Officer

Re: Anicent Chinese secret

Post by Beelzquill »

When should we consider something "ancient" anyway? A thousand years old? That would mean William the Conqueror's invasion of England would be set to be "officially Ancient" in just 45 years. Do we have a term for something centuries old but not "ancient"?
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

The dictionary says 'belonging to the very distant past and no longer in existence'.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Beelzquill wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:21 pm When should we consider something "ancient" anyway? A thousand years old? That would mean William the Conqueror's invasion of England would be set to be "officially Ancient" in just 45 years. Do we have a term for something centuries old but not "ancient"?
Using Voyager rules, or normal rules?
Beelzquill
Officer

Post by Beelzquill »

Deledrius wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:07 pm
Using Voyager rules, or normal rules?
normal rules. Voyager rules expires a week after they are written
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Beelzquill wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:21 pm When should we consider something "ancient" anyway? A thousand years old? That would mean William the Conqueror's invasion of England would be set to be "officially Ancient" in just 45 years. Do we have a term for something centuries old but not "ancient"?
Historians call the period Post-Classical, or to use a less fashionable term, the Middle Ages. Right now, basically historians divide history in five or six parts:
1) Prehistory (i.e. Everything before writing)
2) Ancient (i.e. Starting from Sumeria and earliest written documents)
3) Post-Classical (i.e. Starting from a date between the fall of West Rome and the Rise of Charlemagne, in Europe)
4) Early Modern (i.e. Starting from a date between the fall of Constantinople and the beginning of the Age of Discovery)
5) Late Modern (i.e. Starting from a date between the Industrial Revolution and the French Revolution)
6) Contemporary (i.e. Starting from a date between WW1 and the end of WW2)

Some merge 5 and 6 together, and where post-classical begins is a bit tricky because it varies a lot more widely because most regions didn't have that period of history seriously impacted by Europeans showing up.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Beelzquill
Officer

Post by Beelzquill »

TGLS wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:34 pm Snip
Thank you for the info. So by those classifications that would make the birth and life of Muhammed, the prophet of Islam, postclassical but not ancient? Huh, for some reason I always though the birth of Islam was one the eras we could call "ancient".
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

I've never really considered the birth of christ to be ancient and was surprised to learn that Islam was born out of Christianity.
..What mirror universe?
Beelzquill
Officer

Post by Beelzquill »

Why would 2000 years ago not be considered ancient? Maybe it means classical because the roman empire was around?
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

TGLS wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:34 pm
Historians call the period Post-Classical, or to use a less fashionable term, the Middle Ages. Right now, basically historians divide history in five or six parts:
1) Prehistory (i.e. Everything before writing)
2) Ancient (i.e. Starting from Sumeria and earliest written documents)
3) Post-Classical (i.e. Starting from a date between the fall of West Rome and the Rise of Charlemagne, in Europe)
4) Early Modern (i.e. Starting from a date between the fall of Constantinople and the beginning of the Age of Discovery)
5) Late Modern (i.e. Starting from a date between the Industrial Revolution and the French Revolution)
6) Contemporary (i.e. Starting from a date between WW1 and the end of WW2)

Some merge 5 and 6 together, and where post-classical begins is a bit tricky because it varies a lot more widely because most regions didn't have that period of history seriously impacted by Europeans showing up.
Is this the proper catalogue? I ask because the section of Post-Classical but not a Classical seems odd. Or did Classical get nixed like Pluto's planethood?