Ghostbusters (2016) Reboot: Does Anyone Actually Remember This?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Madner Kami
Captain

Re: Ghostbusters (2016) Reboot: Does Anyone Actually Remember This?

Post by Madner Kami »

clearspira wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:50 pm No country in the world is 100% capitalist anyway. The last time we really saw one of those was in the 19th century when we told the poor to sink or swim.
I feel that is or was a very bad and self-limiting capitalist system. Money has no inherent value. Money only has a value the moment you exchange it for a service or a good. As such, you'll want to keep the money moving at all times. Shutting out a sizeable part of the available population from the money-circulation will inherently damage the value of the money, because it limits the flow of the money. The more people want a good or a service and the more people can afford it, the better for everyone participating in that economy. People like Henry Ford got that right at the very least and you just need to have a look around you to find prove to that point.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

The thing about capitalism is it is designed to GENERATE wealth because there's no need for wealth to remain a static size. The goal should be generating enough wealth for everyone to live comfortably and to distribute it that way.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

clearspira wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:50 pm No country in the world is 100% capitalist anyway. The last time we really saw one of those was in the 19th century when we told the poor to sink or swim.
Offhand the only country that was like that was the US until the government started to step in. Safety, child labor laws, monopolies etc.
I got nothing to say here.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

McAvoy wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:10 am
Offhand the only country that was like that was the US until the government started to step in. Safety, child labor laws, monopolies etc.
Eh, those laws started with the Industrial Revolution in Britain.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:57 am
McAvoy wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:10 am
Eh, those laws started with the Industrial Revolution in Britain.
Well I said the US...
phantom000
Captain

Post by phantom000 »

I never saw the 2016 version. I saw the trailer once and decided they completely missed the point of what Ghostbusters is, more like a parody than a reboot and I was never a big fan of parody so I passed it up.

And Winter is right about it just being a footnote in the franchise because the only reason I am posting now is because I just got back from seeing Ghostbusters: Afterlife in the theater.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

I mean, honestly this fourm is the first time I heard anyone talk about this film in years, ghostbuster 2 got talk about more.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:15 am I mean, honestly this fourm is the first time I heard anyone talk about this film in years, ghostbuster 2 got talk about more.
My guess is because it's been five years since the movie came out. And of course the new one is out now.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Honestly the only thing I remember about GB2016 was the negative reaction to it.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:43 pm The thing about capitalism is it is designed to GENERATE wealth because there's no need for wealth to remain a static size. The goal should be generating enough wealth for everyone to live comfortably and to distribute it that way.
What should it do once it's capable of doing that - which most Western countries have been capable of doing for many decades now? Historically both the distribution of wealth and the total amount meant that it wasn't possible for everyone to live comfortably, now it's really just the distribution (although in any system there will always be some who fall through the cracks).