Controversial fandom opinions?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Makeshift Python
Captain

Re: Controversial fandom opinions?

Post by Makeshift Python »

I've only seen the Stargate film. Once they crossed the portal and ended up in a desert planet, the rest of the movie was boring.

On second thought, I did see one episode of SG-1. It was when Richard Dean Anderson's character started to rapidly age and had REALLY bad make up/prosthetics.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

DISCO is a fun series for two seasons then becomes (in the words of Commander Tilly) "fucking awesome."

PICARD is just flat out great.

LOWER DECKS is better than all but DS9, TOS, and TNG's later seasons.
phantom000
Captain

Post by phantom000 »

I like the Gungans, they are a fun and interesting race with a lot of potential and I wish they were use them more in SW.

Jar Jar Binks on the other hand is stupid and annoying and has a really dumb name, he is best left forgotten, I just wish he hadn't dragged the rest of his people down with him.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Yukaphile wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:17 am I want to add saying "I like PICARD and DISCO" is also something that's legit to add here. Perhaps too easy, but legit. Never went to see Force Awakens, that's one I have that I think may set me apart from most everyone on this forum, though. :lol:
I cannot resist noting that you did spend at least 500 comments saying that you hated it back in the day. A good percentage of them were decrying the fact that Klingons have two penises as I recall.
Yukaphile wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:25 am Perhaps that's my new controversial opinion. While I can still perhaps like the old shows, I've defected to the Stargate fandom. Boo-yah. Deal with it. :lol:
But changing your opinion is fine because I too have changed mine greatly since I first arrived on the forum and many of my more recent comments prove it imo.
I still dislike latter day Trek, but I can admit that the older shows were by no means as good as I thought they were as a kid. And for the most part they have aged terribly compared to Stargate. Maybe its unfair to compare 1997 SG-1 with 1966 TOS and 1987 TNG, but its absolutely fair to compare them with 1995 VOY and 2001 ENT.
See, I may have started out as someone on here who used to defend fanservice, but as time as gone on, I find myself just embarrassed to look at Seven of Nine and T'Pol today. When you look at what Stargate was doing with Carter, and what Farscape would do with Aeryn and what BSG would do with Starbuck just a few years later; Star Trek treated women as objects who were there to fill out a catsuit. Seven, T'Pol, Troi, even Kes in season 3. Yar and Kira had no catsuit but their uniform tops said it all anyway.

Is it any wonder that sci-fi fans used to have a stereotype of being virgins when you look at the state of Seven of Nine's outfit?
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

That is a fist point, especially when in clone wars learn they have mystics abilities
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

clearspira wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:13 pm I cannot resist noting that you did spend at least 500 comments saying that you hated it back in the day. A good percentage of them were decrying the fact that Klingons have two penises as I recall.
I learned of a lot cringier things to hate in addition to that, with my yearly hiatus, but I don't watch, so let the people who like it have their day. I am convinced the new stuff has no cultural staying power, least of which is us being divided into our own thousands of different subcultures thanks to the death of cable in the streaming age. Makes me miss it all the more. So it's just there to make money. That IS what corporations have done all along. They're just less capable because the Internet makes it so much easier to control and divide, to spread lies, so the executives want toadies and not the best employees they can possibly get these days. And the Internet ALSO makes it more obvious than ever.

In the end, time will prove who is vindicated, and I'm pretty sure it's going to be us. So take the high road. :)
clearspira wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:13 pm But changing your opinion is fine because I too have changed mine greatly since I first arrived on the forum and many of my more recent comments prove it imo.
I still dislike latter day Trek, but I can admit that the older shows were by no means as good as I thought they were as a kid. And for the most part they have aged terribly compared to Stargate. Maybe its unfair to compare 1997 SG-1 with 1966 TOS and 1987 TNG, but its absolutely fair to compare them with 1995 VOY and 2001 ENT.
See, I may have started out as someone on here who used to defend fanservice, but as time as gone on, I find myself just embarrassed to look at Seven of Nine and T'Pol today. When you look at what Stargate was doing with Carter, and what Farscape would do with Aeryn and what BSG would do with Starbuck just a few years later; Star Trek treated women as objects who were there to fill out a catsuit. Seven, T'Pol, Troi, even Kes in season 3. Yar and Kira had no catsuit but their uniform tops said it all anyway.

Is it any wonder that sci-fi fans used to have a stereotype of being virgins when you look at the state of Seven of Nine's outfit?
Stargate is such an amazing web of continuity, I couldn't believe it. I've also further refined what I dislike about Disney Star Wars, and it isn't some kinda canon war deal. Let the Disney fans love what they love for now, it'll be rebooted in the next 20 to 30 years, sadly. While Legends, imo, will endure in the same way the older Star Trek shows have.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Rocketboy1313
Captain

Post by Rocketboy1313 »

I don't like "E.T."

As a child I really did not grasp the psychic connection thing going on between ET and Eliot, as an adult I find that the movie is mostly boring. This is aside from the bike chase at the end, my brother and I happened to tune into the movie at just that part one afternoon and were blown away by the god-tier skill level Spielberg displayed with directing that chase, it is so much fun.

Spielberg should direct every chase scene...
My Blog: http://rocketboy1313.blogspot.com/
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rocketboy1313
My Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/rocketboy1313
My Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/13rocketboy13
Rocketboy1313
Captain

Post by Rocketboy1313 »

Here is another one.

"Dune" is overrated, and its fandom is so hateful, weird, and up their own asses they make the gremlins that compose the Star Wars Fandom look as accepting and positive as the "Steven Universe" fandom.

And I say this as a person who likes Dune.
My Blog: http://rocketboy1313.blogspot.com/
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rocketboy1313
My Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/rocketboy1313
My Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/13rocketboy13
Lazerlike42
Officer

Post by Lazerlike42 »

As a longtime reader, this is a heck of a topic to mark my first contribution, but it's what has inspired me to finally make an account because this is one of my longest held, most controversial opinions:

I think The Visitor is not only one of the most overrated episodes in all of Star Trek, but also one of the "objectively" worst.

To explain why, I think it's helpful to compare it to The Inner Light. They're similar episodes in many ways: both feature extremely different settings and foci from most Trek episodes, both are set in an alternate reality, both are "pure science fiction stories" set in Star Trek but which could stand on their own if set outside of the franchise (like City on the Edge of Forever, Far Beyond the Stars, and others), both try to present a lifetime over the course of the episode's runtime, both focus heavily on relationships/family, and both share various other characteristics.

Yet The Inner Light is vastly superior and at every turn shows where The Visitor goes wrong. The core of TIL is the relationship between Picard and the people around him, especially his wife. We see a series of key events which together help us to feel like we've seen a whole lifetime. The core of TV is the relationship between Ben and Jake - but we barely see it. We get a series of extremely short visits from Ben, but the bulk of the episode is actually spent on Jake's talks with the visiting writer or on Jake's attempts to rescue his father. Both are important to the story and the latter especially is important to our appreciation of the Ben-Jake relationship, but it's disproportionate. We get an episode that has a great concept and enormous potential for an extremely emotional, cathartic piece - but the bulk of it is spent on the framing device and tech sessions.

I also find the acting in TV to be terrible - but I don't blame that on the actors at all. Rather, I think the problem is that the script is giving them all of these extremely emotional scenes and lines and moments which are supposed to carry great weight! - but it never puts in the time to earn those moments so when the actors deliver those lines, they can't help but feel forced. Imagine if we only saw Edith Keeler and Kirk together for a few very brief minutes, and then rather than seeing him gradually fall in love with her we were rather just sort of told by the exposition, so that we were supposed to understand that he was in love with her without having actually experienced it. How much would that change the ending? To me, that's what we get from The Visitor, more or less. Meanwhile, TIL it almost becomes possible to forget that you're watching an episode of Star Trek (I think it would be if not for the brief returns to the bridge of the Enterprise) because the various characters are given sufficient depth that they feel like real characters who could stand on their own. The emotional moments in TIL are earned. For example, you really feel for the young children at the end because of the state of the world they have been born into. The rest of the episode made that moment matter.

Finally, there's something worth noting about the way these episodes end. They're each supposed to cover entire lifetimes, and with Picard we see how that lifetime has permanently impacted him as a person. The final scene with him playing the flute is brilliant in showing better than any dialogue could ever tell how the experience has changed him and will be with him forever. On the other hand, while Ben apparently remembers the experience, Jake doesn't - and yet Ben's experience was, from his perspective, an extremely short time. That lifetime that Jake lived - and that Ben never actually got to see or really understand or know - is essentially lost and gone forever. It has no meaning, and we see this moving forward. Picard's experience seems to be referenced throughout the rest of the series. It's not explicit or heavy handed, but we are repeatedly reminded that he had this experience and that it's still with him. The events of The Visitor are never referenced again as far as I recall, and why would they be? They're ultimately forgettable in the sense that they have no real impact on the characters - at least not the characters as the episode leaves them.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

I agree THE INNER LIGHT is vastly superior.

However, I get THE VISITOR is not about Sisko at all. It's about growing old and getting distracted from your dreams.

Jake ends up ruining his life or at least wasting it because of his obsession with his father.