Trek Moments You Can't Wait For Chuck to Talk About

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Frustration
Captain

Re: Trek Moments You Can't Wait For Chuck to Talk About

Post by Frustration »

DoctorWTF wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:48 amThis episode is the perfect example of how the line between "legitimate humanitarian aid" and "interfering" seems to be drawn and redrawn pretty much wherever the plot needs it to be.
It seems pretty clear to me: out of humanitarian compassion, the Enterprise would repair the malfunctioning ship - not giving them access to any technologies they didn't possess, but making the technologies they DID possess work properly, so that the crew didn't die in space and the ostensibly critical cargo could be delivered.

Revealing that the supposedly critical medical treatment was merely an addictive drug would be making a judgment call as to what sorts of societies the aliens should have, essentially imposing the Federation's opinions as to what appropriate behavior for them should be. But remaining silent and letting one world predate on another in the guise of medical care is abhorrent - thus the central conflict.

The problem is resolved by realizing that they're not obligated to help repair the ships necessary to deliver the drugs from one world to another, and refuse to do so on the grounds that this action would also be interference - a stance that appears heartless and cruel to the suffering planet, which will likely develop a different opinion once they realize what's really been going on.

It's a nuanced and sophisticated quandary with an elegant solution.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

I feel like "respect for other species" kind of hits a wall when one species is conducting a con game. Then it becomes abetting.

But yes, there's the argument that Federation getting drawn into exposing the con is an issue as well.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

I assume that it would not be very easy to deal with this situation lightly when deciding to do so in a fully engaging planetary civil manner. If anything, it would be the Federation's job to oversee this whole thing, and not a captain of a federation ship (really this is more of a voyager episode). But yeah still, this seems very likely to lead to more unrest than the Enterprise is capable of handling on the preyed upon planet's side of things.

I've always found it profoundly hilarious when Picard face palms near the start of the episode when Riker has to clarify the question he asked about engineering maintenance on the other ship. It's my second favorite joke in the whole show.
Power laces... alright.
Shuboy07
Officer

Post by Shuboy07 »

There's a scene in Shakaar that I really want to hear Chuck react to. The moment where Sisko uses THE PRIME DIRECTIVE to tell Kai Winn off. Like Chuck, I dislike the way the Prime Directive ended up being used as a plot device but seeing Sisko piss off Winn by invoking it just brought a smile to my face.
DoctorWTF
Redshirt

Post by DoctorWTF »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:16 pm I feel like "respect for other species" kind of hits a wall when one species is conducting a con game. Then it becomes abetting.

But yes, there's the argument that Federation getting drawn into exposing the con is an issue as well.
Reminds me of the episode "The First Duty" where Picard slams Wesley for not fully confessing to the dangerous stunt his team had pulled, going on about how a Starfleet officer's first duty is to the truth.

And it's somewhat debatable whether merely exposing the con would qualify as "imposing the Federation's opinions" on anybody - they're just giving out information and letting the people decide what to do with it.
Nightbeat74
Officer

Post by Nightbeat74 »

i for one can not wait for chuck to talk about Data's day! it is a nice breather episode that sets up future plot lines.
chaos42
Officer

Post by chaos42 »

id like to see the price -just because it has a lot of great moments of troy being useless
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

chaos42 wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:40 pm id like to see the price -just because it has a lot of great moments of troy being useless
Good moral dilemma in that ep. What is the difference between using empathic abilities to earn money and using it in a negotiation between starships? Answer: Troi certainly doesn't know. But boy! What she judgemental about it!

Good use of the Ferengi too. They are still evil but are also kind of DS9-ish.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Yeah, The Price is an episode that really doesn't rise above being the sum of its parts, but it does have some pretty interesting parts.
chaos42
Officer

Post by chaos42 »

it was one of those things that made me think when i was younger. i thought -ok he has slight abilities to read people and he uses that to help him manipulate them. Plus people don't know he is, doesn't that make him a con man more than a negotiator. but troy uses this power all the time. some times badly but at least she is known to be one by the crew -because she is the shrink on board, but what about all the aliens they meet, they don't know about telepathic or empathic abilities, then i though thats why she aways says things so general or that its hard to read them its the writers copping out so they don't have to use her story breaking powers, because if they don't then no one can lie around her and with out that their is no mysteries or anything.