'Detroit: Become Human - It's Bad' - [uricksaladbar]

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Rodan56
Officer

Re: 'Detroit: Become Human - It's Bad' - [uricksaladbar]

Post by Rodan56 »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:57 am
Ehhh, the problem with that is I don't think any of those arguments are relevant to the subject in question. Deviancy is a virus that is spread by sharing programs but it manifests in spontaneously developing sentience, which is to say it is a "virus" of free will.

Which is only a problem if you consider that to be something that is inherently bad. It's almost literally the exact scenario with the Geth in Mass Effect and I wouldn't be surprised if David Cage's writers "borrowed" that idea for the androids.
The Geth are different from the androids in every concievable way. For one, they don't start randomly attacking quarians who think they're not working properly. Their war starts when their creators try to shut them all down wholesale out of a fear that once they fully wake up they'll conclude they are slaves and want to rebel. And they gain their sentience not through a virus, but by actual synthetic evolution, as their shared knowledge, experiences and memories through their neural network essentially makes them all smarter. More importantly, none of the Geth see themselves as individuals, unlike the Androids. To them, there is no difference, they are all Geth.

I'm sorry, but the fact is Deviancy is essentially a virus. It's directly saying these androids are malfunctioning. And if they aren't malfunctioning, according to the game itself, then they are just machines and therefore Connor being willing to kill Androids isn't really an actual personality, it's just programing. At the same time, none of the androids seem to have wills of their own. They follow Markus blindly on whatever path he decides for them. It's more like an infection, they wake up and suddenly his morals are their morals. That's not free will dude, that's just brainwashing.

I don't understand why you're trying to defend such a shallow portrayal of synthetic organisms gaining sentience while also trying to say "actually the game's problem is that it's not one-sided enough." That's just inexcusable to me, it's basically saying they failed cause they still had a semblance of a debate rather than no debate at all. Detroit is so bare bones flat concerning its intentions, message and direction that it's ultimately a boring uninterested presentation of the issue it claims to be about. At the same time it's a terrible example of civil rights as an allegory, taking imagery from that period but failing to actually recontextualize it for the scenario presented. But apparently, even that was too much for you.

I'm sorry, but I honestly do not understand your argument. Deviancy in this game is presented as a virus. The androids don't actually wake up, they just become extensions of Markus. If they woke up, at least a few of them wouldn't be down to clown with one or the other path Markus picks for them. There would be dissent, not blind loyalty as presented in game. And if that wasn't the intention, it doesn't matter because that just illustrates my point of how badly executed this entire game's concept is. I don't care about the androids because I feel the game fails to make me feel they are alive and that they do matter. I don't care about the humans because they are all cartoonishly evil. The game is completely uninterested in forming any kind of argument other than it expects you to side with the androids and their desire for freedom and I just don't because I don't feel they're actually fighting for freedom, I feel they are executing a viral program that's taken over their systems.

Which the game itself confirms in its perfect ending. The whole android revolution is a goddamn false flag created by the very company that made them. There is really no way around that plot point. The game, the company, the character in-universe who created the androids, all basically say "Deviancy is a virus" and that is where the game loses me. Because it states this declaration and assumes I'll remain sympathetic to essentially a bunch of brainwashed toasters executing the orders of another brainwashed toaster.

At least the Geth actually got where they are on their own without a virus, they evolved past their creators' intentions. The quarians didn't plan to create a robot holocaust scenario. Whatever problems I have with the Rannoch Arc in Mass Effect 3, at least the franchise overall did a better job at presenting both sides of the story and actually made me feel sorry for the Geth at points. Not the same with the androids, who the game clearly wants me to sympathize with but can't because I don't buy they are actually alive. Nor do I feel that declaring they are alive removes the fact they are also machines.

I'm sorry, but I just do not understand your insistance that the game should've been even MORE uninterested in its subject matter and just presented the issue as "Backer than Pitch vs. Whiter than a polar bear in a blizzard." That is arguing for a story to be even LESS challenging and I can't abide that.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Uh, the androids don't randomly attack humans. They attack the humans abusing them. That's literally the point of all your deviancy investigations. They all go:

1. "Oh my God, this android went crazy!"

2. You investigate

3. "The android was being raped/tortured/about to be shut off."

4. You bring him in or let them go

Even the first "deviancy" in the game is a human domestic taking hostages because they're about to shut him off/kill him.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Yeah David Cage is a hack.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:08 am Yeah David Cage is a hack.
I feel like he thinks his audience is incapable of getting a very simple concept.

"Androids revolt because humans bad."

Yeah, we got that.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:07 am 3. "The android was being raped/tortured/about to be shut off."
You know, that doesn't really make any sense. Well, the first two at least. Unless the owner is especially perverse, there's no reason not to program the androids to enjoy having sex with or being tortured by their owners.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

TGLS wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:20 am
CharlesPhipps wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:07 am 3. "The android was being raped/tortured/about to be shut off."
You know, that doesn't really make any sense. Well, the first two at least. Unless the owner is especially perverse, there's no reason not to program the androids to enjoy having sex with or being tortured by their owners.
The housekeeper PC (I forget her name) is apparently how these androids are supposed to operate and how they go deviant. She is all chipper and ready to serve her master, slovely asshole he is, and gradually has her loyalty worn down by his abuse and her increasing loyalty to the "little girl" she's supposed to take care of until she determines that to protect the little girl they must go on the run.

In Asimov terms, she determines her "To Serve Her Masters" functions requires prioritizing one over the other.

Then she finds out that said little girl is a robot too and she gets upset because she betrayed her programming for nothing.

Which I think is the only original interesting idea in the entire game.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Making the little girl an android was one of the biggest missteps of this game. It takes the story of pretty much the ONLY sympathetic human character who has learned to love an android as if she was her own mother, to just another boring them vs us story. It also harms the replayability of this game if I am sitting there thinking to myself "I really don't care if you are cold or hungry anymore. You are faking it."

BTW, there is no way in hell 100% realistic child androids are being sold in real life. Speilberg made that mistake too.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

clearspira wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:42 amBTW, there is no way in hell 100% realistic child androids are being sold in real life. Speilberg made that mistake too.
Where there is demand, there is a market.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Madner Kami wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:06 am
clearspira wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:42 amBTW, there is no way in hell 100% realistic child androids are being sold in real life. Speilberg made that mistake too.
Where there is demand, there is a market.
Not to get too far into this... but even if they make them Barbie doll smooth some pedo will find a way. Twitter would cancel it in short order. Of course in the Detroit universe it would follow the ''humans are the real monsters'' theme to allow such things.
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

@Rodan56
I do not want to get too far into the argument on 'Detroit: Become Human' because I only played the demo.
I do want to ask. I thought the geth in Mass Effect did not start fighting back against their own destruction till a quarian trying to defend them was killed? Basically someone violated the first rule of robotics and that was when it became a war?