SG1: 2001

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Mabus
Captain

SG1: 2001

Post by Mabus »

https://sfdebris.com/videos/stargate/sg1s5e10.php

What I like about this episode is how it shows the basics of how that alternate future happened, while not showing the rest, allowing the viewer's imagination to fill in the rest.

I do find it odd that Daniel wasn't able to translate the word for "sterility" while he was able to translate almost all the rest of the text, you'd think that some mention of "everyone taking the vaccine/medication is no longer capable of conceiving children" in the newspaper text, after all, this is how most translations of unknown languages work (something which Daniel would be well aware of, given that he's a skilled linguist). But then again, it was a newspaper and not a historical text, I'm actually surprised they even included the word "sterility" in the headline, usually they'd just use a clickbait title like "SHOCKING! YOU WILL NEVER GUESS WHAT THE NEW ASCHEN VACCINE DOES!"
TGLS
Captain

Re: SG1: 2001

Post by TGLS »

Mabus wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:59 pm they'd just use a clickbait title like "SHOCKING! YOU WILL NEVER GUESS WHAT THE NEW ASCHEN VACCINE DOES!"
Newspapers seem to be better about that. For example, from the 2001-08-31 (the day the episode aired) front page of the NYT, the headlines were:
-> In 90's Economy, Middle Class Stayed Put, Analysis Suggest
-> Factory Jobs Move Overseas As Japan's Troubles Deepen
-> Milosevic to Face Charges Covering 3 Wars in Balkans
-> 'Controlled' Blaze That Wasn't Haunts Firefighters in California
amongst others.
Just two weeks later, it had a real headline with: "U.S. Attacked - Hijacked Jets Destroy Twin Towers and Hit Pentagon in Day of Terror"
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Mabus
Captain

Post by Mabus »

TGLS wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:15 pm
Mabus wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:59 pm they'd just use a clickbait title like "SHOCKING! YOU WILL NEVER GUESS WHAT THE NEW ASCHEN VACCINE DOES!"
Newspapers seem to be better about that. For example, from the 2001-08-31 (the day the episode aired) front page of the NYT, the headlines were:
-> In 90's Economy, Middle Class Stayed Put, Analysis Suggest
-> Factory Jobs Move Overseas As Japan's Troubles Deepen
-> Milosevic to Face Charges Covering 3 Wars in Balkans
-> 'Controlled' Blaze That Wasn't Haunts Firefighters in California
amongst others.
Just two weeks later, it had a real headline with: "U.S. Attacked - Hijacked Jets Destroy Twin Towers and Hit Pentagon in Day of Terror"
Well, given that Daniel was unable to determine what that mystery word meant from the newspaper text, nor reasonably make a guess from the said translated article, it seems that the Volian newspaper was leaning towards yellow journalism rather than being a respected publication. Basically the newspaper just mentioned "sterility" a few times, and then the rest of the text probably just trash talks the Aschen rather than give a full description of what actually happened.
Most quality newspapers will tend to give more balanced details about the event they talk about, even if they're shortened, like a sort of synthesis, whereas alarmist publications focus more on the emotional impact, to draw more readers.
Coyote's Own
Redshirt

Post by Coyote's Own »

There not much modern medicine derived from the celts but I'd assumed Scottich and Irish Galic, as well as Welsh, do have medical terminology and for what I know at least about Welsh those are unlikely to be loan words.

Celtic language are alive even if possibly the well (not as many people are using them as used to).

Edit: In short daniel seems to be unable to translate a word that probably in relatively common usage today by several related languages. :)
Fianna
Captain

Post by Fianna »

Do not attempt to understand how language works in Stargate. That way lies madness.
Marveryn
Officer

Post by Marveryn »

Fianna wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:01 am Do not attempt to understand how language works in Stargate. That way lies madness.
are we speaking how in stargate started with everyone speaking ancient egyption but during the show run most spoke english a language not invented slightly before shakespeare and is a combination of german/french/spanish/ancient galic and a bunch of others that is impossible that would be recreated in some off shot of humanity.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

Fianna wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:01 am Do not attempt to understand how language works in Stargate. That way lies madness.
One of the things the DHD does is unlock a universal translator effect, apparently it was one of the very many things Carter et all had to override in order to make the gate work without the DHD. And then it got incorporated once they started gating out regularly and Carter worked out how to turn it on. Although that is more an after the fact retcon given in background material because it was getting too tedious having Daniel do his bunny-wee thing every episode, and getting in the way of the story, and the closest thing we have it in the series is a very brief offhand mention of a translator effect not being in operation in the episode they introduce the Ori where Daniel and Vala did a bodyswap with some locals in the Ori galaxy [and missed a comedy opportunity in not having Daniel end up in the female local and Vala in the male, because put upon Daniel is the funniest Daniel].
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

CrypticMirror wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:12 pm
One of the things the DHD does is unlock a universal translator effect, apparently it was one of the very many things Carter et all had to override in order to make the gate work without the DHD. And then it got incorporated once they started gating out regularly and Carter worked out how to turn it on. Although that is more an after the fact retcon given in background material because it was getting too tedious having Daniel do his bunny-wee thing every episode, and getting in the way of the story, and the closest thing we have it in the series is a very brief offhand mention of a translator effect not being in operation in the episode they introduce the Ori where Daniel and Vala did a bodyswap with some locals in the Ori galaxy [and missed a comedy opportunity in not having Daniel end up in the female local and Vala in the male, because put upon Daniel is the funniest Daniel].
As Chuck said when it came to Star Trek 2009, you don't get extra credit for stuff that you didn't put into the show. They had ten seasons of SG-1, five seasons of Atlantis, and two seasons of Universe to establish the DHD has a UT. Its a good retcon, i'll give them that, it even makes sense. But i'm taking a thousand points off for laziness.

Regarding the bodyswap, as I was saying in the Stargate Universe thread, I think the body swapping stones identify mental gender. Again, its never established, but otherwise it makes no sense that it always put the men into the men and the women into the women. It only worked with Vala and Daniel due to there being no other option. Kind of amusing really because the show made this big deal out of it having the franchise's first lesbian relationship but never did anything with the trans concept. Speaks to 2009 imo.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

BTW, the whole ''language'' barrier shouldn't even be a factor here. Carter's excuse of keeping the message short to avoid polluting the timeline is woolly at best, existing only to drive this plot. That note should have said this: ''Don't go to P4X??? under any circumstances, Aschen more dangerous than the Goa'uld, vaccine causes sterility.''
Boom, done. Every possible scenario covered.

An Idiot Plot at its finest, folks.
Fianna
Captain

Post by Fianna »

So if SG-1 had used the Stargate to return to Earth, but had ended up coming out of the Russian Stargate instead of the American one, would they all be able to speak Russian?