The next Dr Who is rumoured to be Olly Alexander

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
J!!
Captain

Re: The next Dr Who is rumoured to be Olly Alexander

Post by J!! »

Consider the matter dropped.
J!!
Captain

Post by J!! »

Also, I would totally watch a movie with Ian McKellen as The Terminator. I'm imagining this kindly old man souring Dickens and Shakespeare, as he rips people's spines out.
sayla0079
Captain

Post by sayla0079 »

clearspira wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:24 pm
sayla0079 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:05 am Since there has been questions about Jodie's acting ability I present evidence of her acting before Doctor who

youtu.be/8KvdRtU0NQ0

youtu.be/lY3jSVf4PYY

youtu.be/6hFO2YImqYY
I put it to you that Ian Mckellen is one of the greatest actors of all time. Gandalf, Magneto, Sherlock Holmes, Richard the 3rd, Macbeth, the Grim Reaper.
Yet despite this, he would also have been horribly miscast if you cast him as the Terminator.

Same here. She may be a great actor in any other setting. But all i've seen her in is Dr Who. And as a Dr Who, just as Ian Mckellen would be if he tried to deliver the line ''I'll be back'' before shooting up a police station, she is horribly miscast as the Doctor.
That is fair I just wanted to show that she can actually act since some people think she can't because of one role.
BBally81
Officer

Post by BBally81 »

Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

If there's anything we've learned from watching Chuck review Voyager, it should be that good acting can't always save shitty writing. I put forward that lack of quality in these Doctor Who episodes is not due to poor casting, but do to poor writing.

I mean, seriously, remember that spider episode? Remember the hard left turn that Kerblam took with its ending? Remember the Lone Cyberman Finale? I dare you to tell me the actor who could have made that work, Clearspira, whether they be an Ian or an Arnold.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

Going by Clearspira’s three worst things that happened in Doctor Who, apparently casting a woman in the role was worse than any bad writing.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:52 pm If there's anything we've learned from watching Chuck review Voyager, it should be that good acting can't always save shitty writing. I put forward that lack of quality in these Doctor Who episodes is not due to poor casting, but do to poor writing.
No joke. Just look at the recent Trek shows for examples. At this point it's almost a franchise staple to waste talent. :(
CaptainCalvinCat
Officer

Post by CaptainCalvinCat »

clearspira wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:10 pm
J!! wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:33 am
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:36 am
clearspira wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:05 pm
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:57 pm Are you done? Are you happy now? Has the decision of Jodie Whittaker to leave brought satisfaction and meaning into your life? Are the stars of your personal cosmos re-aligned?
I'm not nearly that invested in the matter.
Well you sure seem invested when you spend so many words to complain about it, predict dire consequences coming from it, and belabor how bad a decision you think it is.
Actually, I think he's being honest for once there. Because it's pretty clear that like everything else, this is all just one more excuse for him to get angry over something; completely interchangeable with every other 'issue' he comes on here to bitch about. Playing 'Culture-Warrior V.S. The Forces Of Wokeness' lets him inflate his low self-esteem, so if this weren't a thing, he'd just find something else to gripe about.

People with low self-esteem often invent villains to rail against; it lets them feel heroic, without putting in the effort of actually dealing with their problems.
I'll agree with you on one thing: at least i'm honest about what I like and what I dislike. What I like are decent stories that respect what has come before and what ultimately respect me as a viewer. I have no time for ideological bullshit that detracts from that such as gender or race swapping nor do I have time for creators who insult me for wanting that nor those who insist that I should shut up because I am straight, white and have a penis. I believe that equality is more than shoving a black person or a woman in there and calling it a day which is what the BBC and Chibnall has done. These fundamentals are what comprise the man behind my keyboard and I will not apologise for any of it.

Now on to the meat of your accusation against moi: I do not remember ever using terms like ''SJW'' or ''Woke'' or ''Culture war''. I may have in my younger days, but I don't remember it and I certainly try not to nowadays because they are buzzwords without any true meaning. See, here's the thing: people like you like to use these words to describe people like me and not the other way around. Its a handy way to dismantle my points in a single word and to dog-whistle the likeminded:
''He's right wing, a misogynist, a hate-monger, he must love the orange man, he's an ist, an ism, a phobe.'' All of my other points about plot, structure, narrative, continuity, cohesion, and respecting the audience are ignored because all of it is churned into the air and woven in with your assertion of my character. Its all a nice and easy box to put away those that you disagree with.

Okay, then let us do this.

I have little to no problem with Jodies Dottora.
She was cool and clever, and let’s be honest here: the socio-political stuff has allways been interwoven into Sci-Fi. It’s like Chuck himself pointed out: Sci Fi is about the human condition.

I liked the episodes of the 13th Doctor - there was literally no bad episode in the bunch.