Rittenhouse Trial Outcome - Protests Emerge

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
clearspira
Overlord

Re: Rittenhouse Trial Outcome - Protests Emerge

Post by clearspira »

TGLS wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:37 pm
ProfessorDetective wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:18 am Okay, Cliff's Notes? What exactly happened here?
Self-defense laws are badly designed in the US and the situation here effectively awarded whoever shot first with an affirmative defense.
Isn't it more a case of ''the second amendment is functionally outdated?''

Here's the sequence of events as I see it:

1) He has the legal right to own a gun.
2) He apparently has the legal right to be carrying it where he did.
3) He has the legal right to use it in what he considers to be self defence.
4) Everyone loses their shit when he ends up using the gun in what he considered to be self defence.

Yes, you could say, ''the problem is what constitutes self defence'' and that is true to a point. But it is even more true to say that the founding fathers never saw 2021 coming. As evidenced by the third amendment which I believe goes something along the lines of ''thou shalt not detain a soldier and cut him up him up into little pieces.''
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

clearspira wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:42 pm
ProfessorDetective wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:18 am Okay, Cliff's Notes? What exactly happened here?
Self-defense laws are badly designed in the US and the situation here effectively awarded whoever shot first with an affirmative defense.
It's a mix of both and with the strong second amendment, changing the way self-defense works is probably the easier route.

Here's an article about this: https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2021/11 ... lysis.html
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

clearspira wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:42 pm

Here's the sequence of events as I see it:

1) He has the legal right to own a gun.
2) He apparently has the legal right to be carrying it where he did.
3) He has the legal right to use it in what he considers to be self defence.
4) Everyone loses their shit when he ends up using the gun in what he considered to be self defence.

Yes, you could say, ''the problem is what constitutes self defence'' and that is true to a point. But it is even more true to say that the founding fathers never saw 2021 coming. As evidenced by the third amendment which I believe goes something along the lines of ''thou shalt not detain a soldier and cut him up him up into little pieces.''
The idea that the second amendment is outdated is a common argument of the American left.
..What mirror universe?
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

The Kyle Rittenhouse Case - 7 Things You Should Know

I like a pundit with a sense of humor!
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Frustration wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:23 pm The Kyle Rittenhouse Case - 7 Things You Should Know

I like a pundit with a sense of humor!
If Rittenhouse isn't guilty then why did he break down crying when the verdict came?
..What mirror universe?
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Post by ProfessorDetective »

Good grief, where are we? Tombstone, Arizona circa 1875?
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

ProfessorDetective wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:40 pm
You know, the democrats were the bad guys then, right?
..What mirror universe?
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Ayup. From NYMag:
Put differently: Once Rittenhouse fired his first shots, he and his attackers plausibly entered a context in which neither could be held legally liable for killing the other. Whether one emerged from this confrontation legally innocent or lawfully executed hinged on little more than one’s relative capacity for rapidly deploying lethal violence.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Spam-desu
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

TGLS wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:09 am
Ayup. From NYMag:
Put differently: Once Rittenhouse fired his first shots, he and his attackers plausibly entered a context in which neither could be held legally liable for killing the other. Whether one emerged from this confrontation legally innocent or lawfully executed hinged on little more than one’s relative capacity for rapidly deploying lethal violence.
So in your opinion, is the plea of defense in this particular case of fatality shoddy, or were people actually trying to confront him in the escalated situation where one or more people had a firearm?
..What mirror universe?
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:46 am
TGLS wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:09 am
Ayup. From NYMag:
So in your opinion, is the plea of defense in this particular case of fatality shoddy, or were people actually trying to confront him in the escalated situation where one or more people had a firearm?
Well, there was someone else who was armed with a gun:
Gaige Grosskreutz, 28, approached and pointed a handgun at Rittenhouse; Rittenhouse nearly blew Grosskreutz’s right arm off.
In a counter-factual situation, where Grosskreutz blew Rittenhouse away, the prosecution would have had to prove that Grosskreutz didn't reasonably believe that shooting Rittenhouse would spare themself or others from imminent harm or that Grosskreutz had engaged in unlawful conduct that would provoke others to attack. Given that Grosskreutz was attracted by the previously fired shots and could not have known the entire situation (i.e. Rittenhouse was acting in self defense), it proves difficult to convict hypothetical Grosskreutz.
Spam-desu