TNG- 11001001

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
stryke
Captain

Re: TNG - 11001001

Post by stryke »

Nightbeat74 wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:03 am i always thought the binars where kinda cute and hoped they would come back at some point,maybe with lower decks they can.
So far as of the uploaded on youtube version they have had one shout out as part of a great bit about Mariner's dating history.

Also was reading through the thread and came across a comment that I really agreed with and wanted to also reply to... and that was when I realised it was a comment made by me last year :D
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

stryke wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:30 am
Nightbeat74 wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:03 am i always thought the binars where kinda cute and hoped they would come back at some point,maybe with lower decks they can.
So far as of the uploaded on youtube version they have had one shout out as part of a great bit about Mariner's dating history.

That can't be true. Nothing involving Mariner can be great, she is far too toxic a character for that. She makes everything she is involved in suck that little bit more.
drewder
Officer

Re: TNG- 11001001

Post by drewder »

Madner Kami wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:29 am
drewder wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:10 am It sure is lucky that picard decided to show up in the holodeck and stick around since it turns out two people were required to do a data transfer. Also if you were trying to save your civilization wouldn't you make the process as simple and easy as possible instead of requiring two people to input a password in your language? Should be more along the lines of push the big red button.
Different cultures, different percetions. Four Bynars, four combinations, 11 00 10 01, for example. What is immediately and undisputably obvious to you, can be completely unrecognizable to someone else. Think of this symbol:

I'm fairly certain that it is immediatly obvious to you, what this sign is trying to tell you. This symbol's meaning is so common to us, that noone even spared a thought about how we can warn our descendants of the danger of buried nuclear waste products, because we can slap this symbol onto the sealed doors. It needed someone to point out this detail.

Also, 11001001 could very well be the Bynar's equivalent to using 12345678 as a password...
Perhaps there are cultural differences but any group that works with the federation, most likely federation members, would understand cultural differences exist and when trying to get someone who isn't in your culture to do something you'd be well served by trying to work with the culture that you're dealing with. People today understand this, surely an advanced civilization could understand it too.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

CrypticMirror wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:35 pm

That can't be true. Nothing involving Mariner can be great, she is far too toxic a character for that. She makes everything she is involved in suck that little bit more.
And to others she's one of the funnest characters in Star Trek.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:10 pm

No she isn't.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

CrypticMirror wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:46 pm

No she isn't.
Strange how you can speak so authoritatively about other people's opinions.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

TGLS wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:56 pm
CrypticMirror wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:46 pm

No she isn't.
Strange how you can speak so authoritatively about other people's opinions.
It helps that I'm not taking it seriously.
MightyDavidson
Officer

Post by MightyDavidson »

Wholeheartedly agree with you Charles. She's not my favorite character on the show, that'd be either Tendi or Rutherford but I do find her hilarious.
Al-1701
Officer

Re: TNG- 11001001

Post by Al-1701 »

What I've always loved in the episode is the music as Ron Jones seemed to go all out. The score for introducing the new holodeck, when Data and Gordi discover the warp core breakdown, Enterprise leaving, uploading the data, and the cinematic version of the main theme were all highlights.

As for the episode itself. I suggested it in the discussion of the hologram video, but I think Minuette was the AI of the Binars' mainframe using the hologram as an avatar. When the data was uploaded back into their system, the AI was gone and the hologram was the standard holographic character.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

CrypticMirror wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:35 pm That can't be true. Nothing involving Mariner can be great, she is far too toxic a character for that. She makes everything she is involved in suck that little bit more.
Now that you mention it, I think the other three characters would be a lot more watchable without her around.