The next Dr Who is rumoured to be Olly Alexander

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
goodperson25
Officer

Re: The next Dr Who is rumoured to be Olly Alexander

Post by goodperson25 »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:02 pm Eh I wouldn't say not wanting a character changed is inherently misogynist.

It becomes misogynist when OH MY GOD, IT IS THE END OF THE WORLD.
I think a point that might be being made is that it's not necessarily a change to the character and thus could be more about what the change is.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

I am trying to be generous that at least some fans are just of the mind the Doctor should be a certain way.

But the reaction was generally, "Oh my god, THE FEMINISTS HATE DOCTOR WHO!"

Which is....a bizarre take on wanting a different take with the Doctor. A character inherently malleable.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:53 am I am trying to be generous that at least some fans are just of the mind the Doctor should be a certain way.

Which is....a bizarre take on wanting a different take with the Doctor. A character inherently malleable.
OK, Doctor Who, the character goes through a bunch of bodies over the decades and fans bitch about out of all of that one of them is female?

I am a person who probably watched only two or three episodes, so I have no idea the history of the show.

This sort of thing strikes me as the same reaction when rumor talk starts talking about a female Bond.

Though a general consensus is that Idris Elba is a damn near perfect Bond. Though too old now.
I got nothing to say here.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

McAvoy wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:28 am
OK, Doctor Who, the character goes through a bunch of bodies over the decades and fans bitch about out of all of that one of them is female?

I am a person who probably watched only two or three episodes, so I have no idea the history of the show.

This sort of thing strikes me as the same reaction when rumor talk starts talking about a female Bond.

Though a general consensus is that Idris Elba is a damn near perfect Bond. Though too old now.
The Doctor is an alien who can regenerate 12 times (he can do many more now) and is a time traveler. Each version is a different personality as the process mixes up your brain. Until recently, there was no implication you changed sex but it wasn't beyond the realm of possibility. Still, geeks love things to NEVER CHANGE while demanding change in the same breath. They cling to the comfort of the familiar while insisting the shows they love continue to surprise.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

McAvoy wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:28 am OK, Doctor Who, the character goes through a bunch of bodies over the decades and fans bitch about out of all of that one of them is female?
That's a bit of a fallacy though; we know that fans have complained about nearly all of the regenerations, so it's not necessarily true that this one is the only one for many of those people. Some yes, but by no means most or all in the long history of the show. There's no need to lump all criticism in with the vapid misogyny.

Personally I was not particularly eager to have the Doctor be a young man, but Matt Smith did an amazing job (despite the terrible writing). Meanwhile, I wanted to love Capaldi and had to stop watching the show because it had become so self-loathing. :/
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Deledrius wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:52 am
McAvoy wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:28 am OK, Doctor Who, the character goes through a bunch of bodies over the decades and fans bitch about out of all of that one of them is female?
That's a bit of a fallacy though; we know that fans have complained about nearly all of the regenerations, so it's not necessarily true that this one is the only one for many of those people. Some yes, but by no means most or all in the long history of the show. There's no need to lump all criticism in with the vapid misogyny.

Personally I was not particularly eager to have the Doctor be a young man, but Matt Smith did an amazing job (despite the terrible writing). Meanwhile, I wanted to love Capaldi and had to stop watching the show because it had become so self-loathing. :/
Well the problem is that as a person looking from the outside it looked a lot like some of the fan base was complaining about the Doctor being female. I never saw any of this outlash when the actors were changed before that.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:53 am I am trying to be generous that at least some fans are just of the mind the Doctor should be a certain way.

James Bond is a misogynistic dinosaur and a relic of Cold War as ''M'' put it in ''Goldeneye''. That is his character. That has ALWAYS been his character. He is an assassin who uses and sometimes even abuses women. He was married only once - the rest of the time he is a ''pump and dump'' who literally never sees these women again.

It would be IMPOSSIBLE to have a female James Bond without fundamentally changing her character. True, you could have her be a misandrist, but society views that so completely differently to misogyny its unreal. KillAllMen is a hashtag that frequently trends on Twitter as a joke. Social media would ignite if KillAllWomen were to trend. There is where we are right now.

And BTW, unless you are living under a rock there are tens of thousands of female led shows out there. There is no argument for a sex change beyond politics.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:46 am

The Doctor is an alien who can regenerate 12 times (he can do many more now) and is a time traveler. Each version is a different personality as the process mixes up your brain. Until recently, there was no implication you changed sex but it wasn't beyond the realm of possibility. Still, geeks love things to NEVER CHANGE while demanding change in the same breath. They cling to the comfort of the familiar while insisting the shows they love continue to surprise.
There is a difference between possible and probable. Throughout the classic series, the Doctor never mentioned it, the Master never mentioned it, Susan never mentioned it, Romana never mentioned it, the Rani never mentioned it, nor did any side NPC Time Lord that we ever met.
Only when the BBC decided to force this down our throats from Matt Smith onward did this start to get raised.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

clearspira wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:37 pm There is a difference between possible and probable. Throughout the classic series, the Doctor never mentioned it, the Master never mentioned it, Susan never mentioned it, Romana never mentioned it, the Rani never mentioned it, nor did any side NPC Time Lord that we ever met.
Only when the BBC decided to force this down our throats from Matt Smith onward did this start to get raised.
A reminder that the Doctor never mentioned he could regenerate in his first few years on the screen.

Or that he was an alien.

Much of the Doctor's history was supposed to be MYSTERIOUS.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

clearspira wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:32 pm

James Bond is a misogynistic dinosaur and a relic of Cold War as ''M'' put it in ''Goldeneye''. That is his character. That has ALWAYS been his character. He is an assassin who uses and sometimes even abuses women. He was married only once - the rest of the time he is a ''pump and dump'' who literally never sees these women again.

It would be IMPOSSIBLE to have a female James Bond without fundamentally changing her character. True, you could have her be a misandrist, but society views that so completely differently to misogyny its unreal. KillAllMen is a hashtag that frequently trends on Twitter as a joke. Social media would ignite if KillAllWomen were to trend. There is where we are right now.

And BTW, unless you are living under a rock there are tens of thousands of female led shows out there. There is no argument for a sex change beyond politics.
Having Bond become a woman is certainly political. It would really change the whole Bond character.

Yet, there is still backlash about making him a black man even for a few movies.