A Positive Look At: Star Trek Lower Decks

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Re: A Positive Look At: Star Trek Lower Decks

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Reminds me of a bit from my Star Trek Adventures game:

Vulcan PC: Hello.

Vulcan Commander: You're hysterical.
Dman
Redshirt

Post by Dman »

KLINGON BLOOD RUNS AS REDDISH-PINK AS EVER!

It's been a great season, all great episodes. All building the cast little by little.

Love how the relationship between Mariner and Freeman has improved. Them shouting at each other over... feminine issues was hilarious with Boimler just nope-ing it out of there.

And speaking of Boimler, with every passing episode it just becomes harder o justify why he's still just an Ensign. He clearly has the skills, experience and the recognition of the bridge crew. We'll see what happens next week in the season finale.

I really hope we see more of Klingon Boimler, and we'll hopefully get Vulcan Mariner joining the Cerritos next season. Her out of control ways will create much conflict.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

I frelling love this show. I love it so, so much. T_T

Only somebody with no honor would kick a targ! Especially his OWN targ!

The ending warmed my heart.

Also laughed out loud at the Borg lower decks.

I do wonder though...is it only the Klingons? This was one rogue vessel acting without a clear endorsement from the high command. Maybe there's something else at play...

Gods I love this show.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
J!!
Captain

Post by J!! »

You know, I've often wondered if we'd see what Shax's life under The Occupation was like, so seeing him in art therapy for hardcore PTSD was real interesting. "FIGHTING FASCISM IS A FULL-TIME JOB!"

Just in general, the development of the upper-deckers & their relationships with the main characters has been fantastic. Especially Ransom's quiet respect for Boimler. I love the contrast between his disinterested "Yeah sure, I don't care" to suckup-redshirt and the genuine pat on the back he gave Boimler at the end of the anomily consolidation episode.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

The funny thing about a Klingon being behind all of the Pakleds advances is that it actually explains why they went from being brainless guys laying traps for good samaritans to murderous orcs straight from Warhammer 40K.
MightyDavidson
Officer

Post by MightyDavidson »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:34 am I frelling love this show. I love it so, so much. T_T

Only somebody with no honor would kick a targ! Especially his OWN targ!

The ending warmed my heart.

Also laughed out loud at the Borg lower decks.

I do wonder though...is it only the Klingons? This was one rogue vessel acting without a clear endorsement from the high command. Maybe there's something else at play...

Gods I love this show.
I was actually wondering that myself. It does seem like enabling the Pakleds to be a threat would require more effort then one lone Klingon captain could manage. I'm not suggesting the entire Empire is complicit mind you, just that it may be more then just this one guy. I'm still hoping that mob planet from TOS is involved somehow, though it doesn't look like it's gonna happen.
Al-1701
Officer

Post by Al-1701 »

Considering the Federation is the prohibitive superpower of the Alpha Quadrant at this point (if not the entire galaxy with the Dominion and Borg rebuilding), I have to suspect it has many looking to undermine it.

And it being Lower Decks to show this works all too well. This appears to be a episodic comedy, and yet is showing a great threat to the Federation at its point of perceived supremacy. The Federation defeated an empire that has dominated a quarter of the galaxy for millennia in a titanic and devastating war with the Klingons and Romulans by their side. As I said, attacking them would be insanity. You're not going to win by attacking head on.

So, you don't attack head on. Working through the Pakleds is the perfect avenue for this. They are a literal race of idiots who are easily manipulated. You supply them with weapons and tell them they can defeat the Federation, they'll believe it. And they don't need to defeat the entire Federation, just give it a black eye (like a devastating bombing of Earth) to knock it off its pedestal and instill a sense of fear in it that it isn't the prohibitive superpower they believes itself to be.

It's quite possible that the events of Lower Decks explains the attitudes in the Federation during the time of Picard. When being the subject of a conspiracy, it's easy for paranoia to set in.
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Post by ProfessorDetective »

Al-1701 wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:22 pm Considering the Federation is the prohibitive superpower of the Alpha Quadrant at this point (if not the entire galaxy with the Dominion and Borg rebuilding), I have to suspect it has many looking to undermine it.

And it being Lower Decks to show this works all too well. This appears to be a episodic comedy, and yet is showing a great threat to the Federation at its point of perceived supremacy. The Federation defeated an empire that has dominated a quarter of the galaxy for millennia in a titanic and devastating war with the Klingons and Romulans by their side. As I said, attacking them would be insanity. You're not going to win by attacking head on.

So, you don't attack head on. Working through the Pakleds is the perfect avenue for this. They are a literal race of idiots who are easily manipulated. You supply them with weapons and tell them they can defeat the Federation, they'll believe it. And they don't need to defeat the entire Federation, just give it a black eye (like a devastating bombing of Earth) to knock it off its pedestal and instill a sense of fear in it that it isn't the prohibitive superpower they believes itself to be.

It's quite possible that the events of Lower Decks explains the attitudes in the Federation during the time of Picard. When being the subject of a conspiracy, it's easy for paranoia to set in.
I thought the Fed's disposition during Picard was specifically a response to the attack on the World Trade Center- I mean, Mars during the Romulus Evacuation...

Seriously, that is such a thinly veiled 9/11 analog mixed with the Refugee Crisis.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Patrick Stewart said why he returned to Star Trek was because Brexit made him so mad.
Al-1701
Officer

Post by Al-1701 »

Brexit made a lot of people in the UK mad.