SG1: 2001

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Sir Will
Officer

Re: SG1: 2001

Post by Sir Will »

clearspira wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:01 pm BTW, the whole ''language'' barrier shouldn't even be a factor here. Carter's excuse of keeping the message short to avoid polluting the timeline is woolly at best, existing only to drive this plot. That note should have said this: ''Don't go to P4X??? under any circumstances, Aschen more dangerous than the Goa'uld, vaccine causes sterility.''
Boom, done. Every possible scenario covered.

An Idiot Plot at its finest, folks.
Yes, the note should have been more explicit. I still liked the episodes.
Swiftbow
Officer

Post by Swiftbow »

clearspira wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:01 pm BTW, the whole ''language'' barrier shouldn't even be a factor here. Carter's excuse of keeping the message short to avoid polluting the timeline is woolly at best, existing only to drive this plot. That note should have said this: ''Don't go to P4X??? under any circumstances, Aschen more dangerous than the Goa'uld, vaccine causes sterility.''
Boom, done. Every possible scenario covered.

An Idiot Plot at its finest, folks.
I dunno, I think it speaks to one of Carter's flaws: She tends to overthink things. O'Neill specifically questioned her logic for making the note cryptic. And he was right, but he deferred to the scientist. She's made mistakes like that before... it's partly why she's a good character.

She was also making assumptions about how time travel worked that later proved to be wrong. You can't paradox the universe out of existence in Stargate SG-1. And they're not sending the note far back enough to erase themselves. You can see the evolution of her thinking regarding time travel over the course of the show... by the time of Season 8 and Moebius, it's almost laughable how cavalier she is about it. But they get a ZPM and O'Neill even somehow gets some fish into his pond, though, so it works out.

And hey, anytime your character can accidentally write a plot for another episode, that's just gold for writers.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

I think the message was fine. Not for the reason that Carter gave, but because it contained no wiggle room or loophole potential. As soon as you start adding reasons for saying no, people, and they cannot help themselves because it is just what humans do, start adding "but what if" scenarios to them to try and find a way to get around it. You just gotta say don't do this, and not give people the chance to try and get around it.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

CrypticMirror wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:38 am I think the message was fine. Not for the reason that Carter gave, but because it contained no wiggle room or loophole potential. As soon as you start adding reasons for saying no, people, and they cannot help themselves because it is just what humans do, start adding "but what if" scenarios to them to try and find a way to get around it. You just gotta say don't do this, and not give people the chance to try and get around it.
That's an excellent point. The message was vague enough and contained so little information that they reacted more cautiously than they might otherwise have done with more detail. They had no confidence.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Forgetting there was blood on the note, forgot whose it was but I am willing to bet that would have raised alot of concerns.
I got nothing to say here.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

McAvoy wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:12 am Forgetting there was blood on the note, forgot whose it was but I am willing to bet that would have raised alot of concerns.
It's those little extra touches which make the message go that extra mile.
excalibur
Officer

Post by excalibur »

And like many other races, the Ashen are just forgotten, not vanquished. They know Earth's address but nothing every comes from it.
"Adapt, Overcome & Improvise"

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

excalibur wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:04 am And like many other races, the Ashen are just forgotten, not vanquished. They know Earth's address but nothing every comes from it.
Presumably they connected with the black hole address and that was that. Perhaps they did survive but destroyed their gate in the process.

I think they don't have FTL capabilities but I might be wrong.

There is a few fan fictions I have read that made them the big baddie for SG-1 post season 10. They survived and plotted their revenge.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

McAvoy wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:46 am
excalibur wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:04 am And like many other races, the Ashen are just forgotten, not vanquished. They know Earth's address but nothing every comes from it.
Presumably they connected with the black hole address and that was that. Perhaps they did survive but destroyed their gate in the process.
Yeah, I mean given the luck, miracle, and experience screwing things up for the better that SG1 had, which was needed for Earth to survive, connecting to a black hole sounds pretty vanquished to me. Especially if that was the least dangerous one, as O'Neill implies, and they maybe skipped the first couple in case they were traps; which sounds like something the Aschen would do, being too clever by half.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

CrypticMirror wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:17 pm
McAvoy wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:46 am
Yeah, I mean given the luck, miracle, and experience screwing things up for the better that SG1 had, which was needed for Earth to survive, connecting to a black hole sounds pretty vanquished to me. Especially if that was the least dangerous one, as O'Neill implies, and they maybe skipped the first couple in case they were traps; which sounds like something the Aschen would do, being too clever by half.
Like I said they could have survived but probably destroyed their Stargate in the process. Or they couldn't and now the Ashen are gone.