TNG - The Masterpiece Society

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
McAvoy
Captain

Re: TNG - The Masterpiece Society

Post by McAvoy »

That makes sense.

Isnt there blueprints of the Soundstage of TNG and other series floating around? Probably could figure out how big those corridors really are.
I got nothing to say here.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

I think there are. It's been a while since I looked, but I think there was one that was decently long (but still shorter than it appears) and the rest were tiny, including the one shown here. Still, I think one could muster a bit more of an appearance of urgency than what they demonstrate here. I'm sure it's tiring to pretend to rush at least as much as actual rushing, though. For all we know this was take 103. :lol:
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Deledrius wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:28 pm I think there are. It's been a while since I looked, but I think there was one that was decently long (but still shorter than it appears) and the rest were tiny, including the one shown here. Still, I think one could muster a bit more of an appearance of urgency than what they demonstrate here. I'm sure it's tiring to pretend to rush at least as much as actual rushing, though. For all we know this was take 103. :lol:
Ahh yes. Short sprints or short power walking. Pretty tiring if you gotta do 100 of them.
I got nothing to say here.
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

Okay so late to the party and just watched the review. I was clapping at the end saying "Preach it Brother!" Because I agreed with all of it.
I shared Geordi's amusement that a tiny thing adapted to his prosthetic would be the key for their people. Every person there was grown to be and knew they were the best at what they did. Then the primitive apes they left behind came in a ship with more power than the entire colony. Weapons they were not thinking of and methods of getting around they didn't dream of. Because when a boulder block a path. The reasonable man turns back, the path is blocked. The unreasonable man will split a mountain to make a path between villages so no one need die like his wife had. You want progress, look to the unreasonable man. You want efficiency? Find the laziest person you can and tell them to get it done.

And learning that those primitive apes past them? Left many of these people saying I have to leave. I am not the best and smartest scientist, or engineer. Just the most arrogant in this tiny pond, and I must be better.
Is that them fulfilling the code placed on them? Perhaps. But look at the Doctor on Voyager. An automated weapon asked it. "Have you ever desired to not be a doctor?" And while the Doctor has some flights of fancy. Doctor is who he is. And he seems to take satisfaction from it. Is he the best EMH mark I because he was left on? Or because he was allowed to expand on his repertoire?

Just my food for thought here.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

McAvoy wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:05 am That makes sense.

Isnt there blueprints of the Soundstage of TNG and other series floating around? Probably could figure out how big those corridors really are.
It'll also depend if there's space around the corner off the set for them to run on to it.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

McAvoy wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:12 am Ahh yes. Short sprints or short power walking. Pretty tiring if you gotta do 100 of them.
It's mostly the mental energy of starting, stopping, starting, doing the same thing over and over, and trying to make sure it's fresh every time.

I mean, yeah, that's acting. But they're people. I'm just speculating here though, who knows. For all we know this was a deliberate choice by the director on take number 1.
Seaward
Redshirt

Post by Seaward »

Chuck's big rant about the PD can't help but remind me of one defence of it - in particular the usage in Homeward - that will never fail to infuriate me to no end.

"But what if they turned out to be the next Dominion?"

Great, what if they turn out to be the once species that can beat the next Dominion? We could play the "but what if!" game back and forth all day, but it won't actually get us anywhere. And if somebody is going to say that not knowing is enough to let millions of people die... Well I can't say that I like that reasoning much at all.

To paraphrase Chuck, there's a difference between playing god and happening to pass through at the right time.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Nealithi wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:59 pmJust my food for thought here.
Indeed, other characters have grown beyond their programming:

* The Doctor in addition to being a doctor has also dropped that to be an opera singer as well as developing his talent as a writer. While he makes use of what he was made to be, he also has expanded into other areas that he enjoys. The thing about being a plumber on Masterpiece world is that he might also have an unacknowledged love of theater.

People are not just one thing.

* Seven and Hugh are other examples. People the Borg instilled their idea of perfection into.
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:59 am
Nealithi wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:59 pmJust my food for thought here.
Indeed, other characters have grown beyond their programming:

* The Doctor in addition to being a doctor has also dropped that to be an opera singer as well as developing his talent as a writer. While he makes use of what he was made to be, he also has expanded into other areas that he enjoys. The thing about being a plumber on Masterpiece world is that he might also have an unacknowledged love of theater.

People are not just one thing.

* Seven and Hugh are other examples. People the Borg instilled their idea of perfection into.
True and yet I question it. Let me explain. Why do they even have anyone in entertainment if you are simply satisfied with the work you do? Why do you need a person whose sole purpose is to argue the opposite view? And why did these people have similar yet distinct clothing? IE they followed a fashion, but not homogenized wardrobe?

And the answer I can give is that the human mind is not a simple computer doing one thing. There is little point to a chef, if say you can make everyone simply enjoy whatever sludge is put before them. Why bother having a trained pianist if all you want is an absolute perfect version of the music? That is what recordings are for. So they put in wiggle room for some aberration to conformity. But not enough.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

As stated elsewhere, "This is the nicest isolationist eugenicist totalitarian hereditary dictatorship world you're likely to see."