TOS: A Taste of Armageddon

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Frustration
Captain

Re: TOS: A Taste of Armageddon

Post by Frustration »

TGLS wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:08 pm Sure. Then if you don't get vaccinated you can lose your job and stay inside for the next whenever. Don't want that?

Get the fucking jab.
That's for the business to decide. If you don't work for the government, the government shouldn't have any say in the matter.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Frustration wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:25 pm
TGLS wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:08 pm Sure. Then if you don't get vaccinated you can lose your job and stay inside for the next whenever. Don't want that?

Get the fucking jab.
That's for the business to decide. If you don't work for the government, the government shouldn't have any say in the matter.
Tell that to Tennessee and Montana. And to Iowa, Florida and Kansas for subsidizing those who quit over employer policy.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... t-benefits
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

That's as much an inappropriate action on the part of government as imposing requirements.

See, the problem with genuinely wanting government to have strictly limited power in the US is that, aside from a very tiny minority, no one, and I mean no one, is the least bit interested. Virtually everyone wants government to have the power to enforce their own opinions by proxy.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

The EU is now talking about mandatory vaccination for all.

Glad I voted to leave. ''Ooh! But your shelves are slightly empty!''
Small price to pay for the government not forcing needles into my arm at presumably the whip of a policeman as you ain't enforcing that shit any other way. And people still maintain that Covid hasn't shown us just how hollow the liberal democracies of the West in fact are. At least China is honest about it.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

I lived in West Virginia where vaccines are mandatory and have no exemptions.

And it didn't suddenly turn into the Galactic Empire.

Why? Because not being vaccinated is stupid.
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

Freedom doesn't mean much if it's only freedom to do things you approve of, CharlesPhipps.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Frustration wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:08 pm Freedom doesn't mean much if it's only freedom to do things you approve of, CharlesPhipps.
Freedom requires the law to protect people from violence for expression or society devolves into fascism and tyranny. The freedom to spread disease to children, civilians, and other bystanders is not freedom. It is protection of violence.

Same as you're not free to drive drunk or kill people.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:25 am
Frustration wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:08 pm Freedom doesn't mean much if it's only freedom to do things you approve of, CharlesPhipps.
Freedom requires the law to protect people from violence for expression or society devolves into fascism and tyranny. The freedom to spread disease to children, civilians, and other bystanders is not freedom. It is protection of violence.

Nailed it. This is the truth that is often ignored about Freedom.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

Amen to that. I have no problem at all with getting vaccinated. I got vaccinated as soon as I could. I have very, very big problems with medication being compelled by law. Compulsory medication is a line that should not be crossed and I have an extremely dim view of anyone who disagrees.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:25 am

Drink driving and murder are prohibitions, not compulsions. An important difference. They also involved behaviour that directly impacts other people - the result of your chosen actions, rather than simply existing.

Defending compulsory medication just shows how easily people can go down very dark and disturbing paths when they get frightened, something that's been used throughout history to manipulate people (perhaps with good intentions, perhaps not, although they say the road to hell is paved with good intentions).