Christmas Show 2021

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
TGLS
Captain

Re: Christmas Show 2021

Post by TGLS »

clearspira wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:47 pm
TGLS wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:04 pm Dec-17 clue up & bonus: It probably won't remind you of covid.
Good. I don't mean to criticise Chuck unduly, but I would hardly call last year's film a festive treat when we were actually living through it at the time.
I wonder if this is what it feels like to put a WW2 movie on for grandpa?
I kind of saw what Chuck was going for, and I found it interesting how there were some echoes between the fictional disease and the real one. Though I suppose part to most of that is Contagion being a movie about "SARS but much worse this time".
CrypticMirror wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:54 pm
TGLS wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:02 am OK, so I have permission to provide a list of clues for the Christmas show for this year. I'll provide 1 a day up until Christmas.

Dec-15) None of the cast went on to anything of note.

Had they done anything of note prior, though?
My lips are sealed, and all will be revealed in due time.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

OK... i'm going to throw someone into consideration here. The most often reviewed and quoted creator on this site is easily Joss Whedon.
Chuck has reviewed of his: Cabin in the Woods, Titan AE, Atlantis Lost Empire, Firefly.
And I am sure that Chuck has made references to: Serenity, Alien Resurrection, Toy Story, Twister and the MCU; all things that Whedon has had a hand in.

If you want to stretch how one defines the term ''other works'' then he has been in a lot of stuff that has almost certainly been referenced on The Simpsons and is old enough to have been pre-SFDebris.

The problem I keep coming back to is the idea of the cast going on to do nothing ''of note.'' That is a very subjective term. Does that mean that the actor in question has had small roles in small films, or forgettable roles in big films? To emphasise what I mean here, Whedon actually has a credit on ''Waterworld'' of all things. Both Kevin Costner and Dennis Hopper would very much be relegated to ''forgettable roles in big films'' after this flop. Costner was Pa Kent in Man of Steel - but who really remembers Pa Kent in Man of Steel?
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Dec-18 clue up
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Spam-desu
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

Is it 2001: A Space Odyssey?
Mabus
Captain

Post by Mabus »

clearspira wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:49 pm
Mabus wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:01 pm So it could be I, Robot (2004)? Don't recall Chuck mentioning Akiva Goldsman in his reviews...
How about... A Sound of Thunder (2005)? Though that one would make for a good Christmas special, it doesn't fit 2) and 3).
One of the clues is ''goes on to do nothing of note.'' I Robot has Will Smith in it.
And James Cromwell, Alan Tudyk, Bridget Moynahan, Bruce Greenwood. For some reason I forgot about them and though that hint was about he side cast for some reason.

Now let's see
Dec-18) It is an adaptation.
The only ones that are close enough, but still don't fit all the clues are Christine (1983) by John Carpenter and Maximum Overdrive (1986) by Stephen King. Honestly the latter would have made an excellent Christmas Special, since it's not only it's made by the book writer, it's so ridiculous it feel like a parody of his own book.
Fianna
Captain

Post by Fianna »

What about Westworld (the original movie)?

Chuck's covered stuff by Michael Crichton before, it meets the age criteria and the referenced on The Simpsons criteria (thank you, "Itchy & Scratchy Land"), and while some of the cast had noteworthy roles prior to the film, their subsequent filmographies could arguably be considered not "anything of note".

EDIT: Dang, missed the "adaptation" clue. Forget everything I just said.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Mabus wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:18 pm
clearspira wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:49 pm
Mabus wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:01 pm So it could be I, Robot (2004)? Don't recall Chuck mentioning Akiva Goldsman in his reviews...
How about... A Sound of Thunder (2005)? Though that one would make for a good Christmas special, it doesn't fit 2) and 3).
One of the clues is ''goes on to do nothing of note.'' I Robot has Will Smith in it.
And James Cromwell, Alan Tudyk, Bridget Moynahan, Bruce Greenwood. For some reason I forgot about them and though that hint was about he side cast for some reason.

Now let's see
Dec-18) It is an adaptation.
The only ones that are close enough, but still don't fit all the clues are Christine (1983) by John Carpenter and Maximum Overdrive (1986) by Stephen King. Honestly the latter would have made an excellent Christmas Special, since it's not only it's made by the book writer, it's so ridiculous it feel like a parody of his own book.
It is interesting how the Christmas show has morphed over time as its gone from ''The Worst of the Worst'' to ''not that much different to his normal output.''
I'm not criticising that decision, in fact, I actually think that we have run out of ''The Worst of the Worst'' for the most part unless Chuck rethinks his Star Wars ban. I just think that if it is indeed Christine or Maximum Overdrive, he could have done that any time of year. The Christmas ep used to be the one that you waited for because you knew that it would be special. It would be that one episode or film that you had really wanted to see Chuck cover. But like I say, I really am not complaining despite what it may seem like. Just my opinion.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

It a wonderful life?
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Dec-19 clue up.
Spam-desu
Fianna
Captain

Post by Fianna »

Okay, I may have something:

In 1976, there was a TV movie called Time Travelers. After a lawsuit, it was officially recognized as being an adaptation of a book. None of the cast looks to have gone on to do much of note. And one the film's writers was Rod Serling, who Chuck has already reviewed several times, thanks to The Twilight Zone.

What really makes me think this is plausible? The plot of the film's about time travelers going to the past to find a cure for a deadly virus. After doing Contagion last year, I can't help thinking Chuck might go, "I did a killer virus movie during the pandemic last Christmas; since the pandemic's still going, guess I gotta do another one this Christmas."