The next Dr Who is rumoured to be Olly Alexander

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Riedquat
Captain

Re: The next Dr Who is rumoured to be Olly Alexander

Post by Riedquat »

clearspira wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:22 am
Something else that bothers me about this on reflection: why do Time Lords and Time Ladies have gender? As in, why do they call each other he and she and grandfather etc? Surely a race that has no fixed sex would be beyond such concepts? This is actually one of the things that really dates The Culture novels by Iain M Banks as for a race of creatures who are beyond sex and gender they sure have a contemporary view of pronouns.
Which is one big reason to regard it as a retcon in Dr Who, and a needless one at that.

One of the Culture novels has some comment about it not really being prevalent in their language but the fictional translations into the reader's language uses whatever's common. That said they don't come across as "beyond" it (whatever on earth that means) even if they don't regard it as significant enough to need different pronouns, just something they can change at will (well not quite at will, IIRC the physical change isn't instant).
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Post by ProfessorDetective »

She's gone by 2023. I'll miss her. Hope Big Finish gives her plenty of work.

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status ... 08580?s=19
BBally81
Officer

Post by BBally81 »

I feel bad for Jodie Whittaker, she's a good actress but I feel she wasn't given the strongest material for Doctor Who especially under Chris Chibnall, who I felt was a rubbish showrunner.

A lot of people wrongfully blamed her as if she was responsible from creative choices on the show.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Why wait? Please go now.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

clearspira wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:57 pm Why wait?
So they can bring things to a conclusion instead of having the Doctor breaking a nail, dying, and having all the plot threads from last season vanishing without explanation.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

TGLS wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:17 pm
clearspira wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:57 pm Why wait?
So they can bring things to a conclusion instead of having the Doctor breaking a nail, dying, and having all the plot threads from last season vanishing without explanation.
Chibnell is leaving with her apparently which imo is the best evidence yet that her run failed. Davies got two Doctors and a spin-off show. Moffatt got two Doctors. Chibnell gets one.
Hopefully that is unspoken evidence that the First Doctor is going to end up as the First Doctor again. Looking forward to putting this whole mess behind us.

Had to laugh though. The BBC put a puff piece on their website praising everything they've done. The comments disagreed to put it mildly and were closed within hours.
BBally81
Officer

Post by BBally81 »

I still don't think Whittaker deserves the blame for how bad the era, that's all on Chibnall and the writing.

Most audiences were clearly accepting of a female Doctor judging by the huge viewership her first episode got, the issue was the writing pushed people away.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

BBally81 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:11 pm I still don't think Whittaker deserves the blame for how bad the era, that's all on Chibnall and the writing.

Most audiences were clearly accepting of a female Doctor judging by the huge viewership her first episode got, the issue was the writing pushed people away.
I don't think Whittaker is a good actress. Sorry. In my personal opinion she comes across as someone trying to cosplay as Matt Smith. As in, someone told her at some point that the Doctor is ''wacky'' and ''energetic'' and ''makes funny faces'' and that is what she decided to do. Never does she come across (to me) as someone who beneath the clowning is actually thousands of years old whereas Tennant and Smith could put on a thousand-yard-stare that could cool the blood of Micheal Corleone.

I would liken it to the difference between Jadzia and Ezri Dax. Jadzia, whilst often coming off as a valley girl, had moments where you believed that she really did have seven lifetimes worth of experience behind her. Bestowing wisdom and knowledge far beyond her years. Ezri on the other hand kind of came off as a female Harry Kim a lot of the time. That was the fault of having only a season to develop admittedly, but the point still stands.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Are you done? Are you happy now? Has the decision of Jodie Whittaker to leave brought satisfaction and meaning into your life? Are the stars of your personal cosmos re-aligned?
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:57 pm Are you done? Are you happy now? Has the decision of Jodie Whittaker to leave brought satisfaction and meaning into your life? Are the stars of your personal cosmos re-aligned?
I'm not nearly that invested in the matter.