'Detroit: Become Human - It's Bad' - [uricksaladbar]

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Re: 'Detroit: Become Human - It's Bad' - [uricksaladbar]

Post by Thebestoftherest »

I do wonder if it would help if they asked why they need to look so human, if I had one of those perfect human like robot in my house I would be creep out, I mean seriously what is wrong with rosie from the Jetson design.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:32 am I do wonder if it would help if they asked why they need to look so human, if I had one of those perfect human like robot in my house I would be creep out, I mean seriously what is wrong with rosie from the Jetson design.
I mean, Become Human and the "Humans" show it rips from are pretty clear they're fucking their robots.

:)
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

I just feel that more people would just be creep out by that with exceptions.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

I would buy a "wife" robot in a heartbeat tbh. All of the fun of a wife but one that obeys your commands and sits unseen in a closet when you no longer need her. What's not to like? (Joke)

Seriously though, the robosexual problem raised in Futurama would be a legit concern. If you can just buy a blonde with big boobs off the rack who is perfectly suited to your personality, would you ever really want to date a human again? It's not as if we already have a falling birth rate...
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

clearspira wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:56 am Seriously though, the robosexual problem raised in Futurama would be a legit concern. If you can just buy a blonde with big boobs off the rack who is perfectly suited to your personality, would you ever really want to date a human again? It's not as if we already have a falling birth rate...
If you could build a robot with sufficiently human skin, you could build one with an artificial womb stocked with harvested eggs and/or one with an artificial cock stocked with harvested sperm. Not to mention the possibility of deliberate surrogacy, designer babies, and building robot children. Heck, the last one's the real kicker. By the time we get around to robotic spouses, we're looking at a world where it's trivial to build robots that hold human values. The only reason not to is pure biochauvinism.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

clearspira wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:56 am I would buy a "wife" robot in a heartbeat tbh. All of the fun of a wife but one that obeys your commands and sits unseen in a closet when you no longer need her. What's not to like? (Joke)

Seriously though, the robosexual problem raised in Futurama would be a legit concern. If you can just buy a blonde with big boobs off the rack who is perfectly suited to your personality, would you ever really want to date a human again? It's not as if we already have a falling birth rate...
Random Literary Snobbery: "Rossom's Universal Robots" (1921) is where the word "Robot" comes from and the ending of the story is that the human race goes extinct because men and women decide to no longer breed with regular humans versus their perfect concubines.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

TGLS wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:40 pm
clearspira wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:56 am Seriously though, the robosexual problem raised in Futurama would be a legit concern. If you can just buy a blonde with big boobs off the rack who is perfectly suited to your personality, would you ever really want to date a human again? It's not as if we already have a falling birth rate...
If you could build a robot with sufficiently human skin, you could build one with an artificial womb stocked with harvested eggs and/or one with an artificial cock stocked with harvested sperm. Not to mention the possibility of deliberate surrogacy, designer babies, and building robot children. Heck, the last one's the real kicker. By the time we get around to robotic spouses, we're looking at a world where it's trivial to build robots that hold human values. The only reason not to is pure biochauvinism.
Damn. Which does bring me back to my original point about why people would have legit grievances against androids. Taking jobs is one thing, literally replacing us when it comes to human reproduction is another. I mean... could you imagine what some sexist dystopia could do with the ability to literally replace a man/woman in the birthing process? You could wipe out half the human race and not notice.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

clearspira wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:21 pm
TGLS wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:40 pm
Damn. Which does bring me back to my original point about why people would have legit grievances against androids. Taking jobs is one thing, literally replacing us when it comes to human reproduction is another. I mean... could you imagine what some sexist dystopia could do with the ability to literally replace a man/woman in the birthing process? You could wipe out half the human race and not notice.
Another random factoid: ARMITAGE III was a anime cyberpunk story about how Mars had started to deal with its lack of female residents by providing gynoids capable of producing children. This freaked the Hell out of the people back on Earth. Thus resulting in Mars getting the female immigration it wanted and economic support (at the mere cost of eliminating their sentient gynoids--as they'd always intended).

Why do I keep bringing this up?

Because all of these are more interesting than how BORING Become Human is.
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Post by ProfessorDetective »

I just found the perfect clip to describe playing this game.

youtu.be/ynY2begPzoM

(Sorry it was too perfect.)
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:48 pmAnother random factoid: ARMITAGE III was a anime cyberpunk story about how Mars had started to deal with its lack of female residents by providing gynoids capable of producing children. This freaked the Hell out of the people back on Earth. Thus resulting in Mars getting the female immigration it wanted and economic support (at the mere cost of eliminating their sentient gynoids--as they'd always intended).
Eliminating is kind of a tame word in this regard, considering all the things happening to the gynoids in this OVA. Borderline Second Renaissance shit (I actually wonder if the Wachowskis took some inspiration from here)...

And hey, I never thought I'd ever see anyone referencing this roughly hewn gem. It literally brought me into contact with japanese media and still am listening to the soundtrack frequently today. :D
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox