The next Dr Who is rumoured to be Olly Alexander

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
sayla0079
Captain

Re: The next Dr Who is rumoured to be Olly Alexander

Post by sayla0079 »

clearspira wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:30 pm
BBally81 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:11 pm I still don't think Whittaker deserves the blame for how bad the era, that's all on Chibnall and the writing.

Most audiences were clearly accepting of a female Doctor judging by the huge viewership her first episode got, the issue was the writing pushed people away.
I don't think Whittaker is a good actress. Sorry. In my personal opinion she comes across as someone trying to cosplay as Matt Smith. As in, someone told her at some point that the Doctor is ''wacky'' and ''energetic'' and ''makes funny faces'' and that is what she decided to do. Never does she come across (to me) as someone who beneath the clowning is actually thousands of years old whereas Tennant and Smith could put on a thousand-yard-stare that could cool the blood of Micheal Corleone.

I would liken it to the difference between Jadzia and Ezri Dax. Jadzia, whilst often coming off as a valley girl, had moments where you believed that she really did have seven lifetimes worth of experience behind her. Bestowing wisdom and knowledge far beyond her years. Ezri on the other hand kind of came off as a female Harry Kim a lot of the time. That was the fault of having only a season to develop admittedly, but the point still stands.
You are entitled to your opinion but I recommend you watch Jodie in other things before declaring her a bad actress.
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Post by ProfessorDetective »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:57 pm Are you done? Are you happy now? Has the decision of Jodie Whittaker to leave brought satisfaction and meaning into your life? Are the stars of your personal cosmos re-aligned?
Oh good, someone esle did the 'There! She's gone! Happy?!' for me. I assumed it'd open a can of worms.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

clearspira wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:05 pm
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:57 pm Are you done? Are you happy now? Has the decision of Jodie Whittaker to leave brought satisfaction and meaning into your life? Are the stars of your personal cosmos re-aligned?
I'm not nearly that invested in the matter.
Well you sure seem invested when you spend so many words to complain about it, predict dire consequences coming from it, and belabor how bad a decision you think it is.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Ladies and gentlemen I present you the internet. Arguing to argue.
I got nothing to say here.
J!!
Captain

Post by J!! »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:36 am
Well you sure seem invested when you spend so many words to complain about it, predict dire consequences coming from it, and belabor how bad a decision you think it is.
Actually, I think he's being honest for once there. Because it's pretty clear that like everything else, this is all just one more excuse for him to get angry over something; completely interchangeable with every other 'issue' he comes on here to bitch about. Playing 'Culture-Warrior V.S. The Forces Of Wokeness' lets him inflate his low self-esteem, so if this weren't a thing, he'd just find something else to gripe about.

People with low self-esteem often invent villains to rail against; it lets them feel heroic, without putting in the effort of actually dealing with their problems.
sayla0079
Captain

Post by sayla0079 »

Since there has been questions about Jodie's acting ability I present evidence of her acting before Doctor who

youtu.be/8KvdRtU0NQ0

youtu.be/lY3jSVf4PYY

youtu.be/6hFO2YImqYY
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

J!! wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:33 am
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:36 am
Actually, I think he's being honest for once there. Because it's pretty clear that like everything else, this is all just one more excuse for him to get angry over something; completely interchangeable with every other 'issue' he comes on here to bitch about. Playing 'Culture-Warrior V.S. The Forces Of Wokeness' lets him inflate his low self-esteem, so if this weren't a thing, he'd just find something else to gripe about.

People with low self-esteem often invent villains to rail against; it lets them feel heroic, without putting in the effort of actually dealing with their problems.
I'll agree with you on one thing: at least i'm honest about what I like and what I dislike. What I like are decent stories that respect what has come before and what ultimately respect me as a viewer. I have no time for ideological bullshit that detracts from that such as gender or race swapping nor do I have time for creators who insult me for wanting that nor those who insist that I should shut up because I am straight, white and have a penis. I believe that equality is more than shoving a black person or a woman in there and calling it a day which is what the BBC and Chibnall has done. These fundamentals are what comprise the man behind my keyboard and I will not apologise for any of it.

Now on to the meat of your accusation against moi: I do not remember ever using terms like ''SJW'' or ''Woke'' or ''Culture war''. I may have in my younger days, but I don't remember it and I certainly try not to nowadays because they are buzzwords without any true meaning. See, here's the thing: people like you like to use these words to describe people like me and not the other way around. Its a handy way to dismantle my points in a single word and to dog-whistle the likeminded:
''He's right wing, a misogynist, a hate-monger, he must love the orange man, he's an ist, an ism, a phobe.'' All of my other points about plot, structure, narrative, continuity, cohesion, and respecting the audience are ignored because all of it is churned into the air and woven in with your assertion of my character. Its all a nice and easy box to put away those that you disagree with.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

sayla0079 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:05 am Since there has been questions about Jodie's acting ability I present evidence of her acting before Doctor who

youtu.be/8KvdRtU0NQ0

youtu.be/lY3jSVf4PYY

youtu.be/6hFO2YImqYY
I put it to you that Ian Mckellen is one of the greatest actors of all time. Gandalf, Magneto, Sherlock Holmes, Richard the 3rd, Macbeth, the Grim Reaper.
Yet despite this, he would also have been horribly miscast if you cast him as the Terminator.

Same here. She may be a great actor in any other setting. But all i've seen her in is Dr Who. And as a Dr Who, just as Ian Mckellen would be if he tried to deliver the line ''I'll be back'' before shooting up a police station, she is horribly miscast as the Doctor.
J!!
Captain

Post by J!! »

clearspira wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:10 pm ''He's right wing, a misogynist, a hate-monger, he must love the orange man, he's an ist, an ism, a phobe.'' All of my other points about plot, structure, narrative, continuity, cohesion, and respecting the audience are ignored because all of it is churned into the air and woven in with your assertion of my character. Its all a nice and easy box to put away those that you disagree with.
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply any of those things about you. In fact, I'd never intentionally accuse you of believing in anything at all.

The only thing I meant to assert is that you are a sad little man who uses outraged indignation to distract from the unhappiness of your own life, and that all your self-richeous rhetoric exists entirely to inflate your low self-esteem with the veneer of a heroic identity-narritive.

Again, I apologize for the miscommunication.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Personal attacks are not tolerated here. The thread will remain open, if you want to:
-> Talk about who the next Doctor could be
-> Discuss the impact of Jodie Whittaker's run on Doctor Who

And that's it.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu