Ghostbusters (2016) Reboot: Does Anyone Actually Remember This?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Frustration
Captain

Re: Ghostbusters (2016) Reboot: Does Anyone Actually Remember This?

Post by Frustration »

I think we can all agree that the recent Star Wars movies are of the Devil and shouldn't be brought up under any circumstances.

We'll have to wait and see how the re-re-boot of Ghostbusters is handled.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
Rocketboy1313
Captain

Post by Rocketboy1313 »

Frustration wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:58 pm I think we can all agree that the recent Star Wars movies are of the Devil and shouldn't be brought up under any circumstances.

We'll have to wait and see how the re-re-boot of Ghostbusters is handled.
No., they are not the devil.

People can talk about whatever.

Just don't be shitty about it.
My Blog: http://rocketboy1313.blogspot.com/
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rocketboy1313
My Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/rocketboy1313
My Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/13rocketboy13
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Yeah, I do feel the sequel trilogy while flaw and debataly bad by the end, is overly hated.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:15 am Yeah, I do feel the sequel trilogy while flaw and debataly bad by the end, is overly hated.
We can discuss the overly hated part in new post.

But there is a common issue that came from Ghostbusters 2016 and Star Wars. Specifically The Last Jedi.

Both have the studio and director both calling the fans who hated their movies being basement neckbeard manbabies that hate strong woman characters. Even the Ghostbusters director chimed in for Rian Johnson at one point.

Keep in mind for the most part the criticism of both movies are very different. Though some have argued about a feminist element in The Last Jedi too. Usually around Holdo and Rey being a Mary Sue.
I got nothing to say here.
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

Rey is technically not a Mary Sue - that's an author-insert character who is skilled at everything and has no flaws or detectable limits.

Rey IS an overly-skilled character that acquires powers without effort, difficulty, or even time spent between discovery and mastery. It's not so much that she conveniently discovers powers, I feel, but that their discovery isn't handled well. The famous scene where she first uses the Jedi Mind Trick presents it as something he's intentionally doing even if she shouldn't have any understanding of it, when it would have made far more sense for her to have done it completely by accident.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

McAvoy wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:59 amWhat made Alien work is that the script was written for no one is particular.
The issue therein is that Alien was written to be an inversion of the typical 50s Sci-Fi horror film with the rape connotations being swapped from women towards men. It stands good reason then to swap the protagonist from the typical heroic male to a female.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Beastro wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:05 am
McAvoy wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:59 amWhat made Alien work is that the script was written for no one is particular.
The issue therein is that Alien was written to be an inversion of the typical 50s Sci-Fi horror film with the rape connotations being swapped from women towards men. It stands good reason then to swap the protagonist from the typical heroic male to a female.
That wasn't how it worked though. The whole script was written gender less. It was only during the casting it was suggested to make the character Ripley female. For no particular reason either.

That and Ripley never had a face hugger on her face and wasn't written for her to be either.
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

McAvoy wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:14 am
That wasn't how it worked though. The whole script was written gender less. It was only during the casting it was suggested to make the character Ripley female. For no particular reason either.

That and Ripley never had a face hugger on her face and wasn't written for her to be either.
I thought O'Bannon wrote it specifically with that in mind and it was a big reason why he wasn't happy with how the movie turned out. He felt they'd made the (male) rape connotations too vague and erased his aim of making in the style of a 50s deliberately to satirize movies of that era. He wasn't happy that it wasn't a B-movie.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Beastro wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:15 pm
McAvoy wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:14 am

I thought O'Bannon wrote it specifically with that in mind and it was a big reason why he wasn't happy with how the movie turned out. He felt they'd made the (male) rape connotations too vague and erased his aim of making in the style of a 50s deliberately to satirize movies of that era. He wasn't happy that it wasn't a B-movie.
I am not an expert in the making of Alien. So you might be right.

I did watch the making of the movie on YouTube months ago though.
Winter
Captain

Post by Winter »

Frustration wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:24 pm Rey is technically not a Mary Sue - that's an author-insert character who is skilled at everything and has no flaws or detectable limits.

Rey IS an overly-skilled character that acquires powers without effort, difficulty, or even time spent between discovery and mastery. It's not so much that she conveniently discovers powers, I feel, but that their discovery isn't handled well. The famous scene where she first uses the Jedi Mind Trick presents it as something he's intentionally doing even if she shouldn't have any understanding of it, when it would have made far more sense for her to have done it completely by accident.
What's weird is that Disney has avoided this in their other medias like in The Owl House. Luz has to learn how to use magic and she's been shown to be outclassed by just about everyone else in the main cast with a few exceptions and those she has defeated she's done through hard work and clever thinking.

Luz did not learn her first spell until the 4th episode and it took 8 episodes after that to learn her next one. The power difference is REALLY shown in Agony of a Witch and, well just watch, time stamp 2:21

youtu.be/aIEeGyd3EOU

Contrast this with Rey who, after 5 or 10 minutes of learning that she has the Force is able to use a Jedi Mind trick, Force Pull and best Kylo Ren in a Lightsaber Duel. Rey does in minutes what took other character years to learn and this is never explained or elaborated on, Rey is just good at this.

To take another example from a series I've praised several times, She-Ra and the Princesses of Power, Adora's skills in using her magic aren't that impressive and most of what she does is more about her using her combat training that's she's learned over the years. She's a gifted hand to hand fighter and is trained in just about every weapon but her use of She-Ra's magic is VERY limited and she only manages to stay alive because she is the most powerful of the Princesses.

On top of that, keep in mind that Adora and Luz have had her fair share of loses while Rey has never really lost... anything. She's a more skilled pilot then Poe, a better fighter then Finn and she is skilled in machines and hacking so BB8 is useless. And, again, she's better in the Force then anyone else in the Entire Series. Yoda isn't as powerful as her.

Again, in stories like The Owl House, Amphibia, Raya and the Last Dragon, Frozen and pretty much every other resent Disney Princess film Disney HAS done a good job at writing competent, yet flawed, female characters... So, WTF is going on with their live-action films?