'Detroit: Become Human - It's Bad' - [uricksaladbar]

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Re: 'Detroit: Become Human - It's Bad' - [uricksaladbar]

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:35 pm No it really isn't. Again you are completely ignoring how they got there and claiming their the victims.
I think we're talking past each other because I am saying it was bad writing to put them there in that position if not actually gross.

The Geth apologia is like Horde apologia.

It diminishes the story.
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:20 am
Thebestoftherest wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:35 pm No it really isn't. Again you are completely ignoring how they got there and claiming their the victims.
I think we're talking past each other because I am saying it was bad writing to put them there in that position if not actually gross.

The Geth apologia is like Horde apologia.

It diminishes the story.
Please expand on your statement of 'gross'.
And I think it wise to not bring WoW writing into anything. As that seems to be shifting writers rejecting what a predecessor did and going back and forth on who is the badguy flavor of the month. And I think that is bad writing.

The quarian/geth war and history I think is nuanced. Though I might be using the wrong term. But there is a bit of depth in that neither side may be exactly lying. A lie being a deliberate falsehood. But an untruth being something you believe, that happens to not be true.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Nealithi wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:48 pm
Please expand on your statement of 'gross'.
There's a lot of anti-refugee and stateless people rhetoric in the world. Stuff that is actively used against them and designed to portray them as potential dangers to society as a whole or people who deserved to be rejected by their nation. The Quarians get a lot of this in-universe and for the early games, the treatment of the Quarians is sympathetic. However, the Geth's treatment pretty much increasingly treats the Quarians as the bad guys in the war and their exile from their homeland as something justified by their ancestors being xenophobic genocidal racists. That's something that I find terribly offensive and seems designed to write around the fact the Geth are the people who are living on worlds where all Quarian life has been exterminated and hold absolute power.

But no, the Quarians are the baddies for wanting to return and did all the evil in their fight.

It's disturbing to me.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Your disturb because both sides aren't unreasonable A holes, like in dragon age 2?
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:43 am Your disturb because both sides aren't unreasonable A holes, like in dragon age 2?
When one side is genocidal assholes and the other side is blameless victims--while the former are the refugees and displaced peoples analogue?

You don't see an issue.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Again context, the machines will allow the Quarians back at any time, they just need to return and not try to kill them all. They are only refugee because of misplace pride.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:25 am Again context, the machines will allow the Quarians back at any time, they just need to return and not try to kill them all. They are only refugee because of misplace pride.
Yes, why would you write them that way?

Anyway, I'm done.