Star Trek: Discovery - spoilery thoughts?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
GandALF
Officer

Re: Star Trek: Discovery - thoughts?

Post by GandALF »

So Lorca doesn't go down with the away team? What kind of captain is he?
technobabbler
Officer

Post by technobabbler »

I'm willing to handwave the Deus Ex Evolution of a planet which just happens to have a magic bio-MacGuffin superior to Starfleet tech----but the writers are riding the line.

Oh ya, it would've been nice if Starfleet towed away the Klingon cloak ship while they were rescuing Michelle Yeoh's telescope.
J!!
Captain

Post by J!! »

that assumes they could find it
Fixer
Doctor's Assistant

Post by Fixer »

That last episode was really odd. Though it had some classic Star Trek concepts, the janky special effects, pacing uncomfortable character interactions that really didn't tell us anything made it feel like I watched an hour of nothing.
Thread ends here. Cut along dotted line.
------8<--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
technobabbler
Officer

Post by technobabbler »

Fixer wrote:That last episode was really odd.
some people on Reddit say/hypothesize that the original season cliffhanger has re-edited into two episodes, last week's and next's.

given the mess of the three subplots, I think having a 3-part mid-season finale/cliffhanger would've made sense---giving more time to Saru, Michael and Ash on the Trek-Na'vi planet for some character development.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

This episode was okay, but highlighted the dangers of doing this kind of serialized storytelling (if not careful). The planet/alien of the week felt barely explored. It was a plot point needed for the larger story, so that's all it does. I think it might have at least worked a little better if they'd picked up a strange transmission from it in a previous episode to set up the investigation that took place here. Because we spent so much time with the Klingons, we barely had time to focus on the planet or Saru's experience (thankfully, it also kept the forced romance plot to a minimum).

The Klingon plot worked much better this time, at least. L'Rell is turning out to be the most interesting character in the Klingon segments. But I'm left wondering: is Admiral Cornwell dead? It was shot in a way that implied she was not, and it seemed like they shared a moment of improvisation during the escape, but we're not given any indication of her actual fate. Seems like a set-up for a future surprise "resurrection".
Paul Walker
Officer

Post by Paul Walker »

[quote="Deledrius"]This episode was okay, but highlighted the dangers of doing this kind of serialized storytelling (if not careful). The planet/alien of the week felt barely explored. It was a plot point needed for the larger story, so that's all it does. I think it might have at least worked a little better if they'd picked up a strange transmission from it in a previous episode to set up the investigation that took place here. Because we spent so much time with the Klingons, we barely had time to focus on the planet or Saru's experience (thankfully, it also kept the forced romance plot to a minimum).

The Klingon plot worked much better this time, at least. L'Rell is turning out to be the most interesting character in the Klingon segments. But I'm left wondering: is Admiral Cornwell dead? It was shot in a way that implied she was not, and it seemed like they shared a moment of improvisation during the escape, but we're not given any indication of her actual fate. Seems like a set-up for a future surprise "resurrection"./quote]

Given the name of the episode in which Admiral Cornwell was captured, I'm currently interested in this character from the Original Series:

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Lethe
"We are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Paul Walker wrote: Given the name of the episode in which Admiral Cornwell was captured, I'm currently interested in this character from the Original Series:

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Lethe
Hmm. I could see them doing that. The title had relevance without it, but if true it gives a double-meaning to it. Good catch.
GandALF
Officer

Post by GandALF »

So was B'Etor trying to restore the creepy part of old Klingon society?
Fixer
Doctor's Assistant

Post by Fixer »

Definitely kept the tradition of discreet starfleet sensor devices being large, brightly lit and loud. Good job the error siren didn't go off.
Thread ends here. Cut along dotted line.
------8<--------------------------------------------------------------------------------