Has anyone watched Black Widow?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
clearspira
Overlord

Has anyone watched Black Widow?

Post by clearspira »

Worth a watch or not?

Must admit I was a bit dubious about watching a prequel about someone already dead, seems like a film that should have been Phase 1 or 2.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Re: Has anyone watched Black Widow?

Post by CharlesPhipps »

I really enjoyed it.

But I was really happy about the use of a certain Russian Bond girl.

Mind you, I love Black Widow and felt that her Endgame handling was bullshit.
CmdrKing
Captain

Post by CmdrKing »

It's... alright. In terms of being spy-side MCU it's very adequate, and while the new characters they bring in are frustrating in some ways I think enough of the intent came through to work.

I will admit that the only time the movie really, REALLY clicked was the first half of the post-credits but... y'know I guess I've been waiting a couple years for that scene to exist. It had an unfair advantage.
MaxWylde
Officer

Post by MaxWylde »

Disney gets none of my money.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

MaxWylde wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:14 pm Disney gets none of my money.
Oh you sweet summer child...

"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Madner Kami wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:45 pm
MaxWylde wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:14 pm Disney gets none of my money.
Oh you sweet summer child...

Aye. Same for the likes of PepsiCo, Coca Cola, McDonalds, Apple, Microsoft and Amazon. It amuses me that people think that there is some clandestine secret government that rules the world when it fact they are not only in plain sight but were willingly put there by the people.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

I watched it. The movie quality kinda reminds me of the older Marvel movies like Thor or Iron Man 2/3. Decent.

The Russian accents were pretty bad though.

And they did ruin Taskmaster. I know this version is female, but that is much less of an issue. This version might have been just a robot that looks like Taskmaster.
I got nothing to say here.
phantom000
Captain

Post by phantom000 »

I saw it, and my opinion is 'meh.'

Scarlett Johansson is always great as The Black Widow and the character was well used for this film, but it seems like everything else doesn't quite work. Aside from the title character everything ranges from passable to disappointing. Important scenes don't connect because its hard to understand what the characters are supposed to be going through. I feel like this movie is star trek 3 for the MCU, an okay movie that only seems bad when compared to the rest of the franchise.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

I saw it and thought it was great. The only distraction I had was that the villain's Endgame wasn't dissimilar from Black Panther, but I forgot about it in the grand scheme of things. His plot was revealed very suddenly and all but the circumstance's gravity didn't hinge on the world domination plans too much. In a way I guess you could say the movie subverts that superhero movie trope in vogue, which is cool. Really they could have given Scarlett more to do. Like they could have given her a hardcore infiltration predator mission to rival Batman or Green Arrow or Batwoman, but they did a good job of balancing her human story with the overall threat in the movie. All flowed really well for me.
..What mirror universe?