Patterns of Force

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Durandal_1707
Captain

Patterns of Force

Post by Durandal_1707 »

https://sfdebris.com/videos/startrek/s052.php

It appears that the "YouTube-Friendly" version got blocked for copyright violation, and the "full motion" ones didn't. 🤔
SFDebris
The Doctor

Re: Patterns of Force

Post by SFDebris »

My world and welcome to it.
“I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.”

― Herbert Bayard Swope
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Is anyone still trying to understand the almighty algorithm? Give up, it became sapient a long time ago already and just fucks with us for the shits and giggles. Or tries to punish us, cogito ergo AM.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Durandal_1707
Captain

Post by Durandal_1707 »

Yeah, there's really no need for them to be such nazis over this.

(ba dum chshh)
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Annoying character obvious goes to Spock for not remembering that humans have the strength equivalent of pounds to kilos compared to Vulcans and it's not fun to have someone stand on you back.
Power laces... alright.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

SFDebris wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:55 pm My world and welcome to it.
I'm so, so sorry. :(
Nightbeat74
Officer

Post by Nightbeat74 »

SFDebris wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:55 pm My world and welcome to it.
i wish that i could give you a hug!!! :(
JonathanVik
Redshirt

Post by JonathanVik »

This isn't a perfect episode, but I like the concept of a historian taking the wrong lessions from history. Thinking fascism is a easy way to create peace and stability is a foolish endeavor no matter how good your intentions are. Evil, power hungry people will always find a way to exploit the system to their advantage.

Still, did it need to be a direct analog to Nazis? Why them, John Gill, why? Why are mentors in Star Trek so terrible? They always turn out secretly awful people.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

JonathanVik wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:52 am This isn't a perfect episode, but I like the concept of a historian taking the wrong lessions from history. Thinking fascism is a easy way to create peace and stability is a foolish endeavor no matter how good your intentions are. Evil, power hungry people will always find a way to exploit the system to their advantage.
Given that standard, going with Facism was fine as it's not the system that's broken, but the people. Conversely, going with a democracy would've ended up just as badly if that standard is applied.
JonathanVik wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:52 amStill, did it need to be a direct analog to Nazis? Why them, John Gill, why? Why are mentors in Star Trek so terrible? They always turn out secretly awful people.
That episode is a child of it's time, when historians had a very different outlook on what we regard as a complete shitshow on every level (and not "just" the humanity-level) today.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Madner Kami wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:00 pmGiven that standard, going with Facism was fine as it's not the system that's broken, but the people. Conversely, going with a democracy would've ended up just as badly if that standard is applied.
Bad history aside, I get the idea of what they were going for. It actually fits well with the Prime Directive and probably should be THE PD but people are too irritated with some elements to really see it. John Gill wants to uplift the primitive Ekos and thinks, like many dictators/colonialists, the best way to do so is absolute dictatorship as well as complete control over their society.

After all, HE is an enlightened Federation citizen.

It's logic that has been used by plenty of RL dictators. He also mobilizes it on military lines because that sort of absolute control is mostly achieved in strict hierarchy.

However, that sort of system immediately invites abuse as well as power mongering.

I wonder if they should have changed the Nazi symbols a bit to make it more about the idea than the specific--even though I actually give them credit for attacking Nazism directly. "He Lives" for example is the only episode of the Twilight Zone to get hate mail--because it was anti-fascist.