Cashier shot for telling man to wear mask

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
clearspira
Overlord

Re: Cashier shot for telling man to wear mask

Post by clearspira »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:17 pm We have one party who's entire political ideology is "Owning the libs" and "retain power at any cost". They decided that because their leader ignored the problem, any attempt to deal with it is a Liberal thing, therefor a threat to their political identity.

Also we have a shitload of people who have never been told "No" in their adult lives and it shows.

Also some people have decided that their gun is a remote control for life.

Or, I dunno. It's too early to drink.
I would more say that we have a generation of kids now brought up by parents who think that spanking is wrong.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

clearspira wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:13 pm I would more say that we have a generation of kids now brought up by parents who think that spanking is wrong.
Thank heavens for that. At least there's one thing that won't be wrong with them, eh? Plenty of other problems still, I'm sure, but normalized physical abuse masquerading as discipline won't be one.
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

clearspira wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:13 pm
I would more say that we have a generation of kids now brought up by parents who think that spanking is wrong.
As someone brought up by parents that thought and still think spanking is wrong. This is the wrong preconception. I was taught to respect other people's property. To obey rules, how to be polite and not make a fuss over every little thing. And by God did they teach me not to kill for petty BS. It isn't spanking. It is being a Parent.

That said, do we want to put this chucklefuck's actions at the feet of his parents? Or is he personally someone similar to things we wipe off our shoes with disgust? Until there is some credible news report about a long life of abuse or something. I am going to go with option 2.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

I doubt anti-spanking as a parental politicking really compares to right-wing consumer narcissism.
..What mirror universe?
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

You believe that refusing to wear a mask is due to not being beaten as a child?
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

I think one of the reasons why society has degraded so much in recent years is because of keyboard warriors (i'm not putting myself on a pedestal here either) who can say what they like about anyone they like thanks to the ultimate safety granted them by their monitors. The absolute worst that can happen to them is a Twitter ban. If you walked up to an actual gay person, or veteran, or politician, or woman who had just had an abortion etc. and say the sort of filth you see in the average comment section to their face then you would get a punch to the balls or worse.

Its the fear of violence that keeps most of us in check whether we like to admit it or not. Did you know that the men loading the lifeboats on the Titanic were armed and regularly had to fire off warning shots? This is because despite the legend of all of these chivalrous men giving their lifeboat places to the women and children, in reality, a large percentage of them thought that was a crock of shit and tried to force their way through.

Fear of your dad's hand. Fear of the prison shower. Fear of getting fired. Fear of nuclear weapons. Fear of Hell. We live in a world run by fear. And the moment that stops we get spoilt little clowns who think that a mask is the equivalent of a yellow star.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:54 pm
Oh FFS, spare us from the people who equate child beating with spanking. That's the big problem of this age, people who stick with ludicrous over-simplified extremely black and white viewpoints and shape their opinions of everything around them.

No response to bad behaviour is better than excessive response but both are stupid, along with the people who stick to either.

Children aren't adults and respond instinctively (adults do too if they've been brough up like unchecked children). Over-protect a child and they'll keep tripping up and hurting themselves as an adult, since they've never learned instinctively to avoid it. Ditto with behaviour. Whilst clobber them for everything and that's all they'll take on board. Reality lies somewhere in between (and not midway either), but that's beyond the single digit IQ simplified thinking that permeates the world today.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Riedquat wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:07 pmOh FFS, spare us from the people who equate child beating with spanking.
Allow me to pause you here.

The fucking point is it's an INSANE nonsequitor to begin with.

Let's not turn it into:

"I think global warming is caused by pasta.

You think spaghtti caused global warming!

Do not insult spaghetti!"
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

clearspira wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:57 pm I think one of the reasons why society has degraded so much in recent years is because of keyboard warriors (i'm not putting myself on a pedestal here either) who can say what they like about anyone they like thanks to the ultimate safety granted them by their monitors. The absolute worst that can happen to them is a Twitter ban. If you walked up to an actual gay person, or veteran, or politician, or woman who had just had an abortion etc. and say the sort of filth you see in the average comment section to their face then you would get a punch to the balls or worse.
Since the news started picking up on anything viral it then became a marketing condition. A condition inclusive of social transparency that didn't exist before. I read an international economic book that talked about the conditions in one developed country and how such conditions were arguably disagreeable.
..What mirror universe?
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Riedquat wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:07 pm
CharlesPhipps wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:54 pm
Oh FFS, spare us from the people who equate child beating with spanking. That's the big problem of this age, people who stick with ludicrous over-simplified extremely black and white viewpoints and shape their opinions of everything around them.

No response to bad behaviour is better than excessive response but both are stupid, along with the people who stick to either.

Children aren't adults and respond instinctively (adults do too if they've been brough up like unchecked children). Over-protect a child and they'll keep tripping up and hurting themselves as an adult, since they've never learned instinctively to avoid it. Ditto with behaviour. Whilst clobber them for everything and that's all they'll take on board. Reality lies somewhere in between (and not midway either), but that's beyond the single digit IQ simplified thinking that permeates the world today.
What you're getting at is basically the same gray area as drinking and driving.
..What mirror universe?