Should RPG's Include Non-Binary Options? Part 2 KOTOR Remake

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Winter
Captain

Should RPG's Include Non-Binary Options? Part 2 KOTOR Remake

Post by Winter »

In the trailer for KOTOR remake Bastila calls Revan the greatest Sith in Generations and then says, quote, "THEY must be stopped". Now this could be intended to be directed to the Sith in general but I do wonder if the game will allow Revan to be non-binary as well as Male or Female. As the title suggests this ties into the post I made about this very subject as to whether or not RPG's should include Non-Binary as an option for players as it's, sadly, not something we've seen much of in gaming in the last few years.

But it would be interesting if this game does give you the option as KOTOR originally was a BioWare game and choice is a big factor in their games and KOTOR was no different. Also, if Revan is given the option to have voice actors I wonder if they would include Non-Binary actors for a NB Revan?

Not a whole lot to add other then it would be nice to have the option for this upcoming remake.
clearspira
Overlord

Re: Should RPG's Include Non-Binary Options? Part 2 KOTOR Remake

Post by clearspira »

Winter wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:39 am In the trailer for KOTOR remake Bastila calls Revan the greatest Sith in Generations and then says, quote, "THEY must be stopped". Now this could be intended to be directed to the Sith in general but I do wonder if the game will allow Revan to be non-binary as well as Male or Female. As the title suggests this ties into the post I made about this very subject as to whether or not RPG's should include Non-Binary as an option for players as it's, sadly, not something we've seen much of in gaming in the last few years.

But it would be interesting if this game does give you the option as KOTOR originally was a BioWare game and choice is a big factor in their games and KOTOR was no different. Also, if Revan is given the option to have voice actors I wonder if they would include Non-Binary actors for a NB Revan?

Not a whole lot to add other then it would be nice to have the option for this upcoming remake.
Right here is a perfect example of what i've been saying about how confusing it is to try and have a non-grammatically correct pronoun in common usage.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
Winter
Captain

Post by Winter »

clearspira wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:52 am
Winter wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:39 am In the trailer for KOTOR remake Bastila calls Revan the greatest Sith in Generations and then says, quote, "THEY must be stopped". Now this could be intended to be directed to the Sith in general but I do wonder if the game will allow Revan to be non-binary as well as Male or Female. As the title suggests this ties into the post I made about this very subject as to whether or not RPG's should include Non-Binary as an option for players as it's, sadly, not something we've seen much of in gaming in the last few years.

Right here is a perfect example of what i've been saying about how confusing it is to try and have a non-grammatically correct pronoun in common usage.
True, but until such time as a pronoun is made for those who are non-binary we have to stick with what we got and what we got is They/Them.

Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Who CARES about proper language? We are getting obsessive and battling over language use. Frankly, it's pathetic. Words that once meant something mean nothing now.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

clearspira wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:52 am

We've been using the singular they since Yee Olden Dayes. It's only confusing if you think it should be. I speak as somebody who has written several short stories with non-binary characters. It's no more of an issue than writing a conversation between two people of the same gender and keeping track of which "he" or which "her" it is.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

You know what broke the Overton Window? I do remember the discussions we used to have about that. Not Trump. He just put a big public face on what was already there. THE INTERNET. Just creeping up on everything. Call it a double standard, we need to accept them, but take it from this Internet user - the Internet was a mistake and it'd be better if it was just purged, deleted worldwide. There'd be fallout, but I have to wonder if once we recovered from it, that'd we IMPROVE, as a race and as people.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Winter
Captain

Post by Winter »

Yukaphile wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:14 am You know what broke the Overton Window? I do remember the discussions we used to have about that. Not Trump. He just put a big public face on what was already there. THE INTERNET. Just creeping up on everything. Call it a double standard, we need to accept them, but take it from this Internet user - the Internet was a mistake and it'd be better if it was just purged, deleted worldwide. There'd be fallout, but I have to wonder if once we recovered from it, that'd we IMPROVE, as a race and as people.
Okay, that's it, I've had enough. Grow UP, we're talking about whether an option in a game should be made available and you're complaining about the internet and how it's ruining humanity. There is a dark side to the net, you'd have to be an idiot to not acknowledge that, but there is good things about the net too.

We can communicate with friends half way across the world, share our ideas with others, express our opinions good and bad, creators of shows, movies and games can talk with the fans and get an idea on what we like or dislike. A person can make a living making a video series that's about making really good cakes, constructing a house or making reviews about Movies, games, TV Shows and comics.

Can this lead to bad things, of course, harassment is sadly more common place, obsessive fans who think sending death threats is something we more often then we should and people with idiot ideas, (like saying the Earth is flat to pick a save example) can spread their stupidity around more easily.

There are going to be terrible people online just like there are going to be good people who want to help. I know several people who's made life long friends that they likely never would have met if not for the net and likely would never be able to meet in person and can only keep in touch via the net.

And one other thing, those arguments you keep making about how more people are being recognized for their skills in film-making? That's because they're able to post their work online for everyone to see. Take the net away and they won't be able to share their work.

But all this means nothing right now because IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE SUBJECT AT HAND!!! We're talking about if the option to play as a non-binary character should be option for players who are either non-binary or just by people who like having more options. So, either talk about that or GET OFF THE NET IF YOU HATE IT SO MUCH!!!
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Yukaphile wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:14 am You know what broke the Overton Window? I do remember the discussions we used to have about that. Not Trump. He just put a big public face on what was already there. THE INTERNET. Just creeping up on everything. Call it a double standard, we need to accept them, but take it from this Internet user - the Internet was a mistake and it'd be better if it was just purged, deleted worldwide. There'd be fallout, but I have to wonder if once we recovered from it, that'd we IMPROVE, as a race and as people.
Start by yourself please and stop paying your ISP. Thank you, in the name of humanity.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

Should a non-binary choice be available? I am going to say it is situational.
If the game is about a new(ish) character, go for it.
If you were to set a game in the Clone Wars and play as Anakin, then no. His character wasn't non-binary.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Well, Kotor is set centuries before Anakin's immaculate pregnancy, so that doesn't seem terribly germane.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville