Controversial fandom opinions?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Makeshift Python
Captain

Re: Controversial fandom opinions?

Post by Makeshift Python »

Rocketboy1313 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:58 am I don't like "E.T."

As a child I really did not grasp the psychic connection thing going on between ET and Eliot, as an adult I find that the movie is mostly boring. This is aside from the bike chase at the end, my brother and I happened to tune into the movie at just that part one afternoon and were blown away by the god-tier skill level Spielberg displayed with directing that chase, it is so much fun.

Spielberg should direct every chase scene...
Yeah, I never connected with that film. And now today I wonder what exactly was wrong with that alien. He’s either a lost child or someone’s lost retarded relative.
Rocketboy1313
Captain

Post by Rocketboy1313 »

Makeshift Python wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:49 am
Yeah, I never connected with that film. And now today I wonder what exactly was wrong with that alien. He’s either a lost child or someone’s lost retarded relative.
He is not retarded.
He built a communications device out of junk and learned a functional amount of the English language in a couple of days.
My Blog: http://rocketboy1313.blogspot.com/
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rocketboy1313
My Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/rocketboy1313
My Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/13rocketboy13
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Yeah. Never liked ET either. The alien design is pretty stupid too. Seems too slow and fat to have avoided being eaten in its caveman days long enough to have developed tech superior to ours tbh.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

clearspira wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:13 pm Seems too slow and fat to have avoided being eaten in its caveman days long enough to have developed tech superior to ours tbh.
You could say the same thing about most modern Westerners.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

TGLS wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:37 pm
clearspira wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:13 pm Seems too slow and fat to have avoided being eaten in its caveman days long enough to have developed tech superior to ours tbh.
True. Kind of adds an interesting layer to ET when you think about it. What sort of person was he before he ended up on Earth?
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

E.T.'s from the Skyriver Galaxy, don't you know? I mean, we see this from scenes in the Galactic Senate with Senator Grebleips. It's just relativity brought the Asogians forward into our galaxy the further they traveled from their galaxy due to a broken component on their hyperdrive, similarly to the Sith aboard the Harbinger from the Great Hyperspace War. :D When they return, it's going to be long past the Legacy era, which was set in 140 ABY.
Last edited by Yukaphile on Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Here's a controversial fandom opinion. I love Duel, one of Spielberg's earlier movies, over E.T. And over Jaws. No foolin'.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

TGLS wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:37 pm
Bazinga!
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

Yukaphile wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:19 pm Here's a controversial fandom opinion. I love Duel, one of Spielberg's earlier movies, over E.T. And over Jaws. No foolin'.
Would it be controversial? DUEL is aces. May be my favorite 70s Spielberg.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

clearspira wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:13 pm Yeah. Never liked ET either. The alien design is pretty stupid too. Seems too slow and fat to have avoided being eaten in its caveman days long enough to have developed tech superior to ours tbh.
There's a good argument that ET was actually a child itself left by his parents for a summer camp experience only to immediately freak out and want to come back early due to our planet being such a hellhole.