DIS - New Eden

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Nealithi
Captain

Re: DIS - New Eden

Post by Nealithi »

Fianna wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:09 pm
Link8909 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:53 pm I can think of two times of the top of my head when General Order 1 was shown to be good, "Who Watches the Watchers" and Into Darkness.
There's also that time where violating the Prime Directive created a Planet of Gangsters. And then another time when it created a Planet of Nazis.
"Didn't your Federation make a gangster planet?"

"That was an accident because a bad book was misplaced."

"Ahuh, and the Nazi planet?"

"How did you find out about that one? I mean I am sure I have no idea what you are referring to."
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:17 pm I mean, if you were Hindu and rescued by the Angel, you'd probably not convert as you were among those raptured.
'Red Angel' is just a name, given by those who found a concept in their culture that provided a rough match for what they experienced. Hinduism doesn't have 'angels' as such, but a Hindu would probably think of the name of some being from their religious tradition and apply it to the anomalous entity - possibly 'deva'.

Heck, there are Hindus who worship Jesus Christ as an avatar of Vishnu. I don't think an inexplicable red entity that saves people is going to be any kind of insurmountable puzzle to people from a non-Abrahamic background.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

It's called an angel because it has wings. You probably don't worship the Greek pantheon, but if a 12ft tall man in a toga with a laurel wreath saved you from certain death you might factor that into a theological explanation of the experience.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:22 am It's called an angel because it has wings.
[Rose]: "If you're an alien, how come you've got a Northern accent?"
[The Doctor]: "Lots of planets have a North!"

Don't read too much into a single feature of the entity; in Western iconography, devils are often represented as being red, but no one suggests the 'Red Angel' is demonic. I can easily imagine Hindus calling it the "Winged Deva".
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:22 am It's called an angel because it has wings. You probably don't worship the Greek pantheon, but if a 12ft tall man in a toga with a laurel wreath saved you from certain death you might factor that into a theological explanation of the experience.
May I introduce you to Zephyros, the personification of the western wind?

His brothers looked very similar to him.

This is Ninurta, god of agriculture, hunting and war in ancient mesopotamia.

Garuda, the flying mount of Vishnu is sometimes depicted this way:

Isis and her sister Nepthys looked like this:

Lammasu, an Assyrian godess originally looked like this:

Though the later interpretations got a bit more chimeric in nature.

A Pari or Peri from the persian folkore:

And if you allow for more bird-esque variants of "angels", there's a myriad more you can find in the more animistic-influenced regions of the world, particularly eastern and south-eastern asia, but also in the Americas...
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Whelp, you schooled me. I stand corrected.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville