Star Trek: Discovery - spoilery thoughts?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Fixer
Doctor's Assistant

Re: Star Trek: Discovery - thoughts?

Post by Fixer »

The last scene of episode 5 left me with an Event Horizon / Warhammer 40,000 vibe. That's... not good.

Don't get me wrong I love 40K and all it's far future Gothic Grim-Darkness but 40K is as close to being the Anti-Star Trek as any franchise could possibly be.

Whole thing actually had me feeling depressed after watching the last episode. I'm going to give the rest of the season a miss.
Thread ends here. Cut along dotted line.
------8<--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
lirp
Redshirt

Post by lirp »

Agent Vinod wrote:They are more like ME Islamists but i am only at episode 4.
I suspect that initially they were intended to be religiously motivated and the nationalism aspect was added in much later. I don't think it works very well. A nationalistic motivation needs a lot more context than they've given, particularly given the muddiness of the timelines.
GandALF
Officer

Post by GandALF »

lirp wrote:
I suspect that initially they were intended to be religiously motivated and the nationalism aspect was added in much later. I don't think it works very well. A nationalistic motivation needs a lot more context than they've given, particularly given the muddiness of the timelines.
Well their messiah is also the founder of their empire, so their nationalism and religion are going to be closely tied together.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

lirp wrote:
This whole technophobia reminds me of an Indian Rebellion that broke out over the use of lard for the guns of the colonial troops.
GandALF
Officer

Post by GandALF »

Agent Vinod wrote: This whole technophobia reminds me of an Indian Rebellion that broke out over the use of lard for the guns of the colonial troops.
Technophobia? They want to maintain their independence from what they perceive as an expansionist federation, that isn't particularly technophobic. Do you mean the spore drive drama?
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

GandALF wrote:
Agent Vinod wrote: This whole technophobia reminds me of an Indian Rebellion that broke out over the use of lard for the guns of the colonial troops.
Technophobia? They want to maintain their independence from what they perceive as an expansionist federation, that isn't particularly technophobic. Do you mean the spore drive drama?
They did not want to use the Federation power crystal which they stole at the end of episode 4 anyways.
GandALF
Officer

Post by GandALF »

Agent Vinod wrote: They did not want to use the Federation power crystal which they stole at the end of episode 4 anyways.
Seemed more like stubborn pride to me. They didn't want to admit that glorious and honourable Klingon engineering had failed.
Dînadan
Officer

Post by Dînadan »

GandALF wrote:
Agent Vinod wrote: They did not want to use the Federation power crystal which they stole at the end of episode 4 anyways.
Seemed more like stubborn pride to me. The didn't want to admit that glorious and honourable Klingon engineering had failed.
Agreed, if it had been Klingon tech they'd have used it without a second thought; it was entirely down to it being 'impure' Federation tech, not because it was technobabble X. It'd be like the US Army refusing to use missiles designed and built in Japan and insisting on US designed/built ones only regardless of which were superior/worked better/etc; it would be a descision made purely out of national pride, not technophobia even if the foreign ones were higher tech.
Fixer
Doctor's Assistant

Post by Fixer »

Again, avoiding the use of alien technology is another idea from 40K. Essentially the Imperium's policy on Xeno tech.
To the Imperium it is mankind's divine right to rule the stars and alien races are heretical, devious beings who seek only undermine and subvert humanity's purity and purpose.

Not exactly untrue given the setting but you have situations where an Imperial Guardsman may take a piece of alien weaponry, use it to save hundred of lives, then he'll be executed in front of his comrades for the heresy of using unclean xeno tech.

The psuedo klingons of Discovery follow that same religious philosophy that anything not of Klingon make or design is impure and that its use taints anything it touches.
Thread ends here. Cut along dotted line.
------8<--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Fixer wrote:Again, avoiding the use of alien technology is another idea from 40K. Essentially the Imperium's policy on Xeno tech.
To the Imperium it is mankind's divine right to rule the stars and alien races are heretical, devious beings who seek only undermine and subvert humanity's purity and purpose.

Not exactly untrue given the setting but you have situations where an Imperial Guardsman may take a piece of alien weaponry, use it to save hundred of lives, then he'll be executed in front of his comrades for the heresy of using unclean xeno tech.
Within the 40k universe, I'd argue that enforced xenotechnophobia is actually a wise policy. Remember, it's a world where demons posess machines, a world where you can contract Nurgle's root by accidentally cutting yourself on really anything and you never know whether that wierd Eldar trinket only creates a fancy light-show when you push the red button labelled "¡ɥsnd ʇ,uop" or tears a rift into spacetime, creating a portal to the Warp and summoning Demonettes and Slaneesh him-/her-/itself to your party.
Last edited by Madner Kami on Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox