Trek Moments You Can't Wait For Chuck to Talk About

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
clearspira
Overlord

Re: Trek Moments You Can't Wait For Chuck to Talk About

Post by clearspira »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:56 am I mean everyone basically agrees DISCO season 3 is good except for the people who liked 1 and 2.

Which is the irony.

But yes, I want Chuck to finish reviewing Picard.

And anyone who doesn't like Lower Decks has no soul.
The true irony is: You've. Got. To. Listen. To. The. Fans.

Fuck all if anyone would have said if asked ''gee, I really want ANOTHER prequel, the last one worked out SO WELL didn't it? I also want Spock to have a sister and the Klingons looking completely different.''

The producers learned a valuable lesson. As much as they cry about ''entitled fans'', it only became successful when they actually started to listen to what people were asking for.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

clearspira wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:16 pm
CharlesPhipps wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:56 am I mean everyone basically agrees DISCO season 3 is good except for the people who liked 1 and 2.

Which is the irony.

Fuck all if anyone would have said if asked ''gee, I really want ANOTHER prequel, the last one worked out SO WELL didn't it? I also want Spock to have a sister and the Klingons looking completely different.''

The producers learned a valuable lesson. As much as they cry about ''entitled fans'', it only became successful when they actually started to listen to what people were asking for.
*cough* bullshit.

It was hugely successful. Hence why it's gotten a bunch of spin offs.

The reason it's in the future is because the new writers wanted to do it that way.

The haters don't get to take credit for a show they didn't watch in the first place that succeeded in spite of them.
RobbyB1982
Captain

Post by RobbyB1982 »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:02 pm *cough* bullshit.

The reason it's in the future is because the new writers wanted to do it that way.

The haters don't get to take credit for a show they didn't watch in the first place that succeeded in spite of them.
They changed showrunners four times and fixed most of the unpopular elements immediately at the start of season 2.

It was the first new star trek show in decades and it had a movie quality budget, it was always going to do decently regardless of the writing quality, out of sheer audience *curiosity*. It didn't start getting critical success until later.

Which is true of basically every single Trek show. Next gen didnt get good till season 3, DS9 and Voyager added Worf and Seven to their casts in their fourth seasons and reworked their concepts a bit, and Enterprise was turning around in its final season but was too tainted by then to make it to a full run. They all take time to find their footing.
stryke
Captain

Post by stryke »

RobbyB1982 wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:58 amWhich is true of basically every single Trek show. Next gen didnt get good till season 3, DS9 and Voyager added Worf and Seven to their casts in their fourth seasons and reworked their concepts a bit, and Enterprise was turning around in its final season but was too tainted by then to make it to a full run. They all take time to find their footing.
True for Lower Decks too. It just speed runs it and makes the usual jump from very bad to very good in the space of the first season.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:02 pm
clearspira wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:16 pm

Which is the irony.

*cough* bullshit.

You don't retool a successful show Charles. It went to the future because it sucked as a prequel.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

That is a good point Charles any rebuttal?
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

clearspira wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:20 pm You don't retool a successful show Charles. It went to the future because it sucked as a prequel.
You do if you change the creative minds behind it. Which the show has been doing constantly. Guys come in, do their thing and pitch their ideas, then leave for other projects or bigger deals. It happened once during Season one's development and again during Season two. The behind the scenes stuff is crazy.

And again, DISCO was successful enough that they've given it vast budgets and about a ridiculous number of spin offs so far.

In Biblical terms, DISCO begat:

PICARD (3 seasons so far)
LOWER DECKS (2 seasons so far)
PRODIGY
STRANGE NEW WORLDS
SECTION 31
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:02 pm
clearspira wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:20 pm You don't retool a successful show Charles. It went to the future because it sucked as a prequel.
You do if you change the creative minds behind it. Which the show has been doing constantly. Guys come in, do their thing and pitch their ideas, then leave for other projects or bigger deals. It happened once during Season one's development and again during Season two. The behind the scenes stuff is crazy.

And again, DISCO was successful enough that they've given it vast budgets and about a ridiculous number of spin offs so far.

In Biblical terms, DISCO begat:

PICARD (3 seasons so far)
LOWER DECKS (2 seasons so far)
PRODIGY
STRANGE NEW WORLDS
SECTION 31
They've announced a third season of Picard? For a man who has been pretty vocal on his apathy for Trek in recent years he sure is going full force in on this. My gut tells me that he won't be in it much. Y'know, kind of like how Blake's 7 actually became Avon's 7 in season 3 and 4.
Anyway, seems a bit disingenuous to include Section 31 give how that currently seems to be the Duke Nukem Forever of Star Trek but I take your point.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:02 pm Guys come in, do their thing and pitch their ideas, then leave for other projects or bigger deals. It happened once during Season one's development and again during Season two. The behind the scenes stuff is crazy.
I'm really looking forward to the documentaries about this in twenty years.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

clearspira wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:26 pm
They've announced a third season of Picard? For a man who has been pretty vocal on his apathy for Trek in recent years he sure is going full force in on this. My gut tells me that he won't be in it much. Y'know, kind of like how Blake's 7 actually became Avon's 7 in season 3 and 4.
Anyway, seems a bit disingenuous to include Section 31 give how that currently seems to be the Duke Nukem Forever of Star Trek but I take your point.
Pfft, they didn't even announce it, they started filming Season 3 immediately after Season 2 because of Covid-19's delays. Also because, and not to point it out too much, but Patrick Stewart is a bit on in his years.

https://trekmovie.com/2021/09/03/star-t ... -season-3/

And yes, it is surprising but I suppose Patrick Stewart revised his opinion with the creative control he was given. I wouldn't be surprised if after Season 3 that STAR TREK: SEVEN would be the new series since Jeri Ryan also has a much revised opinion of Trek due to the money they're throwing at her and creative control.

(Beltrane has even returned to do some Prodigy apparently)
Last edited by CharlesPhipps on Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.