Trump VS. Athletes

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Re: Trump VS. Athletes

Post by Karha of Honor »

The Romulan Republic wrote:I'm not sure what you're referring to? Are you referring to people people believing that the President isn't really that bad because its easier (in which case, I object to the comparison of Obama and Trump as another example of the mindless "both sides are the same" fallacy)?
Mindless, i bet some people would beat you with a jury in an Oxford style debate on that.

To get the reference:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligence_Squared
Antiboyscout
Captain

Post by Antiboyscout »

LittleRaven
Captain

Post by LittleRaven »

The NFL is boned no matter what happens. For a long time, football has been the one thing that both rural and urban America enjoyed. Right or left...didn't matter when it came to the game.

Trump just took a wrecking ball to that, just as he did to the boy scouts. Now football, like everything else, has to be viewed through a partisan lens. And that's going to be disastrous for the NFL, because no matter which side of the divide you come down on, it's a divide, which is exactly what they don't want. So whether they turn into good little patriots or join the self-styled resistance, a good number of people are going to be repulsed.
phantom000
Captain

Post by phantom000 »

My main complaint about Trump in all this is that this is an issue he should stay out of. Whether it is right or wrong is something he does not get to decide, that is between the players and the league and if they want to go to court then it's for the judges to decide, not him.
Antiboyscout
Captain

Post by Antiboyscout »

LittleRaven wrote:
Trump just took a wrecking ball to that
Trump did...

No, the NFL and NFL commentators have been on a long steady road toward the left for a long time now. Trump simply exposed it for what it is, completely partisan.
LittleRaven
Captain

Post by LittleRaven »

Antiboyscout wrote:Trump did...
Our statements are not mutually exclusive.
Antiboyscout
Captain

Post by Antiboyscout »

LittleRaven wrote:
Antiboyscout wrote:Trump did...
Our statements are not mutually exclusive.
Yes they are, you are implying that the NFL maintained bipartisan support until Trump came and ruined that.

I'm saying they already picked a side and were pushing that side more and more now they simply can't pretend they arn't.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

phantom000 wrote:My main complaint about Trump in all this is that this is an issue he should stay out of. Whether it is right or wrong is something he does not get to decide, that is between the players and the league and if they want to go to court then it's for the judges to decide, not him.
The left dexcided to play full court press basketball after being up by 30 in the culture wars with 2 minutes remainning, and started hitting people on top that. The dirty fight was inevitable.
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

It all seems rather petty and pointless to me. I suppose part of me is entertained by the schadenfreude of an organization that worked so hard for so long to draw in the "'Merka!" crowd only to turn around and essentially bite the hand that feeds it, so to speak. Also, the salt, I guess. :lol: The more cynical part of me is wondering what we're being distracted from while the media and politicians are dangling this in front of us. I guess there is that whole tensions with NK thing...
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Admiral X wrote:It all seems rather petty and pointless to me. I suppose part of me is entertained by the schadenfreude of an organization that worked so hard for so long to draw in the "'Merka!" crowd only to turn around and essentially bite the hand that feeds it, so to speak. Also, the salt, I guess. :lol: The more cynical part of me is wondering what we're being distracted from while the media and politicians are dangling this in front of us. I guess there is that whole tensions with NK thing...
I hope there won't be a nuclear war. Republicans and Dems pointing fingers over a NK nuclear strike in a social media age will be the most disgusting thing ever.