KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC REMAKE!!! YES!!!

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Madner Kami
Captain

Re: KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC REMAKE!!! YES!!!

Post by Madner Kami »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:53 pm Could either of those styles work with multiple characters since both force unleashed and Family orders basically have you only control one character most of the time.
I don't see why not? Adding two more NPCs who do their thing shouldn't be much of an issue, technically speaking, especially since they are going to build their own system from the ground up anyways, if they go for a real remake and not just a cosmetic update.

Oh, one more thing: Please let them revise light-/dark-choices, so dark isn't automagically a stupid-evil alignment... If there's one story in all of Star Wars that absolutely mandates how good intentions can lead you to terrible places, it's Revan's story.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

hammerofglass wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:56 pm Honestly even if they keep the under-the-hood-it's-turn-based approach just using a modern ruleset would make it so much smoother to play. The original was clunky even for a D20 system game.
Okay just worry it will be like ff7 remake where they try everything but to be a turn base rpg.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Madner Kami wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:31 pm
Thebestoftherest wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:53 pm Could either of those styles work with multiple characters since both force unleashed and Family orders basically have you only control one character most of the time.
I don't see why not? Adding two more NPCs who do their thing shouldn't be much of an issue, technically speaking, especially since they are going to build their own system from the ground up anyways, if they go for a real remake and not just a cosmetic update.

Oh, one more thing: Please let them revise light-/dark-choices, so dark isn't automagically a stupid-evil alignment... If there's one story in all of Star Wars that absolutely mandates how good intentions can lead you to terrible places, it's Revan's story.
I mean would all that jumping around you do in fallen order work when you got multiple characters doing it at once. I do agree with your on the choice, although part of me wonder if having an automatic system so your evil at the beginning or good would be helpful.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:47 pmI mean would all that jumping around you do in fallen order work when you got multiple characters doing it at once.
By necessity, you can't have all the jumping-puzzles or at least not in the same form, because not all your companions are Jedi or potential JEDI (unlike in KotOR2). I am specifically talking about combat instances. Though I suppose there's room for jumping- or exploration-puzzles that don't necessitate your companions to follow you closely. In fact, I think that could actually be a good addition to the gameplay.
Thebestoftherest wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:47 pm[...] although part of me wonder if having an automatic system so your evil at the beginning or good would be helpful.
I don't quite follow your train of thought. Elaborate, please.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Okay, I get what your putting down. You know how there is a light side and a dark side choice, maybe it would be interesting if you could toggle them so if you know your going to be a dark sith or a light jedi you can just do that without having to check which choice is what.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

I don't really see the benefit. Colour-coding your choice of reply has proven to be a quite effective method of conveying such things and I prefer that over selecting a preset that runs my conversations for me, especially if I have a distinct opinion about issues that is grey in nature or otherwise completely runs against my moral compass in other situations.
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Thebestoftherest
Captain

True but if you only got two endings wouldn't those who just want those endings prefer not accidently going gray, I am not saying you have to but to be a toggle.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

That's actually kind of an interesting point in the context of a remake, though. Because in original KOTOR it really wasn't that much of a theme. The true Sith Empire and Vitiate didn't exist as concepts at that time; Revan went to war, fell to the Dark Side, found a superweapon that amped up his armies, and that was that. He was pragmatic compared to Malak, but that says almost nothing.

The true Sith Empire, conquering the Republic to make it strong, falling deliberately as a conscious act out of perceived necessity... that all came from KOTOR 2. Tearing the simplistic morality of the first game apart and pointing out how life is a lot more nuanced than that is a big part of the second game.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

I want to comment here and point out a game that mostly did just this. Four actually. Mass Effect, all of them have people with you supplying their skills to aid you but not actually controlled by you.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

That is a fair point.