Bounty Hunters for Abortions

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
TulipQulqu
Officer

Re: Bounty Hunters for Abortions

Post by TulipQulqu »

Yukaphile wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:08 pm To go with the Christ allegory. That he was a humble working man from the salt of the Earth who loved and forgave. The loud, rich Christians are not in line with him. Nor are the warmonger Christians, which they've had for several centuries by this point.
The acts of the apostles and church founders are taken as exemplars for the modern Christian.

Paul the Apostle is more the figure they try to take after than Jesus Christ, since Paul was fully human while the Christ was of a divine nature.

It would be hubris to even want to be Christ-like to many, so Apostle-like is easier to aim for.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Yeah, for sure.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

TulipQulqu wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:43 pm
Yukaphile wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:08 pm To go with the Christ allegory. That he was a humble working man from the salt of the Earth who loved and forgave. The loud, rich Christians are not in line with him. Nor are the warmonger Christians, which they've had for several centuries by this point.
The acts of the apostles and church founders are taken as exemplars for the modern Christian.

Paul the Apostle is more the figure they try to take after than Jesus Christ, since Paul was fully human while the Christ was of a divine nature.

It would be hubris to even want to be Christ-like to many, so Apostle-like is easier to aim for.
Especially Paul. His Bibilical story while not overlooked, you never see Christians say they want to be like Paul.

This is just me, but Christians especially from America want to view themselves as martyrs fighting against the Godlessness and persecution of the Atheists/Muslims/etc. When it reality its not about trying to save themselves but trying to save the power they have or had in the country.
I got nothing to say here.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I think you get a lot more spiritualism with science than the edgy new-wave atheists want you to think. And I think we're just so arrogant because ALL our institutions have rotted to the core. Science as a philosophy, I read an article to this effect lately, is still valid, good, is still the path to the future. As an institution, the plague of all other ills in modern society has hit them too. The demand for more funding, where there's intense pressure to show results, publish or perish, and frankly, I'm tired of it. I will give a confession, I'm so confused, I don't know WHICH side is right any more in the culture war, left or right. I still call myself liberal, that's just TOO right wing for a lot of lefties today. I've talked to many conservatives in foreign countries. They are not monsters, they are not what the media spin wants you to think of them, as some kinda demonic entity that must be destroyed. I like 'em. I find more tolerance from them, ironically... that's kinda sad. They have a point when they say it seems that the left has almost completely embraced EVERYTHING they seemed to hate under Bush. That's just pathetic. How far we've fallen...
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

We don't need media to spin right-wingers, we have the words they say with their mouth holes. Whether or not they are "monsters" isn't hugely germane compared to the actual harm they do.

If you want help making up your mind on the particular issue in this thread, look up what women did before abortions were legal. If you want me to clear up the entire issue of right versus left for you...well then you're going to have to wait for my cheat night, when I'm allowed to drink as much as I want.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Ah, you're merely citing one issue among thousands of others. And I'm not involved with somebody and likely never will, so sad as it is to say, that issue to me, is probably less urgent than it used to be in my younger, romantically-inclined mind. IF I was married or had a girlfriend, yeah. But I don't. You know.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

I'm citing the issue that this thread is about. You know, the topic. The heading. The title.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Okay then. My bad. In fairness, it went off the rails long before that, though.
J!!
Captain

Post by J!! »

Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

Thank you for the video link.
I think I may vomit now.