TOS - Who Mourns for Adonais?

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Beastro
Captain

Re: TOS - Who Mourns for Adonais?

Post by Beastro »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:03 am BTW, clearspira, there aren't many of this but I'm far from alone in that respect. If you're interested in finding out more here's a 101 article: http://www.religionfacts.com/hellenic-reconstructionism
I think his point is that enough is lost you won't be able to as much as you try. It will be mostly Modernist axioms and outlook with a

It's the similar position to Wicca with Medieval witches. Witches of the Middle Ages have almost nothing in common with what people think of them today and certainly weren't pagan holdovers, they were heretical Christians trying to appeal to mostly God through Mary and the Saint's in their prayers and magic than anyone else.
I stopped praying to jealous gods when I left Christianity.
An interesting insight in how society has gone in ways lately. There is less desire for demand and a more apathetic interchange. The jealousy of God is tied to the marriage aspect in the Ten Commandments and the wedding of God to His people into a relationship of exclusivity. The jealousy is in that way more akin to the justifiable position someone has towards their spouse flirting a bit too much with someone else rather than ideas of control.
After all, you wouldn't turn your back on Christianity and worship Ahura Mazda just because some Zoriastrian mystic performed miracles more impressive than those attributed to the prophets, would you?
No, but the perspective on diety-hood of Moderns comes from Christianity. That is that deity is the highest being possible. Anything greater than what you think is God is God, and what you thought was God was false. It is from this that Stargate gets it view, whereas to actual pagans of millennia past, the Goa'uld wouldn't stand out at all as anything special of false, and not simply because they have tech to pass for magic.
clearspira wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:01 am
pilight wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:46 pm
JL_Stinger wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:23 pm The only thing worthy of worship is perfection.
Didn't expect to see someone embracing the philosophy of the Borg
Especially as perfection is impossible as it is an ideal that everyone has a different opinion of. To put it bluntly: a Ku Klux Klan member is going to have a different idea of a perfect being and a perfect world than Florence Nightingale.

And what even is perfection when relating to the Christian god anyway? Because i'm looking around and I cannot see an awful lot that this perfect being has created that is actually all that perfect.
Genesis points a way. It's interesting that it's obvious that the Fall is tied in some way of the dawn of human consciousness, and it wasn't a happy event.

"Not a lot being perfect" to people today usually boils down to suffering existing. For me, someone greatly suffering suffering from chronic pain issues, I can at least recognize that suffering has its place. If only for the fact that I understand pain all too well and can do my best to convey understanding and sympathy even if I can't help resolve the pain.

Knowing too many free from pain, I know that tends to make people cold and callous to suffering, as if it was a choice one can snap out of instantly (and often it is a choice, just one that doesn't change over night).
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

I meant this thread.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

I enjoyed this episode most of all of Star Trek: TOS.

I should note that in THE NEW FRONTIER by Peter David, Jellico cites this episode as one of the proofs that Kirk was just making up shit.

Later, the crew gets hijacked by Odin.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:18 pm I meant this thread.
The review was just re-uploaded to YouTube.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Hey, what if they got like an Egyptian god as a crew member.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:21 am Hey, what if they got like an Egyptian god as a crew member.
As long as Gene Roddenberry doesn't get to write for them, we've got a chance of it being interesting.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Deledrius wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:49 am
Thebestoftherest wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:21 am Hey, what if they got like an Egyptian god as a crew member.
As long as Gene Roddenberry doesn't get to write for them, we've got a chance of it being interesting.
Just suggest it be Bast or Isis and he'd be game.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

In retrospect, if Star Trek did do something with the Greek gods then we probably wouldn't have gotten Stargate. ESPECIALLY if we then went on to get the Egyptian gods. Perhaps its a good thing that this story was such a failure tbh.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

I think Chuck's rating is ridiculous, to be frank.

This is one of THE iconic episodes of the Original Series and if it is, "Kirk vs. A God" then it is certainly the best of them.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:01 pm I think Chuck's rating is ridiculous, to be frank.

This is one of THE iconic episodes of the Original Series and if it is, "Kirk vs. A God" then it is certainly the best of them.
The execution is pretty poor though. And it does have some of the worst sexism on offer in TOS - and i'm not just talking about the women. Scotty is toxic masculinity to the extreme.