Babylon 5: The Quality of Mercy

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
TorroesPrime
Redshirt

Post by TorroesPrime »

I was rather surprised by Chuck take on this episode, listing it as fine because it was somewhat humdrum. Really? I can understand listing it as fine because it doesn't contribute much to the over all ongoing story of the series. But at the same time it provided fore shadowing for Franklin's stim problem in the Doctor, while establishing the premise of the Mind-wipe and what it does. The little peak into the Minbari Culture is likewise another element of fore shadowing. And he completely skipped over the heart of the scene where Rosen used the device to transfer her disease to Muller. Based on Chuck's review of it, she just stole his life but according to the episode itself she didn't take anything from him, she transferred her disease to him and knowingly so. It wasn't an accident or a mistake, it was a deliberate action. And this was one thing that I felt became crucial to the character. The whole Doctors Vow to do no harm is something she adhered to... until she was backed into a corner in regards to protecting her loved one at which point she is capable of being down right cruel and vicious. Again, helping to demonstrate that sort of character arc which is mirrored in Franklin.
Mickey_Rat15
Officer

Re: Babylon 5: The Quality of Mercy

Post by Mickey_Rat15 »

It also established the presence of the alien device itself, which will be used a couple different places. Some of those foreshadowings will not pay off for a couple of seasons. It may seem like a filler episode at first glance, but it is an important one for understanding later developments not to seem like they came out of nowhere.
A managed democracy is a wonderful thing... for the managers... and its greatest strength is a 'free press' when 'free' is defined as 'responsible' and the managers define what is 'irresponsible'.”

― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

I really liked the short exchange of dialogue we got on the doctor's choice.
"You did the right thing."
"No, I did the necessary thing."
It seems like a sentiment very much in line with Chuck's moral compass and thematic preferences.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Nevix
Officer

Post by Nevix »

To me, this episode was really enjoyable. The side plot of Lennier/Londo getting into trouble was hilarious, and the main and sub plots were also quite good, and showed sides of all the characters involved well.

Plus, the foreshadowing pays off down the road, multiple times.

But...you COULD skip this episode, if you really wanted to. I think you'd be missing out on some fun, and some good drama, but you could.
Jokie155
Redshirt

Post by Jokie155 »

I'm still not understanding why the consensus is that Season 1 'isn't very good'. Overall it's the season I go back to most to watch, for having such varied plots and all these bits of worldbuilding scattered throughout, whereas Season 2 in particular had a lot of 'arrogant douchebag of the week' that was either working against the crew, or working with them but in a very obtuse way. And as has been pointed out before, this episode had a lot of extra details that come into play later. I just don't see why the review has to start out with such a dismissive statement.

Actually, come to think of it, this episode also established the exception to 'Mimbari do not lie' that becomes key in a Season 2 episode about a plot to discredit Sherdian, and Londo even directly references the event in tipping off the resolution to him. So, yeah, you really miss a lot by ignoring it.
RobbyB1982
Captain

Post by RobbyB1982 »

Jokie155 wrote:I'm still not understanding why the consensus is that Season 1 'isn't very good'.
Season 1 is fine on it's own merits, but its absolutely weaker compared to season 2-4. Lots of little things that add up.

The acting isn't quite as good and the editing and pacing are generally a lot slower. (especially in the pilot, where even the re-edited version is super slow.) Sinclair has way less charisma than Sheridan, the big ongoing plots hadn't really started yet, JMS wasn't writing every episode, and while little bits here and there added to future continuity a lot of it, were basically filler. Even this particular episode where some of the stuff has future consequences can still be skipped over and summarized in a sentence later, with little lost.

If season 1 had been the only season, B5 would just be remembered as some niche sci-fi show that eventually was completely forgotten, like Time Trax or the Questor Tapes. Not because it's bad perse, but its not really good, either.

It's seasons 2-4 that make it fondly remembered.

(And season 5 had its issues but I feel like the last few episodes in it make it worth the effort.)
FaxModem1
Captain

Post by FaxModem1 »

I really like this episode, mostly for June Lockheart. Most of her portrayal is the standard warm sci-fi mom she was as Maureen Robinson in Lost in Space or as the mom in Lassie. Here, she uses a lot of that, but we also see the dark side of that. When her daughter is threatened, she unleashes her fury, full of hatred and bile at the murderer, the very antithesis of her beliefs. It's quite an effective scene, if only for seeing June Lockheart unleash her fury.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Jokie155 wrote:I'm still not understanding why the consensus is that Season 1 'isn't very good'. Overall it's the season I go back to most to watch, for having such varied plots and all these bits of worldbuilding scattered throughout, whereas Season 2 in particular had a lot of 'arrogant douchebag of the week' that was either working against the crew, or working with them but in a very obtuse way.
I agree. Season 1 is not without its issues, but Sinclair is so much more interesting and likable than Sheridan that it raises Season 1 in my estimation a lot.
animalia
Officer

Post by animalia »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote:I really liked the short exchange of dialogue we got on the doctor's choice.
"You did the right thing."
"No, I did the necessary thing."
It seems like a sentiment very much in line with Chuck's moral compass and thematic preferences.
This. How could he skip this exchange.
Fixer
Doctor's Assistant

Post by Fixer »

So many things from this episode pop up in continuity later.

In addition to that already discussed, Londo learning of the situations in which Mimbari will lie for honor comes up useful in Sheridan's defence when he's accused of killing a Mimbari assassin in a later episode.

Just goes to show's JMS's long term consideration and great consistency in world building.
Thread ends here. Cut along dotted line.
------8<--------------------------------------------------------------------------------